Ends 12/22/2010 12:00 AM
What You Need to Participate
Super Mario Bros. X v1.3, available at the DONWLOAD NOW! link. This is the latest version of SMBX with new features like Ice Flowers and different playable characters. Make sure you download the correct version, the file size should be ~37.6MB. It has everything you need to get started from the player, the editor, and a sample world.
You can also download the SMBX Graphics Pack by Red Yoshi at the bottom of the page. It has a ton of Mario Brothers graphics that you can use in your level with a simple copy+paste!
Just What is Super Mario Brothers X?
Super Mario Bros X is a freeware game engine by Redigit geared towards having the gameplay features and physics of Mario 3 and Super Mario World while adding a ton of cool features and not having to deal with the restrictions of the old (S)NES hardware. Since we first had RMN Bros using 1.2 Beta 4 SMBX has move onto version 1.3 adding new content such as some of the Koopalings, new features such as being able to customize NPCs, and general fixes such as reducing lag in the engine. If you really want to see what SMBX can do, check out these videos showcasing SMBX's capabilities!
- A video showcasing some of the newest features from 1.3
- Collection of clips from Mario vs. The Moon Base, a smaller collaborative project of RMNers with an emphasis on consistancy and quality
- Let's play Super RMN Bros.! by Brickroad showcasing what we done right and what we done wron
- The real time editor of the engine in action!
- Here's a few things SMBX is capable of
- One great level made in SMBX
Games are distributed as a world with levels package they can add to Super Mario Bros X and play from the main game. So far there's no way to make a self contained game so all players will need to download SMBX in order to even play the game. The game does come with a large set of graphics and sounds like the RPG Maker RTPs so everybody at least has a large number of platformer resources to work with (and it'll keep the download of the actual game itself small).
The editor can be tricky to use, especially for beginners. You can ask questions on our SMBX Help thread on our forums! If you have any questions go there for some tips or helpful links.
We also have a tutorials section on RMN for SMBX. As of now it's pretty empty but hopefully members will submit more over time.
- Levels must be compatible with the official release of SMBX 1.3 . aka Use SMBX 1.3 .
- All submissions must be compressed. Downloading *.lvl files is twice the headache than a *.zip or *.rar file. I'm not even going to bother with anything that isn't compressed.
- Each individual submission can't exceed 1MB compressed. You can fill it up with all the custom music or graphics you want but a submission can't exceed this size.
- There is no limit to the number of levels you can submit.
- Rate the difficulty of the level on a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 being easy and 5 being hard.
- The end of level marker is always a star. Each level can only have one star in it. Stars give a progress indicator throughout the game and for individual levels and since all levels will be available at the start of the game Stars are the best way for players to know what levels they've already done.
- The player who got the star can't die after getting the star.
- Water and waterfalls are swimmable as per Mario Bros 3. (No Mario 2 and it's waterfalls don't count). If you want lethal liquids stick with red lava. This is for clarity for players. Blue = Swimmable, Red = Danger!
- You can't finish a level with a Yoshi. This is to prevent players from bringing Yoshis from one level to another and they drastically redefine what a player can do. You can force this by having a pipe/door/warp of some sort that doesn't allow Yoshis prior to any exit.
- The player can't enter a no-win situation. At any point where the player is safe they must be able to complete the level.
- Multiple characters are allowed. (SMBX v1.3 allows the player to play as Mario, Luigi, Toad, Peach or Link.)
- Collectathons are not allowed. SMBX has no way of tracking what items you've collected and Mario takes too much damage to allow such a level.
- Levels that don't meet a minimum level of quality will be rejected.
- Levels must be complete and stars must be possible to acquire.
- If you are creating an autoscrolling level please check the Autoscrolling Tutorial for a guide of how to do it. Using scrolling layers leads to physics and collision issues and levels with these issues will be rejected.
- If a level plays like something you'd expect from a Kaizo-style romhack it will be rejected. Go start your own project if you want yet another impossible Mario game. We're shooting for fun platforming action Mario style that doesn't require precognition, time manipulation, or godlike reaction to beat.
- Levels can't cause SMBX to reach a volatile or glitchy state nor can they cause level/section wide slowdown in SMBX.
- Participants who submitted rejected levels will be notified of such, the cause of rejection, and a period to correct issues.
- All levels will be available at the start of the game. There is no requirement to complete one level to unlock others.
- Yes it will be a world map. (No hub world!)
- Eight worlds, one Mario! (or Luigi, or Toad, or Peach, or Link!)
You must be logged in to sign up for Super RMN Bros. 2.