LOOKING FOR A PATCH FOR THE ATB BAR.

Pages: first prev 12 last
Simple answer: Since you don't have the source code of RM2k3, you don't have access to that "line of code".

The "line of code" I was talking about was a line of plugin code using DynRPG (all the "dirty work" is done by the DynRPG patch then).
Even though the TBS is just from RPG_RT.exe, not from RM2k3 itself?

That would certainly make it easier for people using DynRPG for sure. Sadly as I said I was hijacking pretty badly since I tried using it and it spat back at me that I'm not using v1.08 (when my About clearly says v1.08). ^^;;
Well, your RPG2003.exe About may say 1.08 - that may be true for your RPG2003.exe :-)
But I am talking about your RPG_RT.exe here.

The DynRPG patch itself won't help you anyway, though. (Without the proper plugin, I mean. Which doesn't yet exist. Do you know C++?)
dragonheartman
Developer, Starless Umbra / Heroes of Umbra
The battle speed, like all other files/etc related to your project, is controlled independently of RPG2003.exe in your own RPG_RT.exe

As Cherry mentioned, this is done via one line of code:

RPG::battleSpeed = 200;

I wrote and compiled a simple *.dll for DynRPG to double the ATB speed. I was going to do something fancy with a configuration and all but I got really lazy so here you go:

http://rpgmaker.net/users/dragonheartman/locker/faster_atb.rar

To use it, patch your project with DynRPG and put this in your DynPlugins folder. I've included the source as well.
I just installed that patch (after recompiling my RPG_RT to update it to 1.08 and include all my old patches), and it DOES work. The ATB is incredibly fast, which brought a smile to my face.

But I notice that all of my custom skills are broken now. I mean the ones that use the method of recording the character's MP off of a dummy skill and then executing battle event code based on the amount of MP used. For some reason, they only work now if I hold the decision key after selecting a skill, but if I select and let go, the character loses their turn. This also happened with Cherry's old turn based patch, not relevant now, but it might be helpful to know, I couldn't say.

Another issue(?) I noticed is that the flash for enemy action is slower and there is a lag before enemy skills are executed. Is there any way to rectify these issues? Otherwise, I think I'll be forced to stick to slow ATB in order to keep the rest of my battle system actually working. Which is sad! Speeding up those ATB bars would do worlds of good.

Edit:

Actually, upon closer inspection, the issue is not with the patch, but with DynRPG itself. The changes it imposes breaks the default battle system in a way that the MP recording method is no longer viable.

This is really sad! I don't think I can use the entirety of DynRPG's framework unless this issue is resolved or some other method of implementing these skills is introduced.
author=Skie Fortress
Another issue(?) I noticed is that the flash for enemy action is slower and there is a lag before enemy skills are executed. Is there any way to rectify these issues? Otherwise, I think I'll be forced to stick to slow ATB in order to keep the rest of my battle system actually working. Which is sad! Speeding up those ATB bars would do worlds of good.

This is the issue that I'm having, but with the turn-based patch. Like the flash takes super long and it slows battles way down, even if when you're using ATB your own actions are sped up. It's like the player can move as fast as they want until the enemies get their turns; then it slows to a standstill.

I too would like to know if there's a way to resolve this issue, whether through DynRPG itself or by editing something in the hex code.
dragonheartman
Developer, Starless Umbra / Heroes of Umbra
Skie-- Yes, DynRPG makes some changes to the DBS. It fixes a few bugs but also sounds like it introduces a few.

trance2-- I'm still waiting for you to release something. 'Nuff said. :)

Please check this list for some changes and you can determine whether or not it's worth keeping the patch. When Cherry has more time I'm sure he can fix the issues.

http://rpg-maker.cherrytree.at/dynrpg/patch.html

For example, DynRPG allows you to use 2000 pictures. Pictures with ID > 1000 actually stay on-screen when you change maps.

EDIT:
I'm actually doing a lot of the battle system programming in DynRPG, so if there are any bugs with battle system logic (specifically event triggering) I haven't encountered any. Obviously that's not really an option for everyone but it goes without saying that DynRPG can do neat stuff; it just has a bit of a learning curve.
Improvement: Monsters are now flashed more intensively when they do their turn. Before, it was hard to follow what was going on in battle, especially if a monster used the "Attack" command.
Improvement: The skill information window is longer visible in battle. This makes it easier to understand the moves of monsters.

However, the battle event bug you described is strange, but it MIGHT have to do something with the skill window change. Apply this IPS patch: http://share.cherrytree.at/showfile-5932/dynrpg_normal_skill_window_duration.ips
It removes the second "improvement".
author=Cherry
However, the battle event bug you described is strange, but it MIGHT have to do something with the skill window change. Apply this IPS patch: http://share.cherrytree.at/showfile-5932/dynrpg_normal_skill_window_duration.ips
It removes the second "improvement".

Excellent. That did the trick. All skills using the MP recording method work again.

Much appreciated!
I will change this behaviour in the next version.

(By the way, DynRPG allows you to see exactly which character did which action on which target (also change it)... Might be time to write a plugin which stores this information in variables or something like that.)
Alternatively, for people looking for a way to do this without a patch you could try Lyricalias' suggestion from RPG Crisis which is:

As you all probably know, RPG Maker 2003 is notorious for having a really slow battle system. I never really experimented much with fixing the issue, but I just opened it up and managed to get the ATB bars to fill up very fast:

Change your heroes so that their agility is low - like, level 1 = 1 agility low. The end point for Agility progression should be like 100 or maybe 200.

Now, go to your monsters and change them so they balance along - weak enemies having 1 agility, in other words. Bam, fast battles.

I have no idea if this is commonly known or what, but I've played a lot of RPG Maker games with mind-numbingly slow battles, so I thought I'd share.

...As a side note, my turn based coding actually works better WITHOUT the normal skill window. The lack of pause actually seems to make it skip the calculation for turns, so it rushes through everything very fast. Poison especially is obnoxiously fast with the lack of window delay.
Pages: first prev 12 last