Ends 05/31/2013 03:59 AM
- The end of level marker is always a star. Each level can only have one star in it. Stars give a progress indicator throughout the game and for individual levels and since all levels will be available at the start of the game Stars are the best way for players to know what levels they've already done.
- You can submit as many levels as you want as long as they fall within the rules.
- Levels that don't meet a minimum level of quality will be rejected. Levels must be complete and all stars must be possible to acquire. Levels also need to be stable and not consistently crash the game. Excessively difficult levels that try to emulate the rage-inducing difficulty of Kaizo Mario or Super Mario Intrigue will also be rejected. This isn't meant to be about finding ways to infuriate the player and SMW rom hacks also have the benefit of save states, rewinds, and functional midpoints. Keep your level difficulty in check.
- No custom music. Custom graphics are allowed.
What You Need to Participate
Super Mario Bros. X v1.2 Beta4, available at the bottom of the OP in the link. This is the latest version of SMBX with extra features that previous stable builds don't have. Make sure you download the correct version, the file size should be ~37.8MB. It has everything you need to get started from the player, the editor, and three sample worlds.
Submitting Your Levels
SMBX puts each level into its own *.lvl file. All you have to do is compress that, any custom graphics your level uses, and a text file with your level name, difficulty out of ten, and any important tidbits of information that you think would be handy to know (like a walkthrough for a puzzle level so I know what to do when making sure that the level can be finished) and submit it! Please keep each level in its own archive.
I'll be making a hub world where players can access any level in any order. The hub will be set up so similar-difficulty levels will be grouped together and levels with similar themes or gimmicks will be separated.
Just What is Super Mario Brothers X?
Super Mario Bros X is a freeware game engine by Redigit geared towards having the gameplay features and physics of Mario 3 and Super Mario World while adding a ton of cool features and not having to deal with the restrictions of the old (S)NES hardware. There's a lot it can do (and unfortunately some it can't, yet) but these videos do a much better job of showing it than I could explain:
- A video showcasing some of the newest features
- Also features a real time editor! (too bad the interface really needs some work though)
- One level that was made using SMBX
- Another which showcases custom graphics and sounds
- An old video of a previous build but it still has some stuff to showcase (like coop play with on-the-fly split screen!)
Games are distributed as a world with levels package they can add to Super Mario Bros X and play from the main game. So far there's no way to make a self contained game so all players will need to download SMBX in order to even play the game. The game does come with a large set of graphics and sounds like the RPG Maker RTPs so everybody at least has a large number of platformer resources to work with (and it'll keep the download of the actual game itself small).
The editor can be tricky to use so I made a SMBX Help thread on our forums! If you have any questions go there for some tips or helpful links.
You must be logged in to sign up for Super RMN World.