HOLY MOLY

Pages: 1
Linkis
Don't hate me cause I'm Cute :)
Where the hell are all these new games coming from.
Please slow down. :)

I have 18 games on my desktop that I need to play, some are even a few years old but I'm just downloading them.

NOW, I'm seeing several new games a week hitting this site.

I'm a disabled vet who spends a few hours a day playing but am now having trouble keeping up :)

And yes, I chuckled as I typed this :)
At least most of the new ones are only an hour long =P
RPGMakerWeb hosted a indie game dev contest that ran last month where the winner gets $10k (among other things) and quite a few people submitted their games here too. Now there's lots of new games to play! A restriction of the contest was the games should have a maximum of about one hours of playtime so they shouldn't take too long to power through.
author=Linkis
Where the hell are all these new games coming from.
Please slow down. :)

I have 18 games on my desktop that I need to play, some are even a few years old but I'm just downloading them.

NOW, I'm seeing several new games a week hitting this site.

I'm a disabled vet who spends a few hours a day playing but am now having trouble keeping up :)

And yes, I chuckled as I typed this :)

I've got about 300+ titles on my desktop over the past few years. Considering how fast a game can come and go, I stock up. Some tricks I've learned:

1. Focus more on completed games and less on demos.
2. If it's a demo, only download the ones that seem very unique or peaks my interest, unlike the dozens of other demos.
3. Only play about an hour or so of the demos you do download. It's likely to end in a cliff hanger anyways, and this way you'll have enough info whether or not you'll enjoy the completed game when/if it's finished. Most demos won't ever be completed anyways, so chances are high you won't miss out on skipping a demo.

As for games I do donwload (whether completed or demo):

1. Read through the game page. Make sure the story and game description, type of game, and the game's mechanics meet your expectation. Although there are always exceptions, if you don't typically like a particular style of rpg (say open world farming), you'll probably want to skip over a Harvest Moon Clone, even if it is complete.
2. Look at the screenshots, and really study them. If the game page is subpar, there had better be enough screenshots to draw me in. I typically skip downloading games without screenshots, unless the game page appeals to me or the reviews sell me on it. Speaking of which:
3. Read the reviews. No, I don't mean glance at the score and make a decision, but actually open up and read the reviews. That's going to give you much more input (more so than a score, anyways) if it's a game you would consider playing or not. Quite often I come across low-scored games that I know I will (and have) loved; likewise, I've also passed on games that had high scores because I realized it wasn't my taste.

And probably one of the most important:

Don't force yourself to play through a whole game you are not invested in. In that first hour, you should be somewhat invested into the story and game play. If it's boring now, it's likely not to change much. If it's imbalanced now, it's probably going to get worse. And if it's sloppy, buggy, and broken, chances are it's not going to be fixed.

Sure, this comes off a bit critical, but one thing about RM games is they are a dime a dozen. For every game you don't like, there are several more still waiting to be played, and any one of them may appeal to you more.

here's my trick to dealing with the influx:

i don't play games
Linkis
@amerk, yep. You and I pretty much look at games the same way.
I usually look at the engine used. They type, I prefer Adv./Rpg/Action.
If it's got comedy I should enjoy it.
I've also found a few developers I think create good games.
Sorry to say, some are never finished :(

@kentona....ya big fat liar :)
That must have been in jest :)
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=Linkis
@kentona....ya big fat liar :)
That must have been in jest :)

The only thing Kentona lies about is starting games, as far as I know.
Never take me seriously, unless I am being serious.

but truthfully I never play any RM games. My ego couldn't take how much better all of you are at my favorite hobby.
XD
Oh kentona...

@Linkis: It might help you to create a playlist for storing the games you want to eventually play. Frankly, we get a handful of games in every week even without the current contest, so you're always going to be playing catch-up though not quite so much as when an event is held. ^.^
(Personally, I have a folder where I store all the games I want to play. If my computer gets too full, I run through the folder and delete every game whose name doesn't jump out at me for some reason - like a game I know is a friend's, or one that I've been wanting to play for a while now. The only issue is that sometimes I'll download the same game multiple times before I actually either forget about it completely or get around to playing it.)
Linkis
I usually have a icon on my desk top for each game I download.
Then I bought a new computer and had to start all over again :(
I'm us to 18 as I said but then this darn contest comes along and BAM we get a load of new games :(

oh kentona, you don't know what your missing :)
And I've played some of your games and can tell you that
you don't have anything to worry about :)
Holy Moly
Gliese-581(d,g) are not real exoplanets anymore.

Yeah, I also kind of gave up on following the flood of new games. Guess I'll just focus on the featured ones for now.

But the contest shows how much better it is if you plan small.
Pages: 1