A PROBLEM WITH RPG MAKER 2000.

Pages: 1
Several months ago, I dropped a few games I'd playing for RPG 2K, but have decided to pick them back up. Before, they played fine. Now, when I try to play them, the controls are all messed up. I'm not trying to make games for it, simply play games others have made for it.

The way that the controls are messed up is that Esc/Alt is confirm/interact, X/C/minimizing a different window is deny/go back, and no buttons work for moving the character or the cursor in menus. The games were gamepad compatible, so I tried that. 1 was accept, 2 was deny, and again, no movement operations. I've randomly hit keys/buttons and rarely get to move one square in a random direction, but that's it. I've hit every solitary key and button I can, hit the same ones I hit randomly when I moved, hit combinations of them, hit them in certain orders, hit them in certain ways, I could never get it to happen except when the game wanted it to happen it seemed like.

The controls the guide for the game laid out were the same for each one. Z/space is confirm/interact, X is deny/go back, arrow keys to move, hit an arrow key twice to run in that direction. Yet, these clearly weren't what I was experiencing.

I've tried going back to before computer/RPG 2k updates, getting the latest, changing the versions of the games I'm playing, restarting/refreshing the computer, various suggestions from tech-savvy friends, etc. Nothing has worked and I've not found anyone else with this problem, so I'm turning to tech support boards as a last resort.

If it helps any, I'm running a 64-bit Windows 7.
Have you tried "Run as administrator"? That seems to be an answer to MANY problems with running old engines/programs on Windows 7. If you right click the .exe files I think there's stuff under a compatibility tab? Maybe.
Although I've yet to try that, while trying other things I thought of, it suddenly started working again when I restarted another time. I decided to see if the off-chance updating whatever would work. So, I updated a few drivers and applied some Windows Updates. Restarted so that they'd take effect and suddenly it started working. This was after trying an uninstall/reinstall which didn't seem to work. If it happens again, though, I'll see if Administrator works or if it's something to do with leaving the computer on for too long. Since the first time I tried after the first reboot was many hours after that first reboot since I'd needed sleep.

Thanks for the reply, though. A lot faster than I'd expected, too.
I often heard of similar problems, so I created a "fix". Run this tool once whenever you have any keyboard issues: http://share.cherrytree.at/showfile-2704/kbdreset.exe

All this thing does is setting all keys' internal status to "not pressed" manually. This has always solved RM2k(3) keyboard issues until now for me. :D
Pages: 1