"RGSS PLAYER HAS STOPPED WORKING."

Pages: 1
This has just started happening today. I tried to play an RPG Maker XP game and when I open the app, it immediately freezes and the infamous pop-up message comes up saying "RGSS Player has stopped working." It comes up before the title screen can even show. I've tried reinstalling RPG Maker XP and its RTP package. I can play my own projects in the engine itself.

Anyone else ever have this problem?
I have. I was trying to play a game called Lucid Awakening on a computer set to Windows Vista, and it didn't work. Tried the same game with Windows XP and it worked like a charm. Can't help beyond that. So far that was the only game with that particular problem.
can you narrow down the source of the problem?
for example, is it just one specific game?
if so, which one?

might be a problem with the code in the game itself.
Is it with any RPG Maker XP games? Does the XP editor start (if you have it)?

RPG Maker XP will trip DEP if it is in Whitelist Mode / OptOut mode. You can add it to the whitelist in Advanced System Properties -> Performance -> Data Execution Prevention (you can change the mode it is in from here too). The odds of this actually being the problem is pretty low though as it is in OptIn mode by default and RMXP won't be triggered by it. Otherwise I got nothing.
author=Cuauhtemoc
can you narrow down the source of the problem?
for example, is it just one specific game?
if so, which one?

might be a problem with the code in the game itself.

Nope, it's every XP game that I have.

author=GreatRedSpirit
Is it with any RPG Maker XP games? Does the XP editor start (if you have it)?

RPG Maker XP will trip DEP if it is in Whitelist Mode / OptOut mode. You can add it to the whitelist in Advanced System Properties -> Performance -> Data Execution Prevention (you can change the mode it is in from here too). The odds of this actually being the problem is pretty low though as it is in OptIn mode by default and RMXP won't be triggered by it. Otherwise I got nothing.

I am able to open up the editor and play a game through there. I just went and looked at the "Data Execution Prevention" tab and saw that RPG Maker XP and RGSS Player are already on the list. Tried removing them to see if anything changed and it's still crashing.
You'll need to add the RGSS Player (Game.exe) for every game's Game.exe. Add the Game.exe that you're trying to play and see if that does the trick. Or now that the XP Editor is no longer on that list try to open it again and if it still does then it probably isn't the issue. I couldn't open the XP editor until I figured out that it needed to be DEP whitelisted.
author=GreatRedSpirit
You'll need to add the RGSS Player (Game.exe) for every game's Game.exe. Add the Game.exe that you're trying to play and see if that does the trick. Or now that the XP Editor is no longer on that list try to open it again and if it still does then it probably isn't the issue. I couldn't open the XP editor until I figured out that it needed to be DEP whitelisted.

Well, thank you very much! That fixed it. Now I'm just wondering why in the hell I have to do this task all of a sudden when everything was running just fine before.
Yeah that is weird. DEP shouldn't go into OptOut mode by itself due to problems with certain programs like these. DEP in OptOut mode is another layer of protection against certain attacks (the default value OptIn mode isn't nearly as effective because the attack vector that uses this tends to be Acrobat Reader/PDFs, Java, or Flash which aren't covered) so having it on is a good idea. It's just these silent crashes that drive people, including myself, nuts over it.
yeah.. that happened to me too.

~no signatures, please~
-mod
Signatures are not allowed on RMN.
Pages: 1