I CAN'T THINK OF A TITLE FOR THIS. ROBIN WILLIAMS COMMIT SUICIDE.

Pages: first 123 next last
He took his own life today.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/08/11/robin-williams-dead-at-63/

Holy shit. This just hit me like a brick, I loved the guy. Big part of my childhood on the big screen, and I grew to respect the hell out of the guy. I was just talking about the man in glowing terms a few days ago.

I wouldn't make a topic like this for many celebrities, but this is Robin Williams we're talking about here.

Edit: Committed, whatever. Jesus, his poor family.

I just saw it in the news. Yeah, it's such a shame...

I mean, he was such a great actor, loved by many people and then, he just finishes his life like that? Just, man...

I think the only thing left to say is, May he rest in Peace...
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
People have the right to decide to die. It's not our place to question it.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
WHAT?!

author=LouisCyphre

No, fuck you! It didn't have to end this way.

And don't feed me that shit that you care as much as the next guy, because the next guy is in mourning.

EDIT: Oh, nevermind, I just remembered who you are.

Somebody make these spin/vibrate/sparkle+sunglasses please; I'm a no-effort bad.
ChaosProductions proudly presents: 50 Shades of Grump #bestsellerorfraud #nofeels #filmbuff #shmupsoedgeeeeeee #circlejerk
author=Corfaisus
It didn't have to end this way.

So true. :( He was such an iconic and timeless actor of the past 3 decades, I wish the later parts of his life could have transpired differently. Hollywood kills the soul.
author=LouisCyphre

this isn't about questioning it. this is about mourning. whether he was 'right' to take his own life isn't up for discussion. we can't experience what he experienced, and we can't know what finally forced the decision. he's struggled with depression and substance abuse for a long time now -- these are things that can strike unexpectedly and for seemingly no reason, and then as if that weren't bad enough make you feel as if it's your own fault for not feeling the correct things.

I'd thank people not to get off on a tangent here about the morality of taking one's own life, whether it's to posture about how logical you are or to say that he was 'wrong' to do it. let's remember him, and what he meant to us.

(that isn't necessarily directed at you, Louis -- but I've seen time and time again where that thread goes, and I'd prefer not to have it happen here. this place has more than its share of people who would try it.)
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
Er, that wasn't my intention; I've just seen a lot of indignation and entitlement surrounding this news. None of that has any place when remembering a great man, and I didn't want it to crop up here.

Now seems like a prime time to rewatch, say, Bicentennial Man. It's always been my favorite role of Mr. Williams'.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
What a sad, sad death. May he rest in peace. He was a brilliant actor, and even though I never knew him as a man, his performances are cherished by many.

He was brilliant in Good Will Hunting. Heartwarming, empathetic, and soulful. His legacy as Genie from Aladdin will continue. His dastardly turn as Walter Finch in Insomnia was mesmerizing. I seem to have forgotten until now that he was in Awakenings also, as well as Dead Poets Society. One Hour Photo saw him in a creepy twisted turn. Sure, he's been in terrible films, such as Old Dogs, License to Wed, Flubber, RV, Patch Adams (holy cow, there are a lot), Hook, August Rush, Bicentennial Man (sorry, LouisCyphre, but that is a terribly cliche movie in my eyes), Night at the Museum, Night at the Museum 2, Jumanji (OK, now we're getting to average level, not terrible), but he was still a pretty good actor when he was directed right.

Anyway, it was pretty shocking to see him go so quickly. Apparently he had depression for a while. My condolences to his loved ones.
author=LouisCyphre
Er, that wasn't my intention; I've just seen a lot of indignation and entitlement surrounding this news. None of that has any place when remembering a great man, and I didn't want it to crop up here.

Now seems like a prime time to rewatch, say, Bicentennial Man. It's always been my favorite role of Mr. Williams'.
yeah, it was unfair of me to pin that all on you -- I agree that it's inappropriate to cast this as though Robin Williams was 'wrong' somehow. the question of suicide's morality is entirely unpleasant and tangential, though, so I wanted to make sure it wouldn't happen here.

I think this might be a good time for me to go back and watch Dead Poets Society, or something like that. when I saw it in high school, I was still trying very hard to be jaded and logical, and came out of it entirely unimpressed as a result. I'm not sure what I'd make of it today, since my outlook has changed so fundamentally.

e: vvv ooh. I've heard a lot about those, particularly today, but I've never actually seen them. onto the List, I suppose!
If you want some good Robin Williams films, watch The Fisher King or maybe What Dreams May Come. What Dreams May Come deals with depression, suicide, and the after life, so I guess that's apt.
Man I heard about this on the radio. This sucks I really liked his works. I am watching Aladdin with my boys.
Yeah, this sucks. I thought it was one of those hoaxes, and I was hit pretty out of nowhere when it was confirmed for real. My grandma and I were talking about this yesterday, her favorite movie of hers was The Birdcage. I haven't watched it, but I'll watch it now.

Definitely one of the most solid, loved, and powerful actors in the business. It's really sad to see him pass.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
"A guy who did silly voices in the nineties is dead" wouldn't be much of a hoax. Since my first response was, "Oh, he was still alive?"
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Very sad news to wake up to. RIP.

Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
Loved the guy as well. He was a spectacular actor and he kind of sticks with me on the account that I grew up around the time of his heyday.

It's a shame this is how it ends. I can't watch Jumanji or Aladdin in the same way now. :(
Tau
RMN sex symbol
It hurts to think of such a hilarious guy being depressed enough to kill himself. I loved this guy, it was a dream of mine to one day just meet him & show my appreciation. One of the few comedians to ever make me laugh no matter what, this one hurt. I wish for your freedom Genie :\ [youtube]http://youtu.be/bNTUUpHO7Io[/youtube] (Such a funny man, huge anime fan as well)
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
author=Tau
(Such a funny man, huge anime fan as well)

He was a big gamer too. He named his daughter Zelda.
author=Tau
It hurts to think of such a hilarious guy being depressed enough to kill himself.

Yeah, no kidding. Even more depressing is how every story I've read from people who have met him all claim that he was a very friendly and nice guy who always tried to make people smile. It's devastating to think that a person who is so genuinely nice to people and full of such positive energy can be so tormented behind closed doors.
Pages: first 123 next last