FOUR STARS...FOR WHAT ??

author=alterego
Amerk misspoke when he was talking about the number of reviews. It's only natural that the number of reviews will increase with the number games and the number of users joining the site. But he was dead-on about the gap between the number of games and ratings, and the presence of biased ratings affecting games for years to come. But these numbers are likely to increase too, and we'll need to address that at some point or another. It's better if we start thinking about it now.

Yeah, pretty much. Liberty nina'ed my comment with her stats, so it's good to know the amount of reviews haven't died, but it does seem that games have suddenly skyrocketed in relation to the amount of reviews.

Kentona has a lot of good ideas that may offer a reasonable compromise, and even y/n helpful reviews and being able to separate from demos, episodes, and completed games could be a good start.

An interesting side note: I just played a game (Veil of Darkness) that was literally about 10 minutes long. And somebody did a full-fledged review for it highlighting the game (and what it was lacking). So it can be done for very short games, although I can't see myself spending more time on a review than the game itself, so I just went with a brief comment.
Linkis
Don't hate me cause I'm Cute :)
author=Rave
Admins' unwillingness to compromise will just lead to downfall of this site as people start leaving it.

The admins. spend a terrible amount of time and effort keeping this site interesting and running in top form.....as an example..how many times has our leader begged for donations on his own time and out of the kindness of his heart :)

Really, look at the amount of time Liberty has spent talking with us, trying to get us to understand that what the mods want from us is not too much to ask.

Let's let Kentona have the time he needs to read all the posts on this thread and weigh the issues. I'm sure he will do that before telling us to *&%$#@ off again :) hahahaha

Even though I have not created a game as most of you have, I really love this site. This is where I spend time more than any other place on the internet.
I hope this thread that I created did not cause any damage or hard feelings to the rmn community.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
Yeah I love this community, and the mods. Love you guys. <3
author=Linkis
Even though I have not created a game as most of you have, I really love this site. This is where I spend time more than any other place on the internet.
I hope this thread that I created did not cause any damage or hard feelings to the rmn community.

Don't worry about it. I've only completed one game, and I've been too distracted to work on my next, mainly because I prefer playing games than making them.

And that's what's really nice about the RM community, is that it attracts both players and developers alike, and both can provide decent enough feedback.

I think this site, RMW, and VXAN are the top 3 RPG Maker sites now, and it's nice to see that the love for RPG Maker is still strong. Even if a large chunk of games are bad or never completed, there's still quite a few gems to be found (several of which are on this site alone).

On top of that, this site caters to almost any game editor ever known. Where else you going to go to find so many free games (legally)?
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=Rave
^So much this.

Admins' unwillingness to compromise will just lead to downfall of this site as people start leaving it.

Okay, totally not fair. Liberty may be being a bit hard-headed, but look at how much time she's spending on this thread with us and tossing these ideas around. That alone is awesomeness. There are sites that you don't even know who the admins are until they're making some kingly announcement to the peasants or banning you for a reason you didn't even know was against the rules.

As per my suggestion. You've simplified it. I recommend a comments page for non-reviews with the ability to rate, yes, but to keep this SEPARATE from reviews. In other words, two different ratings. "The critics gave this game two stars, and the user community gave it 4 1/2 stars." Why is it important to do this, Liberty keeps asking:

In the 1970s, science fantasy and science fiction films weren't very popular. The typical sci-fi movie was low budget and used scores composed of classical music by such artists as Mozart and Tchaikovsky. Well, there was this fellow named George, and he was no exception. He was writing what he considered a grand space opera. He set it to the music of Rachmaninoff and Dvorak, and figured that that would carry his space opera. What was his space opera? It was a new Flash Gordon movie that he had been dreaming. It was to be his masterpiece. Unfortunately, the owners of Flash Gordon didn't think George was particularly good writer, so George had to adjust the story a little bit, but not by much.

He began to film the movie on his own. When George's good friend, Steven learned that George intended to score his movie with Rachmaninoff and Dvorak works, he was mortified. He told George that he should talk to his musician friend, Johnny. Steven had used Johnny to compose the music for his recent movie, "Jaws". George agreed to talk to him, but didn't figure on being swayed, and then Johnny composed a brilliant score. George was obsessed with realism and developed new photography techniques.

In 1977, theaters grudgingly agreed to release George's movie. George's movie, "Star Wars" got some of the worst reviews and ratings of the year, being called "soulless", "nothing more than spare parts", and "an epic without a dream". Of the numerous reviews, only a handful had anything good to say.

So why did it succeed and become what many consider to be the greatest film of all time? Because even in 1977, long before the internet, the movie-goers had their own say. There was still word of mouth, newsletters that people could write to, clubs and organizations, and while the New York Times called it trash, legions of fans were growing.

You keep asking "why", so Lib, I ask you, "Why?" Why must everyone who wishes to voice his or her opinion write a review or remain silent? Not everyone wants to write a review, or feels confident doing so, thus does that mean their opinions should be meaningless? Not everyone wants to have to think about it and write an essay. Why? Why must it be your way or the highway? Why? Why can't there be a simpler system to appease the profanis vulgar?
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
author=pianotm
Why must everyone who wishes to voice his or her opinion write a review or remain silent?

Maybe comment.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
Pianotm, the only counter-argument I have for that example is the fact that the members doing reviews aren't really of a higher status, or much different, than those who don't. While there ARE some committed reviewers on this site, the authors of each review tends to vary more often than not, and each approaches a game in a completely different style compared to others. So the "profanis vulgar" is really everyone.

Also, what's stopping people from posting simple comments on the game page? Reviews aren't the only way to give feedback to developers.
Ah, but piano! In your example the movie-goers actually watched the movie! The polls were taken from those who had seen it in theatres, thus had experienced it!

There's no way beyond reviews to prove that someone judging the game (with but a press of a button) has actually played the game, even if they have downloaded it. And there-in is my issue. People should have played a game to have a say on what it is scored and aside from telling them to give examples and talk about their experiences, there is no definitive way of knowing that they played a game. Thus, 300 words - enough to prove you've actually played it by giving a few examples and your opinion. You get to justify your opinion to others with your words, so that even if you gave a lower score, others can see why you did so.

And again, sure, give comments. Hell, put an unofficial score in a comment but if you want to actually make a difference as to the score of a game, 300 words isn't much.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=Ratty524
Pianotm, the only counter-argument I have for that example is the fact that the members doing reviews aren't really of a higher status, or much different, than those who don't. While there ARE some committed reviewers on this site, the authors of each review tends to vary more often than not, and each approaches a game in a completely different style compared to others. So the "profanis vulgar" is really everyone.

Also, what's stopping people from posting simple comments on the game page? Reviews aren't the only way to give feedback to developers.

Absolutely true, but there is a slight difference: if you're going to be forced to write a set amount of characters (and I do think it should be more than 300), then you're going be less inclined to do so when all you really want to say is, "Hey man, this shit bites!" So even a reviewer with no professional training, if he's going to take that plunge, is going to take a bit more consideration for what he writes, especially knowing that his one-line insult over and over again isn't likely to be approved. Most people under this circumstance will be at least forced to justify their point of view. Of course, if a writer is willing to devote an entire review to poisoned ink...well, that's an artform in and of itself. It's easy to insult: it's not so easy to write a string of insults and stay clever and original without deviating.

I had suggested that people could simply comment on the game page earlier on, in absolute defense of the review system, but as I read what was being written here, I realized the deficiency in that: it lacks that coveted tallying system that people in this thread seem to be looking for, and that's really what this argument is about. People don't want to have to read the reviews. They want to see the stars and maybe read one review to the gist of why the ratings are high or low.

And yes, we all really are the profanis vulgar, but only a small percentage of us are willing to take the time to sit down and organize our thoughts, standing above the rest. Finally, that brings us to the reward. The person who makes a comment and clicks the like button shouldn't be able to contribute to MS. That should be reserved for the careful reviewer who takes the time to organize his or her thoughts. But wouldn't it be nice if developers had that general expression of what their fans think without having to sift pages of comments? And as Rya has argued, wouldn't be nice of the rest of us, the player had that first impression to influence our decisions.

People are fans for a reason. If there a 1000 likes and the game has 4 stars, even with stupid hate and favoritism clicks, overall, we will still have a fair assessment of how people generally like the game.

Now, I am going into longwinded excessive speech mode again, so I'll stop here before I write a novel.

Edit: Ah, yes. How do we know they're playing the games? Where's the proof? Well, there's a solution to that, too. Don't worry about it. You might not like it or approve, but there's really nothing you can do about it, and it's a problem that will continue to exist no matter what you do. Trolls come in all walks of life and you really can't stop them. Their impact tends to be minor. When their impact becomes major, there is usually some impetus behind it. Requiring downloads to accompany such flags, while as you said, isn't proof either, will still likely cut down on such a problem. Proof. It's an unenforceable. Unenforceable problems, as painful as this suggestion may seem, must be ignored. If you think about it, even reviews don't provide proof the game has been played, since you can get everything you need to trick a person into thinking you know what you're talking about off of the gamepage. Easy. Just write a review that doesn't care about mechanics.
I'd probably do it so that:
1. Person needs to be logged in to vote.
2. Person needs to have pressed on a "download" button on the game page at least once or else he will get the message "You need to play the game before rating it".

This will prevent most of the "I just rate the game page votes".

I also highly doubt that keeping the system will be the downfall of this website. The current rather pointless one-review scores only have the following effect on me: I don't play any games here, because it's too hard for me to tell which game is worth trying.

What really helped was thebennyguy's top RM games of all times thread: http://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/14780/
That thread actually got me to try out some of the top 10 games I hadn't played yet (why isn't it stickied?). It has a much more accurate rating than if I go to the main page and sort games by stars:
http://rpgmaker.net/games/?engine=&status=&rating=&commercial=&sort=rating&portal=None (link not working)
(the worst part about the sorting however is still what I mentioned in my first post in this thread: it doesn't consider more reviews better and it doesn't differentiate between 0.1 steps when calculating the average over all reviews, everything between 4.3 and 4.7 will just be 4.5 stars; also now that I look at it, a filter for "only show games with at least 2 reviews" would be nice as well)

Edit: Looks like directly linking to the search URL doesn't work, guess you have to do it manually to see it.
author=RyaReisender
I'd probably do it so that:
1. Person needs to be logged in to vote.
2. Person needs to have pressed on a "download" button on the game page at least once or else he will get the message "You need to play the game before rating it".

I was going to counter argue that a person may have dl'ed the game on another site and may not want to dl it again. And then there is the fact that some games use off site hosts for their dl rather than through RMN. However, I'm taking a step back to say if RMN were to develop this, then

1. It should be reasonable to expect a person will download it again from here just to vote on it, even if they already have it. They can always delete the extra copy. But, by making the download a requirement from here, this could generate more traffic for RMN because this will encourage people to come here more often to download the game.

2. It should be reasonable to expect the developer will host their game here and not offsite, if they are expecting to receive a considerable amount of votes. By hosting the game here, it encourages more people to download from RMN versus going offsite, thus making point 1 more effective in generating traffic, and it will help RMN maintain their stats.

What's to stop someone from downloading over and over again and voting x times? I know we have a cap of one download per day (because people were deliberately downloading more than once so that their download number was high - oh, look, an unimportant number being boosted deliberately. How much more would someone be likely to boost their score, then?) but that doesn't stop them from downloading and voting every day after.

Oh, but tie one vote to your account! I hear you say that already. And what if the game gets an update and they want to change their vote? Nope, sorry, locked in! And what will stop people from creating duplicate accounts to fudge the votes?

Also, you all talk about thousands of votes evening out those who would get their friends to vote for them but don't even bother taking into account that it would be less than that. Check how many downloads a game page gets on average. Half it. That's the amount of votes they MIGHT get. That won't work like you think it will. A game like Heroes Realm that is already well known and well liked, okay, but the review scores sum it up pretty well. Let's take one of your games then, shall we?
71 downloads. That'd be... hm.. 35 opinions. If each of those were a legit (and not someone just 'looks good 5 stars') and proper opinion you'd probably get about the same score as what you have via the review. How has that changed any?

Really, I think you're over-estimating the amount of people you'd get clicking those buttons. You'd be lucky if 1/3rd of the players that downloaded actually returned to the game page to leave a comment - and they'd be the pool you're asking to actually cast a vote. So... let's see. Again, using your game, amerk, 71 downloads with 1 comment. That's one certain, for sure person who revisited your game page and is eligible for a vote. Two, actually, since your reviewer had to go back to the page to actually put up the review. That makes two for-sure people who we know for fact rechecked your page after downloading.

... are you sure you wouldn't rather a review?

Okay, so let's try the average random game then, instead. Maybe your game is just unlucky. SEND ME IN COACH! LUCKY # 7 AND ...
Migget Chainsaw Hands... IDEK
Well, whatever, here's the stats - one decent 3-star review, 125 downloads, 3 comments. That would lead to 4 for-certain POSSIBLE voters.

Another game?
With His Father's Sword
One very light (but before standards were created) 4.5-star review, 1166 downloads, 6 for-certain possible voters.

Another? ANOTHER!
Reavers
One in-depth 4-star review, 680 downloads , 10 for-certain possible voters.

Do keep in mind that the for certain possible voters won't necessarily vote. No. They're the certain pool that we know will have the choice to vote because we KNOW they revisited the page after the download was added. If we take into account those who actually say anything about the game, thus proving their playing it, the numbers are even less.

As I said, you'd be lucky to get even 1/3 of people to even return to your page - and that's without voting. Those 'thousands' you mentioned are possible only in the case of games that already have over one or two reviews, thus whose numbers are already a bit more balanced.

Oh and I picked these games at random. #7 of a SEND ME IN COACH with the HAS DOWNLOAD option ticked.

An interesting idea I just had:

What if there was a sort of popularity ranking. Please, allow me to finish. The ranking would be kept invisible to avoid spam and trolls, and it would in no way effect the game's score.

So we don't change the review process and we keep the scoring based on reviews that have been approved (like we do now), however, the popularity of the game is determined based on traffic to the game's page.

Basically, anytime the main page gets a hit could be one popularity point, and any action on that page (subscribing, downloading, reviewing, commenting, etc) could be another point.

Then allow the viewers and players the ability to sort by popularity and reversed popularity. Again, the amount of popularity a game has won't be shown, and a popular game could still wind up with a low score, or an unpopular game with a high score.

What this does is:

1. It allows the player to see what's popular or not, and also helps to drive the popularity of a game they like by subscribing, commenting, downloading, or reviewing.

2. It gives new players a chance to see the score of the most popular and unpopular games and decide if it fits, and if they find it doesn't fit, it may encourage them to do a review of their own to balance out the score.

3. To avoid trolling and constantly refreshing a game page to boost popularity, maybe make it so a game can only get 1 popularity point per day per user just for visiting the page, but there is no limit to the amount of popularity points give per action. It's much easier to see when somebody is trolling with comments to boost popularity than just visiting a game. Also, if a review is denied, the game won't get that popularity point for the review until is approved.

4. Even an extra bonus is to allow popularity points to be subtracted if, for example, a comment is reported as spam.
We do have something like that with Buzzing games - they show up on the front page if they receive enough attention (comments, downloads, page visits) during a certain time and it degrades over time so that other games can get on the page (unless it's Pom... well, Pom has over a million views and is still gaining more every day, so...).
It's not kept, as such, but it does allow a game to be featured on the front page (of course, we discourage gaming the system by warnings and removal of buzz score to 0 - after a certain few people were trying to do the dastardly - but then it's easy to catch that kinda stuff than button pressing ;p ).

I'm not actually opposed to that idea, though I don't really see a reason for it bar 'this is popular'. Hell, I could probably guess the top games on the list pretty easily (Pom, Heroes Realm, and the other games that already top the stats lists in the monthly round-up - which are basically the same games).

That said, limiting it to only interactions from the public - not anyone who is tagged as dev, lead dev or helper, could keep it fair-ish, though that doesn't get rid of people commenting once a day forever onwards just to bump it up.

Hm... but the question is why would it be needed? Do people really care about what is popular bar trends that come and go? That is, because the same games are on top of the list all the time there'd be no real reason since those games were the obviously popular ones and ones everyone knows already (and are most likely already on the Featured list if no-where else).

At least with buzzing there's a degrade so only those games that are popular within a set amount of time jump to the top. There's even a sort by buzz option already, too.

What would be neat is a recommend feature. Say it links to your personal account page and you choose a handful of games to recommend for others checking out your profile to play. We've actually talked about doing more with profiles in the past. Hm...
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Previously featured games could probably actually be filtered out of the buzz lists, since they've already had their time in the sun.
C'mon, people. Including a written score in a comment is not a sincere alternative. -_- Would we be making this much of a fuss over something we already know we can do, and even sometimes do? ((For example, I mini-reviewed and scored all the Cook-Off contest games. Something I did to see if I could keep up with an event and remain fair, so maybe I could help judge one someday. *wink*)). No, we want this because we want to make a difference - a true difference. If we're not "cool" enough to effect the main rating, then we settle for a popular rating. But it needs to be no less official a rating than the main one... xP

What if people want to change their vote? Simple, allow them to change it. What's the problem? Ratings from reviews can be changed, can't they? Not to mention updating reviews is not a thing we enforce. This too is an issue that has been brought up countless times before: outdated reviews drag down the score of games.

What will stop people from creating multiple accounts and vote? The same thing that stop people from creating multiple accounts and submit reviews that makes their games look better than others. Someone was banned recently for trying that trick. The people that can see the Matrix can tell if you're cheating the system and ban your IP.

When download numbers were being cheated we didn't forfeit download counts entirely, did we? We weren't: "Ugh! Look at this unimportant number and all the trouble it causes! Kill it! Kill it with fiyaaaa!" No, we simply punished the people responsible and made sure download counts were never abused in the same way again.

Also, any numbers you send our way are pure speculation. To be fair so are any numbers we send your way. But we are in no position to prove anything. However, you are. Implement the system, watch it fail, rub it in our faces for the rest of forever... I'm willing to bet that if you take the risk you may be surprised by the actual outcome.
_
Now, to counter an argument from my own side. xD I don't care about the popularity of games. I think we can already gauge that by looking at the front-page, like Liberty said, or simply looking at the amount of subscribers, page-views, downloads, etc, a game has. And searching games through these criteria is already possible. So maybe I'm not really understanding what the purpose of this idea is, but it doesn't look like a real alternative for what we're discussing here.
_
But while we are in the realm of crazy ideas. How about this? ...Being able to rate a game you review is not that much of a reward. It's pretty discouraging, actually. Because like I've said, no one reviews all the games they play (And I'd like to put emphasis on this because it's not getting through. xD) However, I can see myself push myself to write a review for the games I liked the most in any given period of time, if that grants me the privilege of rating all the others.

This way you get more reviews, you get more ratings, you get the certainty that a person is not the type of dimwit that would score a game just because the gamepage looks pretty, and everybody is frikking happy for once... Now it would be just a matter of setting a seasonable quota and a reasonable period of time time. A review per month, maybe?
What's to stop someone from downloading over and over again and voting x times?

Simple: Each account can only vote once.
author=alterego
But while we are in the realm of crazy ideas. How about this? ...Being able to rate a game you review is not that much of a reward. It's pretty discouraging, actually. Because like I've said, no one reviews all the games they play (And I'd like to put emphasis on this because it's not getting through. xD) However, I can see myself push myself to write a review for the games a liked the most in any given period of time, if that grants me the privilege of rating all the others.

This way you get more reviews, you get more ratings, you get the certainty that a person is not the type of dimwit that would score a game just because the gamepage looks pretty, and everybody is frikking happy for once... Now it would be just a matter of setting a seasonable quota and a reasonable period of time time, a year? a month? w/e.

I don't get this idea at all. What's the reward? I mean, for a review you at least get some MS to go along with the review (a decent sum at that). How would this idea work because maybe it's just the lateness but I don't understand what you're proposing exactly.

You... get to review only what you rate? Or you rate only what you've reviewed? Hm... how about reviewing unlocks x number of rates.

The biggest issue is the coding side of things. It's great to give ideas but implementing them is an issue especially as there are only a few of people able to actually make sense of (and are trusted to touch) the site code. So suggesting something isn't as easy as saying 'make this' and expecting it to work with everything else on the site, which is why reviews so far are what we've got (since they're already coded and work). Like kentona said, he's been looking into extras but finding an idea that works with what we currently have...

Also, I'd personally like to hear from more than just the same six people. I'm just one mod (and not even the one in charge of reviews XD ) but if we're to introduce changes of a large scale we need to know how many people want those changes. I've seen only a handful of people replying to this topic so far and it's pretty evenly split both ways, so a larger pool would help in this case, though I imagine most people wouldn't care.

So here's the thing - want to prove that people will rate something? You mentioned it being hard to come up with numbers, poll it. Let's see numbers of those who want a change vs those who are indifferent or don't want the change. That should give a good base idea of how many people might actually use the system and whether it's worth it or not to change to a system like you're suggesting.
author=amerk
An interesting idea I just had:

What if there was a sort of popularity ranking. Please, allow me to finish. The ranking would be kept invisible to avoid spam and trolls, and it would in no way effect the game's score.

So we don't change the review process and we keep the scoring based on reviews that have been approved (like we do now), however, the popularity of the game is determined based on traffic to the game's page.

Basically, anytime the main page gets a hit could be one popularity point, and any action on that page (subscribing, downloading, reviewing, commenting, etc) could be another point.

Then allow the viewers and players the ability to sort by popularity and reversed popularity. Again, the amount of popularity a game has won't be shown, and a popular game could still wind up with a low score, or an unpopular game with a high score.

What this does is:

1. It allows the player to see what's popular or not, and also helps to drive the popularity of a game they like by subscribing, commenting, downloading, or reviewing.

2. It gives new players a chance to see the score of the most popular and unpopular games and decide if it fits, and if they find it doesn't fit, it may encourage them to do a review of their own to balance out the score.

3. To avoid trolling and constantly refreshing a game page to boost popularity, maybe make it so a game can only get 1 popularity point per day per user just for visiting the page, but there is no limit to the amount of popularity points give per action. It's much easier to see when somebody is trolling with comments to boost popularity than just visiting a game. Also, if a review is denied, the game won't get that popularity point for the review until is approved.

4. Even an extra bonus is to allow popularity points to be subtracted if, for example, a comment is reported as spam.
author=Liberty
We do have something like that with Buzzing games - they show up on the front page if they receive enough attention (comments, downloads, page visits) during a certain time and it degrades over time so that other games can get on the page (unless it's Pom... well, Pom has over a million views and is still gaining more every day, so...).
It's not kept, as such, but it does allow a game to be featured on the front page (of course, we discourage gaming the system by warnings and removal of buzz score to 0 - after a certain few people were trying to do the dastardly - but then it's easy to catch that kinda stuff than button pressing ;p ).

I'm not actually opposed to that idea, though I don't really see a reason for it bar 'this is popular'. Hell, I could probably guess the top games on the list pretty easily (Pom, Heroes Realm, and the other games that already top the stats lists in the monthly round-up - which are basically the same games).

That said, limiting it to only interactions from the public - not anyone who is tagged as dev, lead dev or helper, could keep it fair-ish, though that doesn't get rid of people commenting once a day forever onwards just to bump it up.

Hm... but the question is why would it be needed? Do people really care about what is popular bar trends that come and go? That is, because the same games are on top of the list all the time there'd be no real reason since those games were the obviously popular ones and ones everyone knows already (and are most likely already on the Featured list if no-where else).

At least with buzzing there's a degrade so only those games that are popular within a set amount of time jump to the top. There's even a sort by buzz option already, too.

What would be neat is a recommend feature. Say it links to your personal account page and you choose a handful of games to recommend for others checking out your profile to play. We've actually talked about doing more with profiles in the past. Hm...
You guys just described exactly how the Buzz system (that I devised) works, except I did it better because the various ways to generate Buzz are weighted by the value of the action (view, comment, download, media, review), and the weighted values were based on my statistical research into the database. And it ignores actions taken by devs on their own page. And I have also made a place in the admin console where I can edit a game's buzz manually if I needed to.

I am so far ahead of you guys that you think I am behind.

Anywho, my grandiose idea:

"Give your impression!"
<link on the game profile, next to Add Review>
<taken to a simple form>

Would you recommend others to play this game?(* required)
Yes | No | Meh
<3 options, because amerk (or alterego?) said that BINARY options are bad, and I agree, plus having only the two extremes offends my canadian sensibilities>

Why?(* required)
<standard message box goes here, for people to post text>

<the following questions would also have message boxes, but are optional>
What did you like most about this game?
What did you like least?
How were the game mechanics? Was it fun?
How was the writing?
How was the atmosphere/mapping/level design?

What score would you give this game?(* required...?)
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
<if you want fine grained options, go write a review>

(SABMIT UR IMPRESUN) button

The Impressions are then posted on a separate page on the gameprofile, with the subtotals of Recommendations, Mehs, and DO NOT REC, and the average Impression Score, with the actual recommendations listed below, kind of like so:

alterego recommends this game *thumbs up!*
<content of his Why? answer goes here>
Read more...

amerk does not recommend this game *thumbs down :(*
<content of his Why? answer goes here>
Read more...

Libery shrugs and says "Meh." *meh hands*
<content of her Why? answer goes here>
Read more...

etc...

Under the average rating and # reviews, I'd add 'X out of Y recommend this game'

I think this combines some of the good ideas we had here, and supplements the review and rating system we have here with more opinions.
-It's like a Like button, but with 2 more options!
-It answers the question that really needs answering, really.
-You still need to justify your thoughts!
-It has metrics I can use to sort games!
-It has a format that people who are intimidated by reviews can use to articulate their thoughts
-It has that User Rating that so many of you are foaming at the mouth for
-The game's rating is UNAFFECTED by these impression scores!
-I like a good compromise.
-It is something I feel I could implement.

Other things I want to do:
-Archive reviews for Demos vs Full games, and not have demo reviews affect the full game's average score
-Have a visible "Send a Private Message to the Developer" button on the gameprofile, for those that like the idea of "private reviews"
-Was this review helpful? question for all reviews, and add that to the sorting logic of the review page (sort first by Most helpful, then by review score)
-Show a listing of all the playlists that game belongs to
-Make the average rating be in .1 increments (not sure yet about for individual reviews yet)

Other ideas I had:
-Allow a dev to "pin" or "favorite" comments on his gameprofile (akin to some news sites where editors can flag excellent comments)

GOAL: players finding games they want to play
This is what I am ultimately trying to address with these suggestions.

Here are some points I considered
1. Ratings have merit
2. Too many games have no ratings
3. Most games have too few ratings
4. RPGs take a long time to consume
5. Average rating can be misleading, especially with a small sample size
6. Writing a review focuses your thoughts, leading to a rating that more accurrately reflects your opinion of the game.
7. if you dont want to put effort in your opinion than im afraid you shall have no impact on the game's rating.

Thoughts?