RM GAMES TRANSLATIONS

Pages: 1
Sometimes people ask me permission to translate my games. I just got an e-mail last night from a guy who wants to translate Suzy and freedom. It's a good thing, because he wants to take the game to a broader range of players. Apart from the fact that I dislike translations in general, I feel somewhat bothered about this. But I shouldn't. I guess because someone will open the game in the editor, modify it, and release it again? I dunno.

Question is... should I be worried? Or should I just stop being stupid and say "sure, thank you!"?
The way I see it, people who want to open and change it are going to do so, regardless of your permission. You should be glad to see it into translated into a foreign language as a labor of love.
I know I would ;-;
edchuy
You the practice of self-promotion
The question is whether you feel comfortable with whomever the translator is. You wouldn't want important things to be lost in translation ... Unless you know the other language, you're kind of @ the mercy of the translator interpretation of whatever text is written, once you've given them permission to do so.

I have noticed that translators movies and TV shows in English do an awful job of subtitling them, especially when comedy is involved.
All translators are bound to screw something up in the midst of translation.

But like Dyhalto said, you should just feel grateful to even see more people play your game from across the world, bad translation or not. It may not be perfect, but it’s better than nothing.

Don’t worry about such stupid things, calunio, and just go with it.
If you like the idea of your game being played by others, you can always translate it yourself.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
Reminds me, I had this Korean guy ask me via e-mail to translate my game. I told him it was okay as long as he has my permission, and all he said was "okay."

Yeah.

I guess I'm sort of iffy on these things because I feel anxious about people I don't trust touching my work, but I guess it isn't too bad of a thing to get your game played by a new audience.
Ok, so the translation is done. I have no means to check if it's a good translation, but I don't really care at this point.

Just wondering how can I play the game with actual korean characters? I get a bunch of messed up characters in the game.
Change the Language for Non-Unicode Programs to Korean...Under Control Panel, Region and Language, Administrative.
Not much a stupid question, makes sense: in most countries, every product you make is "all rights reserved" by default, this means everybody must ask you for written permission before doing anything with your game.
To solve this, declare a license with your game to tell which permissions are allowed for people for usage, distributing, modifying and such. A good start is to use a Creative Commons licensing.

If RPG Maker are 2000/2003, they are non-unicode, so it will be a bit more difficult. There are some string extractors out there.

You can use EasyRPG's LCF2XML to get all maps and database strings in XML already converted in UTF8, by adding the encoding in RPG_RT.ini with these 2 new lines:

[RPG_RT]
; some RPG_RT specific settings

[EasyRPG]
Encoding=1252
1252 is for western langs, including Spanish, French, German and other with symbols like ñçßäáô.
Replace with 932 for Japanese or 949 for Korean.
All possible codes (depending on RPG Maker translation): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_code_page#List

Download LCF2XML for Windows from here:
https://easy-rpg.org/jenkins/job/lcf2xml-mingw32/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/

You can convert from .lmu and .ldb to .xml and vice-versa. Note there could be bugs (and you should not mix special characters from different encodings), so make backups often.
Pages: 1