SCREENSHOT SURVIVAL 20XX

Erave, that looks so fucking slick. Love it. The me u looks great too. My only comment is the pillar shadows seem to argue with the light source of the windows. That should be an easy fix.
Good catch Dookie! Just noticed that. Will try and fix it.

Another fun shot. Curtis knocks out a slime with his Judo Kick.

I'm aware of the weird shadow on the left side. Hoping to get that fixed soon!
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats

So dense! On the plus side, I finally got my big pictures to work. :D
(Yes, they all move independently of one another and at different speeds for that extra oomph.)
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Are you making an FF4 remake?
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Nope, just a war.
Those airships must be flying really close. Does the masts and sails even fit between?
Also, it it's a war, flying that close is probably not a good thing unless you want to increase the chance of getting hit.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
It may not be realistic, still It's pretty bad-ass looking. Especially if it moves (I wanna see GIF).
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
It could be that effect that makes things look closer than they are, for cinematic effect, to fill the screen with action rather than having the airships be little dots in the sky. Although, now that I think of it, having some little ships like dots in the sky could be a really cool image of LOTS of ships in the distance.
Sailerius
did someone say angels

And now for a different kind of map. Still learning to produce world maps. I'm trying a new approach where I start by building the natural features of the world before thinking about the human element, then exploring the landscape and pondering how it would be settled, where roads would be built, etc.
Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
author=Corfaisus
(Yes, they all move independently of one another and at different speeds for that extra oomph.)

I, too, have seen the opening of FF4
Even if you didn't do this intentionally you really have to change it. You can't use imagery that is so STRONGLY evocative of such an iconic, recognizable game - even if you didn't mean to, it will ruin the perception of anyone who beholds it.

Also, FF4 looks way better than 2k3 RTP
Versalia
doop double post
Corfaisus
author=Versalia
Even if you didn't do this intentionally you really have to change it. You can't use imagery that is so STRONGLY evocative of such an iconic, recognizable game - even if you didn't mean to, it will ruin the perception of anyone who beholds it.

You can't be serious. Can't have airships now, Final Fantasy did it first. Nope nope nope.

The Hindenburg blew up because the pilot knew that later there would come a JRPG that would have airships and he couldn't bear the thought of having more than one in the annals of history. There can be only one!

Oops. FF6 confirmed as least original game ever (it's Star Wars).
author=Versalia
author=Corfaisus

Also, FF4 looks way better than 2k3 RTP

...so? So what if one scene looks similar to one that was already in a game? It's like saying "Oh, Chrono Trigger had a fair at the start of the game so you can't. And your hero isn't allowed to be woken up by his mother because that's how Crono got woken up and it's a really iconic scene!" It's silly. Besides, I think a more iconic scene for 4 is when Porom and Palom got squished, or when a certain lord of the sea wrecked our faces or the antlion's nest or Rydia's home being blown to smithereens. Or, you know, riding a giant whale to the moon.

I think they actually look pretty good. Not a fan of the parallax you're using but the tiles are pretty neat. It would be better if the middle right ship was removed to allow more distance between the ships. You don't want them to crash into each other if there's any kind of strong breeze after all. That might just put paid to the actual invasion. XD
unity
You're magical to me.
Speaking as someone who loves FF4 to death, I have to agree with Liberty. Just having a fleet of airships is not enough to say "Hey, hey now, cut that out." It's kind of ridiculous to say "You HAVE to change that" for something that could pop up in any number of games. The opening of FF4 may be iconic, but it's not so sacred that anything remotely close to it needs to be changed.
it's not the airship that's the problem but the way the shot and the idea behind it are composed. just looks like a bad parody.
author=Corfaisus
http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/games/5839/screenshots/Fleet.PNGSo dense! On the plus side, I finally got my big pictures to work. :D

It shows lots of promise! I love the idea, but you should make every airship a little different, because right now, they're all identical and just okay-looking. Move the characters around a bit, maybe give one a darker tint and slightly different layout. You could even throw in a screen tint or some weather effects to really set the mood.
author=Darken
it's not the airship that's the problem but the way the shot and the idea behind it are composed. just looks like a bad parody.
How else would you suggest showing it? Side-view wouldn't work that well to show that there are more ships - maybe if it were the only one travelling. If a scene occurs on deck then this is the best view for it to be shown - top-down, like every other image from a typical RM game. It's not like you have much choice in how you portray a scene like that.

I can think of about three, tops - one includes just ships floating across the sky from a side-view but it'd be at a further angle and you wouldn't be able to see what (if anything) was going on on-deck. Another is the top-down view like this and the third is a close side-view that wouldn't show off the other ships that well. Frankly, this is the best of the options for cut-scenery.

It's far from the first RM game to use this type of scene - almost every ship scene does this (or side-view). Can you not have invading airships just because one jRPG had it too that one time or what.

I mean, I'm not gonna deny that that scene wasn't the first that jumped into my head when I saw it, but honestly, there's not a lot of ways to frame an invasion from the sky while giving an idea as to there being more ships and allowing for cutscenes.
Versalia
author=Darken

I think a different choice of angle would be stronger. If you don't want to redesign the angle, there needs to be a lot of thought put into edits anyway, not just because the shots are very evocative of each other.

And please, don't reduce my assertion that it strongly evokes FF4 to the absurdity of the Chrono Trigger fair comparison. If you used a fair in the beginning of your game, with a prominent bell in the center of the square and a blonde girl in a light blue pantsuit, THAT would be a fair comparison (and a design choice to which I would still object).

author=PepsiOtaku
It shows lots of promise! I love the idea, but you should make every airship a little different, because right now, they're all identical and just okay-looking. Move the characters around a bit, maybe give one a darker tint and slightly different layout. You could even throw in a screen tint or some weather effects to really set the mood.

This is why I want to see more from this screenshot than "oh that looks exactly like this other thing." On a purely aesthetic level, they're far too similar. They use precisely the same angle; not only is there a dark knight standing dead center on both decks, but they have strikingly similar arrangements of crew and cannon placement (and if your game looks that much like a game from 24 years ago you should push yourself to be more imaginative with it). There is a ton of artistic wiggle room and I see none of it being used.

FF4 is such a recognizable game that, even if you don't intentionally mean for there to be a lot of similarities, you have to anticipate that many people are going to recognize them if they exist. You have to adjust your designs according to not just your intentions but to audience perception. It wouldn't be the first time a major game design change was made because a character looked too similar to another game's character, and not for no reason.

This is a lot of effort to put into discussing an FF4 screenshot recreated with 2k3 RTP, but I don't care to be characterized as oversimplifying or outright refuted as wrong for completely the wrong reasons ("JUST BECAUSE THERE'S AIRSHIPS??? OH COME ON!"). All of these choices are ultimately up to the developer.

liberty
I mean, I'm not gonna deny that that scene wasn't the first that jumped into my head when I saw it, but honestly, there's not a lot of ways to frame an invasion from the sky while giving an idea as to there being more ships and allowing for cutscenes.

you guys don't limit yourselves creatively, this is patently false REACH FOR THE STARS
author=Darken

Yeah this pretty much. Nobody said "NO AIRSHIPS", it's the issue of everything pretty much looking almost the same. The only real change is that there are other ships in the background.

Frankly everybody trying to defend it by heavily misinterpreting and watering down what Versalia said is pretty sad.

Also, Pepsi has a good point. Even just varying the soldier placement on the other ships would help break up the repetition, but it would be cool to see other models of airship flying along as well. Not to mention that the ships don't really look that much like airships either, so the image of what seem to be nothing but boats just gliding around is a bit weird.