XENOBLADE CHRONICLES IS OUT! PROTIP: BUY IT

Pages: first 12 next last

The Quick Gist
Xenoblade Chronicles is a Wii Exclusive JRPG by Monolith Soft released in 2010 and in Europe last year (more on this later). It takes place in an incredibly huge and gorgeous world that feels like an offline MMO that you can freely explore but without the bullshit padding they bring. Fast travel lets you get to where you want to be with the fuss, quests end immediately upon completion and there are a lot of quests, all in a world where the locations are on the bodies of giant frozen fighting robots gods. It's full of content too, I've heard there's about four hundred side quests and there's still 30-40 hours of content in the main story if you skip every single side quest. It's visually stunning, the music is fantastic, battles look engaging and exciting, and a lot of heart and soul was poured into this game. I'm excited for it.

Is It Good?
I'll say it outright: I have not played this game. I can't give personal experiences about it. If you want to hear what people are saying from the horses mouth I can't provide it but I can say that 99% of the opinions out there answer the above question with Yes. Everything I heard about the game has been positive even from some of the JRPG skeptics I follow. I'd totally suggest doing some of your own research to see what people are saying to get a better feel of what players thought of this game. If you're interested I'd highly suggest preordering it because...

What's With the Pre-Order Deal?
Remember Terranigma for the SNES? Similar deal here. Nintendo of Europe decided to localize and publish the game for Europe while Nintendo of America decided to personally inspect their own colon. In the last month or so Gamestop and NoA have banded together to release the game NA-side. It's basically a NTSC version of the EU release as far as I know. However due to continued incompetence Xenoblade is only getting a limited release and it sounds like stores are only going to get as many as were preordered. If you want a copy it's highly recommended you preorder it before the release date of April 6.

Where Can I Preorder?
If you live in the US you can snag it from Nintendo's Online Store or Gamestop. Canadians are stuck with EBGames. Total cost is the midrange of $50 US/CDN for the whole shebang.

I'm Not Convinced, I Require Videos!

A trailer of in-game footage. Mostly running around, no gameplay, just showing how beautiful the game is.

English gameplay trailer with a variety of content from scenery to battles and a side quest!

More of the above including a premonition gameplay mechanic and visible equipment! Actual visible equipment like armor and not just tiny shields or weapons and reflected in both gameplay and cutscenes.

Some extra fighting.
hopefully there's an option to turn off the voice acting during battles.
K-hos
whoa You guys are hi-chaining without me? That's just not right. :<
I ordered it just a bit ago. :>
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Too bad this isn't on PS3, this would make a great Move game.
I am stoked on this BUT I AM EVEN MORE STOKED THAT WE'RE GETTING THE LAST STORY THIS SUMMER ACCORDING TO WIKIPEDIA ALGEHAGJHEALKGEJKGEHKEG <3333

look I'm just really excited that I'll have some new campy RPGs to play on my Wii okay OTL
I don't have an XBox or PS3 because poor Emmych doesn't have a steady income at the moment ;___;
too late nintendo, i already pirated this game (without even playing it) just to spite them.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
I already gave my wii to my nephew and niece in Alberta, for lack of games... Too late, indeed.
K-hos
author=Darken
too late nintendo, i already pirated this game (without even playing it) just to spite them.

As much as I would love to stick it to Nintendo for their fuckup, I have been looking forward to this game for way too long to not get it.
I'm pretty excited for this! I should be playing it now, but at least I'll get to play it sometime. It really looks like an amazing game.
Reggie Fils-Aime covered Xenoblade briefly on Nintendo Direct this weekend. It was pretty short and didn't really say much though besides what looks like the box art which is gorgeous and a release date of April 6 (Nintendo's online store stated an end of April release contrary to Gamestop's April 6). Also a brief mention of Last Story too.
Pre-order only? Looks like I'll never get to play it as I do not have the money currently. Grr!
Damn, guess I'd better get my pre-order in
If you pre-order from Gamestop/EBGames you get an art book with it! I already have the Japanese version of the game and I played and finished the European version a while ago, but I still pre-ordered the NA version just for the art book.

It is a good game, but some parts might not be for everyone. Some parts of the game feel a little like grinding, and some elements almost feel like a single player MMO. However, it's a very long game with a very good story, and I still enjoyed it a lot from the beginning to the end. I only did a few side quests and I had almost 80 hours of played time by the time I finished it, so it's a lot longer than some other recent JRPGs.
Since I´m living in Sweden, we´ve had this game for a while. Quite good. I didn´t like some parts about the battle system, but I can recommend it (I haven´t finished the game however). I would recommend playing with the japanese voices since the english ones, in my opinion, doesn´t cut it.
author=RPGCreator
Since I´m living in Sweden, we´ve had this game for a while. Quite good. I didn´t like some parts about the battle system, but I can recommend it (I haven´t finished the game however). I would recommend playing with the japanese voices since the english ones, in my opinion, doesn´t cut it.

You can choose the japanese voice overs? That's cool, not a lot of games have that, when they totally should. One thing that I wondered was if you can use a gamecube controller, or does it have to be the classic one?

Just noticed The Last Story is also available already, but I'll wait till it's ~15€, probably won't take that long.
K-hos
author=Julev
If you pre-order from Gamestop/EBGames you get an art book with it!

I wish I would have known about this before I ordered it from Nintendo. :|
I wrote to Nintendo for this, so I'm very happy to see it and the Last Story are coming out.
author=Byah
author=RPGCreator
You can choose the japanese voice overs? That's cool, not a lot of games have that, when they totally should. One thing that I wondered was if you can use a gamecube controller, or does it have to be the classic one?

Just noticed The Last Story is also available already, but I'll wait till it's ~15€, probably won't take that long.

Agreed. Sometimes japanese is better even though you need to be more focused on the subtitles (at least I do since I can´t understand the language). xP
I have only played this with my Wiimote and nunchuk. On the back of the cover, it´s said you can play with the classic controller as well, but nothing about GC.
I pre-ordered this baby today. It's been too long since I played a really awesome Wii game. Well, I suppose I played Skyward Sword recently, so that's not entirely true.

I'm thinking about getting The Last Story as well, but I still have some time to decide on that one.
Apparently sometime between December (when I finished Skyward Sword) and today, my Wii lost its ability to power on.
Pages: first 12 next last