[POLL] YOUR FAVORITE RPG SETTING

Poll

What is your favorite RPG Setting an why? - Results

Fantasy(anything's possible, usually a mix between different settings)
50%
Medieval
8%
Futuristic
9%
Modern Day/Realistic
16%
Steampunk
4%
Western
0%
Other
11%

Pages: first 123 next last
Deciding on a setting for a game is one of the first things I do when planning my projects.

I suppose that the Fantasy setting is my favorite, since my imagination is very vast. It can also add a lot of variety to the different locations of a game which I enjoy. I enjoy everything from humble little forest villages to dark, futuristic steel cities!

I'm curious to know what settings people enjoy the most and of course why! If I've forgot some important settings, just tell me! I think I got the most popular
ones at least. :)

(I was thinking about adding Dark and Happy/Bright as settings, but they feel like moods a bit more.)
My favorite is a bit of a mix between Fantasy and Modern Day. I'm not talking Urban Fantasy, I think, but more on the Call of Ctulhu-y side of things, or maybe some of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure parts.
That probably didn't make much sense.
I'd like to say futuristic, but futuristic RPGs tend to go for Star Trek-style far future space operas. I'd love to see more cyberpunk RPGs.

author=Ralphrius
My favorite is a bit of a mix between Fantasy and Modern Day. I'm not talking Urban Fantasy, I think, but more on the Call of Ctulhu-y side of things, or maybe some of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure parts.
That probably didn't make much sense.
I get it! Basically, "not Shadowrun", right?
Well. Probably modern day or cyberpunk.
I suppose I'm just biased due to the multitude of games I've played, but as much as I like fantasy, it's horribly boring in the vast majority of cases.
Then I hate sci-fi ..

But one thing you might've added would be historical settings. It's a bigger one, but even when mixed with others, like SMT Devil Summoner, the base world can be of a certain period and quite lively.
Or does that count as "realistic"?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I'm all for doing stuff that is done less commonly. Basically anything except medieval and generic fantasy would probably automatically interest me... well, some types of modern settings interest me, anyway. The settings of games like Persona, Shadow Hearts and Parasite Eve interest me, but Pokemon and 80% of Earthbound do not. It's the genre of the story I guess in that case. I prefer an urban or military setting to a schoolyard one, and a dangerous or mysterious setting to a peaceful one.

The "generic fantasy" option is one I like to call "era-confused fantasy" because it stems from authors not being able to decide what their setting is. They can't figure out if they want bows and arrows or guns, whether they want people to ride into battle on horses or steam-tanks, whether refrigeration exist or not. They either don't have enough writing experience to figure out how to tell their story while maintaining a single consistent setting, or don't care enough about their story to establish a setting for it in the first place. So they just kind of randomly change the world's technological level by hundreds or even thousands of years from one location to the next, based on what's convenient or seems neat for that particular scene.

This definitely pisses me off way more than any of the other setting options. In fact, this is the only one that pisses me off. Medieval fantasy might not catch my eye, it might even bore me, but it's not going to actively make me angry like era-confused fantasy does.

There are games that qualify as "generic fantasy" where that's not the case, of course. But by and large when I hear that I think of games like FF7 or World of Warcraft where you have robots, skyscrapers and gatling guns alongside of platemail-wearing swordsmen, people riding on horses (or horse-sized birds), and major towns with no electricity or running water.
robots, magic, guns, swords, ships, monsters, entire areas defined by a single geological theme - I fucking love Star Wars.
I'm with LockeZ on this one.

author=LockeZ
The "generic fantasy" option is one I like to call "era-confused fantasy" because it stems from authors not being able to decide what their setting is. They can't figure out if they want bows and arrows or guns, whether they want people to ride into battle on horses or steam-tanks, whether refrigeration exist or not. They either don't have enough writing experience to figure out how to tell their story while maintaining a single consistent setting, or don't care enough about their story to establish a setting for it in the first place. So they just kind of randomly change the world's technological level by hundreds or even thousands of years from one location to the next, based on what's convenient or seems neat for that particular scene.

^^Quoted for truth.

Edit: I guess what I'm trying to say is that the setting should be believable and be consistent. Personally for me the story is more important than the setting.
Very hard for me to say. I don't really have a setting I particularly like out of those.

Fantasy/Medieval - usually feels very generic
Western - doesn't interest me at all
Modern Day - doesn't fit well with RPGs if you ask me, it's great for horror, though
Steampunk - the genre overhype makes me not like it, but it's OK
Futuristic - depends on sub-setting, I don't like your usual sci-fi movie story, but I do like the idea of exploring unknown, inhabited planets

So out of those I guess I'd prefer Futuristic. Like Star Ocean The Last Hope.
Not like Mass Effect.

Best setting is still a unique setting that can't be categorized, though.

My favorite game settings so far are the ones in Baten Kaitos and Fragile Dreams. tri-Crescendo is just SO good in making great settings.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
I love fantasy. Magic and dragons and swords and kingdoms and crystals and powerful demons and treasures and wonder and color and-
I played Wasteland 2 yesterday so now I love postapoc again.

And cyberpunk will always be close to my heart.

But let's be honest I love all the settings. Except maybe the really really high fantasy one. With magic all over the place but no use for it other than for fighting... So yeah. Internally consistent settings I like. Or really awesome ones. Really awesome beats internally consistent. But really awesone internally consistent is the most awesome.
Definetly Fantasy. Because in a Fantasy game you can mix magic with guns and elves with robots, and still don't look like an idiot when doing it. XD
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Ilan14
in a Fantasy game you can mix magic with guns and elves with robots, and still don't look like an idiot when doing it.
No. No you can't. You definitely, definitely can't.
Now I see why there exist so many games of that genre-type.
author=LockeZ
author=Ilan14
in a Fantasy game you can mix magic with guns and elves with robots, and still don't look like an idiot when doing it.

Awwwwwww... ;_;

Altough I read your post and I see your point LockeZ, I won't stop liking "era-confused fantasy" games because of it, but I understand what you mean.
It's what the RPG genre cut its teeth on! Bring back having to become an ace so you can fly to the enemy stronghold on Venus where you explore beneath the pyramids to find ancient robots and the evil computer mastermind that you defeat with punch cards!
author=LockeZ
author=Ilan14

Final Fantasy had many themes ranging from medieval or fantasy to futuristic settings. I'd pick any option consistent with time travel and extra dimensions.

I think my absolute fave setting is this gritty, modern yet fantastic setting in games like Parasite Eve and Resident Evil. It's a common world you can relate, yet it reeks of darkness and awe in every corner. Really cool! I really want to see more games on that setting. (Third Birthday completely fucked it, though. Man, looks like Dissidia. Which, btw, doesn't seem to have a setting at all e_e)
I felt thoroughtly immersed while playing the entirety of the first two Parasite Eve games. And the first Resident Evil games as well. That should totes be more explored, and that's why I so love The Longing Ribbon, it's got a modern yet fantastic atmosphere, and <3 rpg combat <3 instead of generic survival horror annoying combat :v

Star Ocean 2's multiple planets setting also really excited me, the two worlds were very lovely to explore. As well as the moody, dense and fantastic setting for the Valkyrie Profile games - especially the first. That's such a cool world and characters to explore! :v

and...

...ETHER STRIKE!
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Since Fantasy seems to open up all of the options, I'm going for that, since even though I like a good, typical medieval setting, I also like having an interstellar spaceship crashing into a castle full of knights (yes, remembering Star Ocean: Til the End of Time).

I like "anything goes", so long as it's done in a way that's believable. Then again, I've been a Doctor Who fan since I was a little kid, so believable isn't necessarily required for my happiness either.
LockeZ
Mmm. Star Ocean 2 is a good example of a game that has all sorts of different levels of technology, yet is still more or less internally consistent. Chrono Trigger is another one. If you really want goblins, six-shooters, spaceships and platemail in the same setting, that's probably the way to do it - have different worlds/civilizations that the player encounters but that have basically no contact with each-other.

Or you can just go with the Saotome school of anything-goes martial arts fantasy, but play it for laughs. That works too. Vindication had a largely medieval/renaissance setting, but the comically inept supervillain had an orbital laser cannon, and the huge shopping center at the capital city had a parking lot even though cars weren't invented yet.
Pages: first 123 next last