WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW?

Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
author=Sated
Given that the concept of an omnipotent, omnipresent, all-powerful being breaks several fundamental laws of physics, I'd say that there's very little unscientific about the claim that gods can't exist.
That's if you say a god must exist inside our spacetime, as something material. If you allow something to exist outside of those restrictions, there is immediately no way for us to test the existance of it. And then the question of whether it exists or not becomes meaningless, as well as any stances on the matter.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=pianotm
Here's your creepy for you.

author=Jeroen_Sol
author=Sated
Given that the concept of an omnipotent, omnipresent, all-powerful being breaks several fundamental laws of physics, I'd say that there's very little unscientific about the claim that gods can't exist.
That's if you say a god must exist inside our spacetime, as something material. If you allow something to exist outside of those restrictions, there is immediately no way for us to test the existance of it. And then the question of whether it exists or not becomes meaningless, as well as any stances on the matter.
So you need to invent a magic spaceland to be able to have the possibility of magic space people.
Anyway, if you're an atheist you don't believe in a god (or the possibility of one), period. If you're undecided, you're agnostic.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
author=SnowOwl
So you need to invent a magic spaceland to be able to have the possibility of magic space people.

Not really. It could still be possible for things to exist inside our spacetime, but as immaterial things. They would still be equally untestable, but would not exist in a magical spaceland.

author=SnowOwl
If you're undecided, you're agnostic.

That's one form of agnosticism, yes, but I am a hard agnostic. I am not simply undecided on the existance of things that we cannot measure; I believe people who claim knowledge about things we cannot test are dishonest.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Liberty
It's not so much that it was made obsolete completely.

Well, it kind of did. Christianity was as much a protest of Jewish doctrine as it was a spiritual movement. Much of Christianity followed the notion that Jewish doctrine was wrong, and the old laws found in Exodus, Leviticus, and Deuteronomy were examples, as well as such things as animal sacrifice.

The Ten Commandments are still in effect, but also those rules in Leviticus were for church members mainly (that is, Levites, the people who were priests and all). There's also a lot of context to be taken in regards to the laws of the land in those days and what, exactly was meant by certain rules, and why.

The New Testament has a word for that; hypocrisy. The Torah was actually pretty straight forward. You were supposed hate foreigners, women were worth less than men, priests didn't have to follow the rules, and basically disagreeing with an Israelite could be punished by death (much like today). There were many fine examples of this to found in the Bible, one particularly memorable one being Moses preaching against marrying foreigners, then marrying an Ethiopian woman to have his sister remind him that this was against the law, only to have Moses curse her with leprosy and proclaim that to question him was to question god.

Also what words in Hebrew meant in that time period differ from today as language changes over time. After all, most people look to the O;d King James' version thinking it's the best and truest version and while it's not bad, it's also lost a LOT in translation through various languages before it came to English, so... yeah.

Good old King James. The King James translation was meant to replace the Latin Bible, and was ultimately a boon to reading education. Before this, all that was available was the Latin translation or the original mess. It's a lot more complicated than you think. The Torah, or the Book of Law, was the first five books of the Bible, and was in Hebrew: Genesis, Numbers, Exodus, Leviticus, and Deuteronomy. Every book following were individual scriptures including several histories, a book of poetry, a book of sayings, and these were variously written in Greek, Coptic, Chaldeaic, Aramaic, and Hebrew. Basically, it was a mess. Many books of the original Bible were excluded from the Latin versions, the exclusions, both Old and New Testament being the Apocrypha, though the Old Testament exclusions are sometimes called the Jewish Apocrypha. It gets even more complicated. The Hebrew scriptures weren't supposed to be read (at least by rabbis) without the aid of the Gematria, the Notariqon, and the Temura. The GMTRIA reduced Hebrew letters to their numerical values (Hebrew doesn't have numbers the way our language does. The letters are the numbers.). Following the Notariqon, every letter formed a word, and therefore every word formed a sentence. The Temura used a permutation of the Hebrew alphabet to restructure words. The alphabetic tables are "The Table of Combinations of Tzirupa", "The Rational Table of Tzirupa", and "The Table of Commutations", known respectively as the Right, the Averse, and the Irregular.

There's a LOT to consider when reading the Bible.

You ain't lying, sister.

Corfasius
I asked my mother (being a Christian) about a few earlier parts and she said "it's good that you want a context, but I'd recommend just starting with the New Testament", as if Christians aren't to be held accountable for the writings of the Talmud, despite the fact that the more vocal political ones reference it all the time to push for discriminatory laws against homosexuals.

Well, Christians aren't to be held accountable for the writings of the Talmud. You mean the Torah, the Book of Law. The Talmud is the Book of Learning. It's a commentary on the Torah, but it has nothing to do with Christianity. I wouldn't mention it except that the Talmud is tens of thousands of pages longer than the Bible and is a significant cultural text, especially since it's thought to be a continuous record of the Jewish people from the Exodus until the 5th century.
Linkis
Don't hate me cause I'm Cute :)
GOOD BOD AMIGHTY, you people need to work on your games more than resolving the issues of the universe :)

Such as your games that will be compatible with Windows 10 so when I download my free upgrade I will be able to play your games.

NOW GET TO WORK ALL YOU DEVELOPERS!!!!

Thank you in advance :)~~
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=Sated
The only thing that needs testing are the heads of people who think that there's an all-powerful being who gives a single shit about how they lead their life on this insignificant speck of the universe we call Earth.

I anoint thee with the holy bar that none might undertake you.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
author=pianotm
one particularly memorable one being Moses preaching against marrying foreigners, then marrying an Ethiopian woman to have his sister remind him that this was against the law, only to have Moses curse her with leprosy and proclaim that to question him was to question god.
Wow what a dick.
I do believe virture can repel even the most barbaric invasions.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
I am thinking about how the Patriots are going to hang 60 on the Colts.
Corfaisus
author=Mirak
author=pianotm
one particularly memorable one being Moses preaching against marrying foreigners, then marrying an Ethiopian woman to have his sister remind him that this was against the law, only to have Moses curse her with leprosy and proclaim that to question him was to question god.
Wow what a dick.

It's okay, earlier a woman ran outside with her son, took him by the junk, cut off his foreskin and threw it at Moses. He didn't make it out unscathed.
Mirak
Heh.

It is sunday and the world knows it, considering how dead all the forums and websites i visit are.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Corfaisus
author=Mirak
author=pianotm
Wow what a dick.
It's okay, earlier a woman ran outside with her son, took him by the junk, cut off his foreskin and threw it at Moses. He didn't make it out unscathed.

Yeah...those foreskins can be devastating.
Corfaisus

I just got done grinding out the 1,000 decapitations achievement (eloquently named "French Revolution") on Turbo Dismount and in turn got 100% completion on Steam. Woo!
Porkate42
Goes inactive at least every 2 weeks
One day I'll donate to this site JUST because I want my own title

Also that "supporting" thing too...
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
author=Liberty
It's not so much that it was made obsolete completely. The Ten Commandments are still in effect, but also those rules in Leviticus were for church members mainly (that is, Levites, the people who were priests and all). There's also a lot of context to be taken in regards to the laws of the land in those days and what, exactly was meant by certain rules, and why.

Also what words in Hebrew meant in that time period differ from today as language changes over time. After all, most people look to the O;d King James' version thinking it's the best and truest version and while it's not bad, it's also lost a LOT in translation through various languages before it came to English, so... yeah.

There's a LOT to consider when reading the Bible.
Yeah exactly... It's also like, millenniums out of date, times have changed from then to now, in fact the word gay, the notion of homosexuality didn't even exist. There was a really good read on all this somewhere, and I can assure you that back in the crusades people were gay as fuck. Back then raping another man was a way of dominating them, but if men loved each other they'd just go at it free of worry.

King Henry's separatism of the Church of England from the Catholic Church in order to birth a boy whom he deemed the only gender who could rule might have more to do with how same-sex relationships came to be frowned on, though I think even the 1500's is too early for whence these misappropriations that same-sex marriage or even romance were against god's will were formed. Whatever the case, I'm sure it began with white people, i.e. the British. Who would become Australians and Americans and what have you by killing off those who thought differently to them. White supremacy isn't incredibly new, in fact color is meaningless when it comes to people, we're all capable of being assholes, whitey here just ended up being the best at it.

Marriage is the real tricky divide, as it was originally a thing you did to say 'hey, we gonna have a baby!'.

Back in those days, I don't think it held the sentimentality to the relationship it does now, more it was on the miracle of making new life. Since gay couples were unable to procreate, I just don't think they ever cared, as they had the same rights as a man or a women would. That said, Women's rights back then just weren't. Didn't exist. So I'm glad --though boy did it have to be fought for-- that Women are now seeing equal opportunities men are. One thing I've learned by being alienated from both genders is that both are amazing in their own ways, and really aren't that different-- individuality doesn't ratify at all with gender, it's in our mind, choices and experiences that we are what we are.

The only way we can really hope to move forward is to be wise in who we let run our country and peoples, and keep the tolerance happening. The internet has been incredible for learning humanity on a more equal level.

"You reap what you sow" "Don't judge before the baton has fallen." "Treat all as you would yourself."

These are three great verses, of which I live my life by, despite how much I smile wickedly like an asshole and wear shady robes, I'm fairly moral.

That last one is vague, but think of it like if someone did this thing, think of you if you had done it, would you punch or type nasty words to yourself? If yes, then it's a fair reaction, if not, don't do it. Since I stopped being a kid, I've rarely hit anyone, and the one person I have, I paid for. I may be seen as toxic to some, but if you talk to me that way, I don't care. My bro talks to me in a similar manner I do to any of you who may have problems with the way I present myself. If you can't handle that, then tough shit, I'm afraid!

"Don't judge before the baton has fallen", this basically means, don't judge someone until you personally know they have reason to be judged. I've personally assured anyone here I've yelled at has deserved it somewhat. I just give sass everyone because that's "fun to do"(TM).

Finally, my favorite. "You reap what you sow."

In other words, you must make judgement on what the right thing is to do, and dwell on the circumstances before, not after... you've made your choice. Afterwards, make sure you take responsibility for said choice.

Now evidently, there's gonna be times you still regret the choices you made, and neither outcome may be favorable, that's how life is. Making choices, and living with them, even if they weren't the best choice you could have made.

I say this, but keep in mind that allowing yourself to take this too far is dangerous, you reap what you sow, means that you are also responsible for the choices you've made, so don't blame other people for said choices if they backfire, unless they had a hand in it. It is very easy to become careless. That's what the whole etymology is geared towards. I have become careless around you guys because mostly, I just don't care about upholding myself to the standards you had for me anymore. I'm fine being 'that guy who has unpopular opinions blegh', because at least it means I can be me.

Now watch this post be the impetus for yet another big heated discussion. Lmao. Though maybe now I've stated that you guys will be kind enough to spite me by not doing that and also not blaming me for your own stupid insecure horseshit? Because you know I damn well get a rise out of annoying you. Anyone with thick skin can ignore me, to you I bow my head and say well played.

Do you guys ever think maybe the reason drama is so common is because you are so thoroughly fun to troll? A troll is useless without the fish, and of fish, so many of you are eager to take bait.

There is certainly wisdom to be gleamed from my spiel above, but since some of you (I know not who) will likely focus on the negatives, i.e., everything after the moral disambiguation, it's my better interest to foreshadow or forestall it so we can keep being one big happy thread and not get locked like the last two time this happened. Though thankfully and rightfully I wasn't blamed much for the first time.
So I watched an LP of a game called Blues and Bullets and it's actually really quite cool. I recommend anyone who likes Noire and detective genres (and don't mind gore) check it out. It's also apparently pretty cheap, though it is episodic (I think it was about $15 for the whole series?)

When I have some cash I'm gonna have to get me some of that.
Mirak
I don't think i'll be buying anything online anytime soon. My paypal is dry as hell.