WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW?

pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Well, it's a stressful job. That can't be denied. They ARE going out into a situation in which they could be killed. It's true that the statistics show that it's not common, but their job requires them to carry a gun because they are chasing people with guns; even if the job is statistically safer than most dangerous jobs (and really it's common sense: who wants to get into a shootout with the police? It takes a certain boldness to just draw down on the police. This isn't the Wild West.), still, there's certain reality to the danger that other jobs don't have because of the man vs. man factor. Statistics be damned, cops have a right to claim their job is dangerous.

This is being used as an excuse to hold them above the law.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Mostly I just think this sudden fad in the last two years of hating cops and pretending that the situation is worse than the 1920s is silly, and I'm worried that if it keeps up it's going to make them more and more defensive and aggressive when they're in dangerous situations because they will feel like every civilian considers them an enemy. A self-fulfilled prophecy.

The cop pianotm was yelling about that shot the kid was trying his best. He bent the rules with the double warrant because he thought it was the best way to catch a killer, not because he was doing a hired hit for the mafia or trying to silence a political opponent. He just made a bunch of shitty mistakes in a row.
pianotm
Yes, yes he did. And look what it made him. And he will not answer for it.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
If it was an accident, and if he was trying to act in self-defense and public interest, then it sounds to me like he has nothing to answer for except the warrant. He already ruined that family's lives, ruined his own career and reputation, let a murderer escape, and will have nightmares about that day for the rest of his life. That's enough bad shit that happened already without throwing him in jail too.
Linkis
Don't hate me cause I'm Cute :)
@pianotm, at least now I think I know where you got you name from :)

You might want to try and calm down. Being overweight can put a hell of a strain on your heart, I know because I've lost 100lbs.
pianotm, I went back and reread my posts. I did not see one time where I cussed you out, called you back names or even used swear words.
I DID IN FACT tell you that if you were going to post about inflaming stories about cops than you need to get your facts STRAIGHT.
Yes, Jeremy Weekley did get off. What facts were really true we may never know because he had been tried twice because of hung juries (the people)not his buddies on the force. The DA withdrew the charges because he believed they could not get a conviction. Blame the jury and DA, not the other cops.
As for the TWO COP RAPISTS: the first one got 25yrs and must register as a sex offender for the rest of his life after he gets out at the age of 83. Considering his crime, he may not and should not even be able to finish his sentence, I believe prisoners hate rapists the most and as for child rapists...even worse.
As for your second story, THIS IS WHY I SAID IF YOUR GOING TO POST, GET THE FACTS RIGHT. The rapist was the girls boyfriend, NOT A COP. The article said "DEPUTY: man rapes child." The headline did not even say it was the cop who was a rapist.

Here's the lowdown AGAIN. IF a cop, such as the one in N.C. I believe, after a tussle with an unarmed black man, as the man was running away, the cop shot him in the back and deserves to spend a long time in jail.

I NEVER said all cops are good. But I WILL NEVER SAY all cops are bad because of a few bad ones.

If you had a 300lb black man charging you after having punched you in the face and knew he MOST LIKELY would jump on you, take your gun and kill you out of anger.....what would you do in the heat of the moment and having only 1-3 seconds to make your choice of dieing or making him die. Remember the killing shot was in the head when Brown was going down.

Sorry that you got so upset but I will always defend the underdog.
Just as when people post a really nasty review for a game that may have been the developers FIRST game and might kill their dreams and creative abilities to in so far as making better games is concerned.

Again, since these types of posts are so angering, maybe we should agree to disagree and stop the inflamatory posts.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
author=LockeZ
Mostly I just think this sudden fad in the last two years of hating cops and pretending that the situation is worse than the 1920s is silly, and I'm worried that if it keeps up it's going to make them more and more defensive and aggressive when they're in dangerous situations because they will feel like every civilian considers them an enemy. A self-fulfilled prophecy.

The cop pianotm was yelling about that shot the kid was trying his best. He bent the rules with the double warrant because he thought it was the best way to catch a killer, not because he was doing a hired hit for the mafia or trying to silence a political opponent. He just made a bunch of shitty mistakes in a row.
I think it's just a lot more known about now because the web exists.

Doesn't stop some of it being pig-disgusting.

Geddit?

Two people I used to know were imprisoned and raped several times in a cave somewhere by cops, there's some nasty shit they do, and cover up because they don't want the trouble of admitting their policing system is actually more criminal than 90% the criminals they arrest.

I avoid involving the cops if i know it's a matter in which they can't assist, and 80% of the time they are fucking useless in a matter.
pianotm
author=LockeZ
If it was an accident, and if he was trying to act in self-defense and public interest, then it sounds to me like he has nothing to answer for except the warrant. He already ruined that family's lives, ruined his own career and reputation, let a murderer escape, and will have nightmares about that day for the rest of his life. That's enough bad shit that happened already without throwing him in jail too.

That's just not how it works for the rest of us. I can see, "Okay, this girl's death was an accident, (it wasn't accidental death; it was negligent homicide)" but you know what, that statement should be followed up by, "but you lied to a judge to go into her house, violated the family's rights, all so you could guarantee the apprehension of a suspect whose movements you failed to predict. These things are against the law, and this tragedy would not have taken place if you had simply upheld your oath and obeyed the laws." It's not like there was any question about any of these. He admitted to lying to get the warrant. These laws, the laws that govern police behavior, weren't put in place to help criminals escape. They were put into place to make sure we don't have to live in terror of our own police force, who have a tendency to "know" who's guilty and who's not. "Oh, you have to live with the memory and that's punishment enough," is bullshit. If the laws aren't going to be upheld, there's no point in even having them. Not guilty of murder: maybe. Not guilty of negligent homicide I think is a bit too far, but I can see it. Cleared of all charges: no freaking way. It would never happen to anyone but a police officer. If you or I did this and made this case to the DA, s/he'd laugh in our faces and call us morons. It has never happened before and it will never happen in the future. The only people who can use this defense successfully are those with special privilege in the system.

A word about accidental discharges: there's no such thing. Guns do not "accidentally" go off. This isn't a Hollywood blockbuster. Real modern guns do not go off by any kind of an impact or other outside influence. In order for the gun to go off, the finger has to be physically on the trigger, and it has to pull that trigger. The term "accidental discharge" creates a false idea of what happens in shooting accidents. The proper term is "negligent discharge". Deliberate action must be taken on the gunman's part to discharge the weapon. It cannot happen otherwise.
Also, look at other countries that are also a melting pot and the police death ratio in comparison.

One thing - if guns were removed from the public, there'd be a lot less issues all-round. America's "I have the right to own a gun" is fucking bullshit and outdated to fuck. It comes from a time when the populace were worried about Indigenous people striking back, civil wars breaking out and out-and-out war with other countries. There's no need for every fucking douchebag to own a gun anymore, except for the ol' "IM A REDNEKC NA D I HAB RITES!!!"

Seriously, every other country in the world who got rid of their guns just facepalms every time America cries about another school shooting or how terrified they are about being shot by their neighbours/random people/etc. We got rid of the guns, we don't have those issues anymore (bar the outliers everyone here and there, but the last time we, in Australia, had an incident of a kid shooting up a school was... hm... 2002 as far as I can find. And that was at a university, so only adults were involved. 2 killed, 5 wounded.)

If your cops didn't have to fear every dick and harry having a fucking gun, then they might not pull out the guns every time they pull over a car. That and they should be properly taught to use tasers. It seems they never bother with them, even in cases where they would have been the proper weapon to use. Someone coming at you with a knife? Fucking taser them, you nonce! You don't shoot the shit out of them! For a country that prides itself on being so facing-forward, it's awfully fucking backwards on most things.

The greatest lie of the 20th Century...

Just to give an idea.

Last year we had 7 gun-related incidents. Of those seven, there were 5 deaths by police - one of them a ricochet, one by a wounded officer protecting themselves, two dealing with hostage situations and the last suicided by cop after murdering his child. Of those incidents there were 17 deaths total - caused by killing their own families, for the most part. Only one of those cases remains unsolved.

This year we've had one so far.

12 February 2014 – 11-year-old Grade 6 school boy Luke Batty was bashed with a cricket bat and stabbed to death at his local cricket practice in Tyabb on the Mornington Peninsula in Victoria. He was murdered by his father Greg Anderson, who was later shot dead by Victoria Police. Anderson apparently committed the crime as retribution against ex-wife Rosie Batty.

9 September 2014 – Lockhart massacre – Geoff Hunt shot and killed his wife, Kim, his 10-year-old son Fletcher, and his daughters Mia, eight and Phoebe, six before killing himself on a farm in Lockhart in the Riverina district near Wagga Wagga New South Wales. The body of Geoff Hunt and a firearm are later found in a dam on the farm by police divers and a suicide note written by Geoff Hunt is also found inside the house on the farm.

23 September − 2014 Endeavour Hills stabbings –Two Police officers, one Victorian, one Australian Federal Police (AFP) are stabbed and wounded outside Endeavour Hills Police station in Melbourne by 18-year-old Numan Haider. After stabbing the officers Haider was shot dead by the wounded Victorian officer.

22 October 2014 – Wedderburn shootings – Ian Jamieson shot dead Peter Lockhart, Peter's wife Mary and Mary's son Greg Holmes on two farm properties in Wedderburn, Victoria over a property dispute. Jamieson surrendered to police after a three-and-a-half hour siege.

7 November 2014 – Jordy Brook carjacked a Channel 7 news cameraman at gun point during a crime spree on the Sunshine Coast, Queensland. He was later captured and arrested by police after luring police on a high speed chase and crashing the car.

8 November 2014 – Brendan John Lindsay, a drug addict with a history of mental illness, took lunch bar worker Sheila Tran hostage at knife point in Carlisle, Western Australia. While taking the woman hostage he made threats to kill her, and entered a siege with police which ended with Lindsay being shot dead after he stabbed the hostage, Sheila Tran.

12 November 2014 – Jamie Edwards and Joelene Joyce a married couple who were drug dealers are found shot dead in a car on a highway in the town of Moama, New South Wales.

15 December 2014 – 2014 Sydney hostage crisis – Seventeen people were taken hostage in a cafe in Martin Place, Sydney by Man Haron Monis. The hostage crisis was resolved in the early hours of 16 December, sixteen hours after it commenced, when armed police stormed the premises. Monis and two hostages were killed in the course of the crisis.

3 March 2015 – Biddeston murders – Derek Sharpely shot and killed his pregnant 27-year-old daughter and 7-year-old Grandson before killing himself in Biddeston Queensland.

Even when restricted, people will find guns, yes, but for the most part people are quite content to just stab each other instead, if need be. And people with knives are a lot easier to take down safely than those with guns, so getting the guns off the streets? Likely to end in less blood on said streets. And thus, less cause for police shootings to occur (though I'm sure the racism will still be there, the fuckers.)
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
Lol thing about America is it's just pretty much too late to go back now on the guns thing. We Aussie dingos were smart and enforced that shit early on.

Also the Germany situation is really good, paramedics in germany are issued a gun, which means that instead of what happens in America (often a cause is useless if you're against men with assault rifles or w/e), most citizens in germany don't have the legal right to own a gun, so when a paramedic pulls one out everyone just stands down so they can tend to the victim.

I wish more countries did it, but they fucking don't. Thus whenever you say "MEDIC" your head jumps to a german dude because the stereotype is that their paramdeics are insanely good, where in reality they just have a much better para-policing system than anywhere else does.

TF2, Medic is German (and inspired mostly from Nikola Tesla which is awesome)
There's more examples but that one is deefinitely the most notorious.

The surgeon in Quake 4 is one other example I could bring up.
No, we didn't enforce that early on at all. We had a guy shoot up a tourist area and put our foot down and made the laws. You might not have been alive to remember it at the time, but I did and there was a huge fuss over having to give up our right to have guns - especially from the farmers - but guess what? We did it. Despite the protests and anger and complaints, it still got done and we haven't had anything like the Amercian shootings that happen almost monthly for years.

Bar last years' hostage situation, but hell, there is bound to be one popping up every decade or so, and while it's horrible that people did die, there were a lot less than in most of the news you hear of American situations of the like - 3 people total, one by ricochet, one by the hostage taker and the hostage taker themselves. Out of the possible 17 or so hostages.
nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
Actually I never think of a German anything when I head the term medic, I think combat. It's the term most used for a combat medical technician, and since I grew up in the UK it's the term used for anyone who's a physician that isn't a surgeon.

Yeah the gun control laws in Australia were a result of Port Arthur, and we've never seen it's like again. John Howard may have done a lot of things wrong, but he got that one right.
I always like old Johnny H. If only because his eyebrows made him look like a sad puppy. I swear, he stayed in for so long because he always looked so sad and pathetic, it'd be like kicking a puppy to vote against him. XD

(I am rather shocked that there's no fanart of him as a dog. What even is this world?!)
nhubi
I always though he wanted to beat Menzie's record, but hey people kept voting for him, he stayed.

I have seen a political rally where they put Howard's head on a papier-mâché dog as a statement about him being Bush's lapdog, but no I've never seen a fan art version, though you are right there is a bit of the puppy eyebrows going on there.

Every time it came election time he'd brush his eyebrows, pose in the mirror practising his best puppy eyes and laugh maniacally as the votes rolled in.

Probably.
LockeZ
Just to play the devil's advocate and come full circle, Liberty - many would say that people in the US do apparently need guns to protect themselves from the police!

But really, the strongest argument against gun control is simply that it's not unethical to own a weapon, therefore it shouldn't be illegal. That's how you're supposed to decide whether to make something be against the law or not, in theory. I don't think anyone without their head in the sand is really disputing that we'd probably have lower crime rates - but we'd also have lower crime rates if we banned all violent movies and video games.
nhubi
You know, now that you put it that way, that's how I'm always going to see it. Well the brushing his eyebrows bit anyway.
Except video games don't kill people. Guns do. They... they literally do. You'd have to work really hard to make a disc kill a person in any way. Gun? Trigger is pulled.

All a gun exists for is killing. If everyone was denied guns then they'd have to resort to more rudimentary and less-easy ways of killing instead - more deliberate ways. And there wouldn't be tales of kids shooting themselves when they found their parent's guns. Or the dog shooting it's owner because of a gun - yes, that happened. That's how easily guns streamline the killing process.

Gun? Drive by and shoot. No mess, no fuss.
Other weapons? A chance for the victim to fight back in some way, shape or form.

Honestly, the numbers say it all. Until America loses their guns, I'm just gonna do what I always do when I hear of a school shooting and the like - shake my head and say 'it could have been avoided' and blame the average American asshole who won't give up their easy-kill weaponry to save innocent lives.

America: Land of the "Oh the humanity! Why doesn't someone stop all this violence? YOU'LL NEVER TAKE MY GUNS!!!"
pianotm
author=LockeZ
Just to play the devil's advocate and come full circle, Liberty - many would say that people in the US do apparently need guns to protect themselves from the police!

But really, whether or not guns are necessary, what they're used for, and what statistics they influence are all irrelevant. I don't think it's unethical to own a weapon, therefore it shouldn't be illegal. That's how you're supposed to decide whether to make something be against the law or not. I mean, it just sounds like the same argument about getting rid of violent movies and video games because there would be fewer violent crimes.

I hate the gun violence as much as anyone, and I agree with Liberty, but in this country, I think there's a reasonable fear. Snowden's revelations have brought up some very really concerns. Seriously. It as actually NSA's goal to learn what every American citizen looks like naked. I also don't think it came as surprise to anyone that our government secretly experiments on it's own people (Agent Orange, eugenics and so on), but to see it confirmed like that really has people legitimately frightened. And now we have all of these generals and politicians coming out in support of concentration camps for people who speak out against the government and military funding.

If our government weren't doing this, I'd be all for gun restrictions, but at the moment, I'm afraid of what would happen if we couldn't defend ourselves from this government. People call Snowden a traitor for this, but look at Israel. They really have become the modern Nazi regime. They have almost completely wiped out an entire race, and they're pushing harder than ever to move forward to absolute extermination. Corporations run this country, and they're giving almost all of their business to China, who's factories operate under such horrific conditions they put suicide nets on the windows. We've got politicians that want to repeal child labor laws, rape laws, bust unions.

If our government weren't currently acting like this...I think being armed should be a right, but I think it's a right that should be earned. I've looked at Aussie laws. People there still have the right to own guns, but they have to earn that right and show that they can be responsible and they have to show that they have a good reason to be armed (hunters, some police, sportsmen, etc.). But if we can't trust our government, I'm not going to be the one to tell people they can't arm themselves unless they can show they're responsible.
LockeZ
I'm not arguing against any of that, Liberty. Like I said: I get that it would reduce violence. No argument.

But all numbers are irrelevant. What matters is whether it's unethical to own a gun or not. Laws are only supposed to stop people from doing things that are wrong, not stop them from doing things that are statistically dangerous.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
You've got some pretty funny names in Aussieland. Wagga Wagga? Shame the aborigines had to go, they were probably a very likeable people.