[POLL] SO AN ANIMAL RIGHTS GROUP WANTS TO BOYCOTT GTA 5... REALLY?

Poll

Do you agree with a GTA 5 boycott? - Results

Yes, game or not killing animals is wrong.
5%
No, it's fiction find more pressing REAL issues to deal with
94%

Pages: first 12 next last
Right off the bat I want to make it very clear that I love animals. I have 5 cats and two ferrets. Also my wife is a vet tech and dog groomer. Now that being said, I found out today that an animal rights group wants to boycott GTA 5 for it's use of animal violence, now I have several complaints about that.

(1) It's targeted to adults, even has that on the lable people under 17 can't even but it.
(2) IT'S A VIDEO GAME.
(3) It's perfectly ok for people to get torn to shreds in any way thinkable, but run over a cow or hurt any other animal and it's like "Oh no you didn't".
(4) Oh and again... IT'S A VIDEO GAME... for GROWN ADULTS.

If kids get a hold of it, that's not the developers fault. Also, don't get me started on video games can make people to crazy things. That's nothing more then an excuse to try for the insanity plea. So please people of RMN, weigh in your thoughts.
Violence to animals in GTA V? Unless it's in the game's story (which I didn't finish), I must've missed it because I don't recall ever seeing a single animal in my many hours of GTA Online.
what about Mario and getting dress up into a catsuit?
author=kentona
what about Mario and getting dress up into a catsuit?

If I'm understanding your post correctly I agree. So speaking as their minds should work. It don't matter if it's playful and cartoony or filled with gore. Animal violence is still violence right, it almost sounds hypacritical. Now like I said, I don't at all support REAL LIFE animal abuse in any fanshion, but this is so dumb. Here's the TMZ article on the subject.

http://www.tmz.com/2013/09/21/animal-rights-org-boycott-gta-v-for-shameless-animal-murder/
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
"Guys I don't know if you are aware of this but this is a game where you play as a professional killer, doing all kinds of horrible things for money. And this is the seventh game they've made just like this."
author=LockeZ
"Guys I don't know if you are aware of this but this is a game where you play as a professional killer, doing all kinds of horrible things for money. And this is the seventh game they've made just like this."
and apparently if you collect 100 coins, you get a 1up
author=kentona
author=LockeZ

LOL @ you both. LockeZ funny that you mention that, I was just thinking. Since this is the seventh game why is it that they wait till now to try crap like this? Now I could be wrong, but I don't remember them pulling this for prior games in the series, becuse I know that there has been some form of fictional animal violence in the past games. These guys and groups like PETA all drive me nuts.

Years ago PETA cut loose the fence of one of my in-laws farm and four of his cows got loose on the highway and were killed by a car. Their reply was "We were only setting the cows free." I know that has nothing to do with GTA 5, I'm just pointing out how insane these companies can be. Good intentions are no substitute for bad choices.
author=Troll
Grand Theft Auto V" crossed the line by allowing game-playing children to run over, behead and kill animals -- and a prominent animal rights group is calling for a boycott.

I think it's an insult to call anyone older than 17 (or even 15) a child. Anyway, I am surprised that PETA wasn't behind this. But it's the same logic again: Animal > Human. Honestly, I wasn't aware that animals exist in GTA. I don't play it, but from what I've seen, there wasn't a single animal in any of the screenshot or gameplay. :O

It's true that they are just using GTA to get publicity and trust from the dumb parents. I've shot a bunch of dogs in Resident Evil, and yet, I haven't heard any complains. Obviously, GTA has a worse reputation than RE.

But this article is really old, though. :P

Years ago PETA cut loose the fence of one of my in-laws farm and four of his cows got loose on the highway and were killed by a car. Their reply was "We were only setting the cows free."

Whut? Can't they get sued for that? O.O
author=Mr_Detective
Whut? Can't they get sued for that? O.O

They did get sued and my in-law won, but the point is though, their logic is all kinds of wrong.

EDIT 1: I cant recall off the top of my head which game in the series it was, but I remember a part where you can if you want to run over a cow.

EDIT 2: Its weird though, GTA can promote drugs, prostitution, grand theft and murder but all they care about is animals being killed.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
The funny part is, GTA5 doesn't even really "allow" you to do any of those things; it sends police after you if you're caught.

I mean, I guess it allows players to do animal cruelty in the same way that real life allows people to do it. You can do anything you want, but there are consequences if the wrong people find out.
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
author=kentona
author=LockeZ

"*GASP* That's horrible! We must boycott this at once!"

~People For The Proper Treatment of Points.
why do people treat PETA like they're a rights group? they're not. I don't quite know what they are, but their activism is always simply targeted at popular subjects rather than those that merit their attention in an attempt to spread their name, and their actual animal rescues most often result in the animal being euthanized -- they shelter animals for less than 24 hours, which is rarely ever enough to find a foster home, and then they kill it. as groups go, PETA is aimless, insane, and actively harmful to the cause it purports to follow. don't act as though they speak for all animals rights groups.
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
Just today the cook and I at work were having a conversation about "If a guy doesn't remember a thing that happened, then does that mean it didn't happen?" He was like yeah, and I was like naw man, Shadows on the Cave Wall, y'know?

I only picked a PETA acronym because it was the first thing that popped into my head, you see.

(mawk is totally right, by the way)
Not that I want to see anyone vote yes, but I'm curious to see if anyone feels the other way about this issue. Or even if someone is willing to play devils advicate, because I just want to at least try to understand their logic. As of right now, nothing they have said makes sense.
Did anyone ever play the PETA's protest game of Pokemon? Weird shit. The PETA are generally insane though and completely destroy any legitimate concerns people might have, which is a real shame because there ARE issues to be dealt with.
I remember playing PETA's Cooking Mama inspired flash game in which a woman is brutally murdering animals in her kitchen in preparation for Thanksgiving dinner. I don't think I ever laughed so hard at a flash game before, it was so ridiculous.

YES: http://features.peta.org/CookingMama/
LockeZ

SUCH ANIMAL CRUELTY
author=Amy
Did anyone ever play the PETA's protest game of Pokemon? Weird shit. The PETA are generally insane though and completely destroy any legitimate concerns people might have, which is a real shame because there ARE issues to be dealt with.

this is a huge part of the problem, yeah. beyond playing a larger part in the killing of animals than they do in saving them, they also make things harder for legitimate animal activist groups by tainting the image of the movement as a whole. no one's going to take you seriously if they can relate you to the people who made a game protesting cruelty in Pokemon, of all things.
I'll say this;

Protecting animals and ensuring their safety is perfectly fine and moral.

Acting as if fictionalized abuse/deaths of animals is an irredeemable evil and warrants boycotting, of all things, when shit like that happens in media in general all the time anyway, is stupid.

Of course, GTA has always kinda attracted idiots so eh.
I'll say it again, as wrong as animal abuse is. It bothers me to no ends that GTA can promote drugs, murder, auto theft and prostatution. Yet they don't care about anything other then animal abuse. Not about GTA directly, but I can recall in the past when they would bitch about video games and animal abuse, reports asked them about this very complaint. About the other things wrong in video games, to which they didn't reply.
Pages: first 12 next last