COMMERCIAL GAMES ALLOWED NOW; ALSO RMNV4.4 STUFF

Pages: first 12345 next last
In a reversal of past policy, RMN will now be host to games intended to be sold commercially. This includes (but is not limited to) the traditional "buy it and you get it" games, as well as subscription based games, games with an in-game store, and games that are supported by real-world ads in-game.

Here is what was implemented for commercial game support:
  • There is now a Is Commercial? checkbox on game profiles. Check this if you intend to sell your completed/full game.
  • There are icons on the gameprofiles, games lists and blog list and frontpage flagging a game as Commercial (it is a couple of dolla bills yo).
  • When a new commercial game is submitted, a PM goes to the user asking for a donation
  • A PM goes to all admins if a download is added for a commercial game, so that we can keep tabs on them
  • Naturally, updated terms of service and submission rules
  • Games list is able to filter by commercial status of a game, whether to exclude them, include them or show exclusively commercial games only
  • The Games portal by default excludes them
  • You cant nominate commercial games for misaos

As a reminder:
All downloads submitted to RMN must be free to play

Now, we have also begun work on some more functionality enhancements for RMN, which I've dubbed RMNv4.4 just now.

Forum topic subscriptions
...are live now, actually. You can now sub to topics like you would a game, and receive notices on new posts. You manage your topic subs in the same area as game subs. Alternatively, you can go to the original topic and click Unsubscribe at the bottom.

Episodic games support
..we have a topic here discussing it. But the gist is I will be adding in support for episodic games into game profiles

Review tweaks
There is a bit of an issue where reviews for a game's demo negatively affects the game's overall score. I think I am going to add in some functionality for developers to optionally flag, hide or somehow exclude scores from reviews that predate a completed game's completion date, so that reviews for the demo don't count towards the score of the completed game. Those old reviews will still exist and be readable, however. This is just for the average score.

Also, I was considering allowing reviewers to tie their reviews to a particular download. This could help address the above problem, and also facilitate reviews for episodic games

Also, I was toying with the idea of adding in a "Was this review helpful? Y/N" thing.

Auto achievements
Basically, achievements given out for achieving milestones on RMN, like number of reviews, etc..

Allow for the upload of a file for Tutorials/Scripts (for demos, for example)

Game archive vault
for those lost games, so that we don't always rely on SegNin's harddrive.

Revamp of the Development Portal
It really needs it, and I have some ideas to make it better. (One example is being able to flag images added to profiles as "For Feedback" and these would go to a new Screenshot Discussion Repo for dissection and whatnot, but these images wouldn't show up on a) the frontpage and 2) on the actual gameprofile (unless they want them to)) Other ideas I had was a place for early project/ideas feedback and a featured game design topic. Also, maybe a Classified section for people to offer their skills/resource/time, and other people to ASK for things like "looking for composer" etc...

I'd get rid of the static stuff there right now to make room for a more vibrant portal. Basically, a place to hang and check out if you are in the midst of GAM MAK. (that was always my intent for the portals)

Also, I have heard murmurs from my minions that they want to tweak the layout of the frontpage and some of the portals, too. I don't have specifics yet.
Blobofgoo
Legs are a burden. Return to snek.
TY for forum subbing. Ankylo is awsome.

author=kentona
"...buy it and you get it games..."
"...All downloads submitted to RMN must be free to play..."
I keep rereading this. How can both exist?
You're a sell out and you should be ashamed of yourself.
Blobofgoo
author=iishenron
Ankylo put a lot of work into this as you can see from the user feedback topic. I'm giving deserved credit. Also, I edited into something more useful as at first the post was insignificant. I was thinking about continuing it with Kentona is k____, Deckiller is d____, but I figured this wasn't a good time/place. I also couldn't think of a k word that described Kentona.

Edit: It was lost on me that he was referring to Kentona. Oops.
author=iishenron
I am deeply shamed.

Anywho, I forgot to mention that I also tweaked user profiles Showcase game images, so that they use a "thumbnail" to show the image, instead of stretching the main image.

Also, I plan on adding support for more roles for games in RMNv4.4, such as Contributor or Programmer.
author=Blobofgoo
TY for forum subbing. Ankylo is awsome.

author=kentona
"...buy it and you get it games..."
"...All downloads submitted to RMN must be free to play..."
I keep rereading this. How can both exist?
The commercial game's download AND financial transactions must take place elsewhere, and not on RMN. They are free to submit downloads here, such as prototypes or demos, or a free version of their games (I would imagine that a free version would be nerf or feature limited in some way).
Blobofgoo
This makes much more sense.

Specifically, you could add Artist, Composer, Designer, Coder, etc. under contributor. The frist 2 are the most prominent.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
Awesome. Thanks to everyone who helped to put this together!
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
Commercial game support is good, but seems a bit too constrained and featureless to seem worth it.
Change is a difficult concept to go through, but here's hoping v4.4 will be pretty good~ :)
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
Awesome, very curious to see what the inclusion of commercial-to-be games will bring to rmn in general.
I tried to think of a "The A is for _____" joke that is relevant here, but failed. Anyway, this is exciting news for the commercial devs of RMN, I guess! :D
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Oh god that userpic
Brb making all my projects $99 and adding dlc

EDIT: the donation PM is pretty genius
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
We are Sex Bob-omb and we are here to sell out and make money and stuff. One, two three, four!

No but really, this is cool. My dreams of one day becoming legit and making up for 20% of my lost time are one step closer!
BurningTyger
Hm i Wonder if i can pul somethi goff here/
WIP< this kind of makes some sense when you think about that neon nightmare or whatever game, since it's always free for people here but also has kickstarter;/I'd be glad to submit some abstract patterns for pretty backdrops. After all, a new version mightas well look nifty.
I like how this site is always being updated and lively. Keep that up.:)

Commercial game implementation is a neat concept but I can't imagine many people actually paying via other transaction sites. Honestly, there were only 2 games that I would have paid a good $15-$20 for. Final Fantasy BMP and Heroes Realm. Anyhow, I'm gonna like seeing how developers handle this new privilege.
author=WIP
Commercial game support is good, but seems a bit too constrained and featureless to seem worth it.
We give all of our best features away for free.

author=Ljink
I like how this site is always being updated and lively. Keep that up.:)

Commercial game implementation is a neat concept but I can't imagine many people actually paying via other transaction sites. Honestly, there were only 2 games that I would have paid a good $15-$20 for. Final Fantasy BMP and Heroes Realm. Anyhow, I'm gonna like seeing how developers handle this new privilege.
I am always open to the idea of people giving me money.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Well. This is a dramatic reversal of past policy.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
I welcome the coming of the game archive vault, we really need one. =(
Kentona, you forgot to add that anky added the shortcuts bar for when you edit a post. It was an early Christmas present and all~

Otherwise, everything sounds pretty good, and I'm looking forward to seeing the portal upgrades fo' sho'.
Pages: first 12345 next last