OFFERING DETAILED GAME REVIEWS (BY FLAP)

Pages: first 123 next last
I'd like to offer to review some games, but I'm gonna be a little picky about which ones! I specifically want to review quality games that the creators feel need feedback, not just games that are already in the limelight. When you propose for me to review your game, please do the following:

* Describe how you want your game to feel to other people. This is super-important! If you want your game to feel action-packed or fantasy-genre or comical, tell me. If you really want the dialogue to feel professional or the magic system to feel original, say so. I'll review it with those things in mind and tell you how strongly I think the presentation matches your vision for it. The more specific you are, the more it will show me that you have a solid idea of what you want the game to be, and the more likely I am to play it.

* Only submit polished games. It doesn't have to be perfect, but if I start the game and you have major passability or spelling errors, I'll stop playing it right away and make a note on this thread saying "Your Game (canceled due to lack of polish)" or something like that.

* Don't be offended if I don't choose your game. You probably wouldn't want me to review a game that didn't interest me, so consider it a favor. Also, I simply may not have the time for your specific project.

* Let me know if you want a ranked review or just feedback (N/A rating).

* Include the length and maturity rating of the game.

* Demos are fine :-)

I hope I'm not coming across harshly. I actually enjoy a great many games, and encourage newbies to submit theirs as well. Just make sure you follow the criteria above when you submit it.

I will only start a queue of three (3) games. I've seen a lot of game review threads flounder and fail from taking on too much.

I might pm you when I choose to add your game. If you don't pm me back in 5 days, I won't add your game to the queue! Once again, I'm only interested in games from serious developers!

All that being said, let the reviews begin!

The Lineup
1: The Secrets of Kankara (by Jaden)
2: Beloved Rapture (by Blindmind)
3: Raciela (by Ultima 187)

Completed Reviews
Ace (by TheFuzziestMushroom) -- 2.5
Lyra (by Karins_soulkeeper) -- N/A
Broken Seal (by CalmOne) -- 1.5
OMNIS - The Erias Line (by Elder71) -- 4.5
Legacy Reborn (by Marrend) -- 3
Remnants of Isolation (by Red Nova) -- 3.5
Melody's Quest (by NekoBucket) -- N/A

-flap

(If you want to contribute a review in return, Farmyard Chronicle is always open for more reviews.)
unity
You're magical to me.
Huh. That link just takes me to my account page.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I'll suggest Okiku, Star Apprentice because my WILL resistance check failed, and, man, it's a BLAST of no particular reasoning.

*Edit: Oh, games that aren't in the "limelight". Hrmm... well, if demos are okay, I was looking for feedback on my current demo of Legacy Reborn? As a heads-up, I'm kinda looking to update the demo soon-ish, so if you want to wait until the update, I'd be totally okay with that.

Or do Okiku anyway?
@Unity: It did the same to me. Weird. Unity is talking about your link, Davenport, btw.

@Marrend: I'd gladly wait till you have your demo updated. No fun to get critiqued for outdated work! Can you tell me more about the game? How long is it, and all that other jazz I asked for in the OP?

@Davenport: Please give me more to work with than "Try my game." I laid out the specifics of what I'm asking for before I review very clearly. Besides, posting details about the game is promotion in and of itself!
Marrend
Sure!

Describe how you want your game to feel to other people

I believe the best way to explain it is that I want the game to feel old-school, but having at least a few modern sensibilities.

Include the length and maturity rating of the game.

I haven't play-tested the new content yet, but, I would expect a regular play to take, maybe, a half-hour to forty-five minutes? As for maturity level, I sprinkle profanity here and there, and violence is contained to the totally default combat engine. I'm pretty sure this is okay?
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
author=Davenport
I propose the following game could use some B-testing/feedback.
http://rpgmaker.net/manage_games/3456/

Your link is to the Manage Games section of your profile, not the actual game page itself. Remove this: manage_ from the URL and you're good to go. Observe:

http://rpgmaker.net/games/3456/

Here you go. This is what he was trying to show.
@Marrend: Sounds good! Just tell me when you've updated and want me to download it. But, take your time with the updated demo. I read the comments and saw that you rushed a lot of previous releases. Make sure everything is working to your liking, that way you'll be getting feedback about the feel of the game instead of just bugs. :-)

-flap
Marrend
As it happens, flapbat, I have performed the update in question!

GOGOGOGOGO!

Er, requiring the VX RTP isn't an issue, is it?
Marrend
Did an update early this morning regarding a stupid bug. Sorry about that!
Haha- no worries. I'll try to play it tonight, so you've got roughly 12 hours to make that thing mo frackin' perfect, or else! Of course, I jest.

I'm got VX Ace. Shouldn't be a problem. :-)

-flap
My game/demo:
OMNIS - THE ERIAS LINE

* Describe how you want your game to feel to other people.
I wanted to create a unique story and game world; something that players wouldn't have experienced before, something that's new and interesting while still having the spirit of a classic RPG. I want players to feel immersed, intrigued, curious (or even anxious) to know more. It's just a demo at the minute, so I've only just got started on these angles, but I'd like to think the demo is a good sample of my ideas for the project. I hope none of that sounds like hubris, I'm really just ambitious/confident/hopeful for all the work my team and I have done.

* Only submit polished games.
It went through a period of beta testing by others before release and I've since gone over it dozens of times. The current version has been downsized a bit, I've swapped out the music formats, so there may be one or two breaks (fingers crossed) but I've gone through it again myself and it seems to play fine.

I think I'd like to be brave and offer Omnis up for scoring :S - though I'd like to add, hopefully without sounding whingy and precious, that the idea of maybe getting my first rating is likely to cause me to develop a nervous heart condition.

I'd say between 2 and 3 hours - even though it's a demo, there's a fair bit extra, optional stuff to explore. Actually, it's not so much a demo as it is 'as much of the game I've been able to make in two years' :) There're several instances of pretty strong language and some fairly graphic violence, but all in moderation.

Hope you enjoy!

@Marrend: I had assumed that VX files could be opened with VXAce. That doesn't seem to be the case, right? Is it possible to upload a version that I can play without the editor? Thanks.

-flap
My Game:
Broken Seal

* Describe how you want your game to feel to other people.
Well as I made this back in 2010, this was my first game to be honest, I
have forgotten my original vision for this game. However, I now have a new
one. I want the game to be action-packed as I've drawn most of my inspiration
from anime like Dragon Ball Z. As for the characters I want them each to have
distinct personalities and be characters that people can relate to. I want the
story to be interesting, the player is placed in this setting that they
know little about, as they progress through the game the player will learn more
about the setting and the characters alike. For the gameplay I wanted
to go with something simple and easy to pick up, yet complex at the same time.
This is why I went for traditional systems instead of custom ones. I also want
to be able to support multiple types of play, some people are completionists and
others just like to rush through the game and complete the story. Due to this
I decided that player customization is an important feature for my game that
will make the experience more enjoyable for all players.

* Only submit polished games.
This game is playable I have tested it multiple times, there are no game
breaking bugs and very few grammatical errors.

I know that ranked reviews can make or break games, but sometimes a
bad review is better than no review. Not that my game is bad, lol.
I'm willing to take the risk and go for it. My goal is to make a game
that anyone can enjoy, with that in mind I want you to be as honest
a possible with your review. With your feedback I believe that will
help me achieve my goal.

The game is about 4-5 hours in length and that's just with me testing it, so I
am unsure of its true length. It can take up to 6-7 hours for the player to
complete depending on how they play the game. As for maturity, if I had to rate
the game I'd say its rated T. There is blood, violence and mature language
in this game.

Game Page: http://rpgmaker.net/games/6979/
RTP is not included I hope that isn't a problem.
Marrend
author=flapbat
@Marrend: I had assumed that VX files could be opened with VXAce. That doesn't seem to be the case, right? Is it possible to upload a version that I can play without the editor? Thanks.

-flap

"Is it possible", he asks. Of course!

*Edit, @Calm One: Your game, like my demo, is made in VX. I would presume that flapbat would also ask a RTP-inclusive download of you.
@Marrend: Thanks for the RTP! I'll probably get VX soon.

@CalmOne: Added to queue! Would you be able to provide the RTP?

@Elder71: So far I'm really enjoying OMNIS. However, about 10 minutes ago my laptop died during the optional boss behind the "do not open" door. And by died I mean it's not coming back. Won't startup. Nothing. All my notes are toast too. But, I was enjoying it so much that I'll redownload it on my PC after I finish Legacy Reborn. Shoulda listened to the clues and never opened that door...

-flap
Well, I've played and reviewed both Legacy Reborn and OMNIS. I had fun with both, but wow, OMNIS really blew my socks off. Both games have pending reviews. Thanks for suggesting them.

Legacy seems like it would be really easy to add additional story/content to. Do you plan to make more of it, Marrend?

-flap
author=flapbat
@Elder71: So far I'm really enjoying OMNIS. However, about 10 minutes ago my laptop died during the optional boss behind the "do not open" door. And by died I mean it's not coming back. Won't startup. Nothing. All my notes are toast too. But, I was enjoying it so much that I'll redownload it on my PC after I finish Legacy Reborn. Shoulda listened to the clues and never opened that door...

-flap

So far I only know of one person who's opened that door. What lead you to it? Determination to get it open? Or was it the Study Journal?
The study journal got me curious, yeah. I actually advanced the plot to the point that I couldn't go back to that door my first time, so I loaded a previous save file and got it open ;)

You'll see on my review, but I really enjoyed your game. You've made something totally unique. I don't know if it's natural talent or hard work and testing, but you've got great skills as a story-teller.

-flap
author=flapbat
The study journal got me curious, yeah. I actually advanced the plot to the point that I couldn't go back to that door my first time, so I loaded a previous save file and got it open ;)

You'll see on my review, but I really enjoyed your game. You've made something totally unique. I don't know if it's natural talent or hard work and testing, but you've got great skills as a story-teller.

-flap

I'd like to hope it was a bit of all three - though my severely arched spine and squint can confirm the hard work and many, many hours of replaying the demo over and over can attest to the thoroughness of testing... :)

EDIT: PS
I'm relieved that it ran from start to finish without crashes (or did it?) There's so much to keep track of; stupid (but easily made) mistakes are a real fear. For a long time I was stuck in a loop where I never felt like I could be sure that I'd tested everything intimately enough.
Pages: first 123 next last