SCREENSHOT SURVIVAL 20XX

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Dude you are totally just ripping off Corfaisus's screenshot from two pages ago

If you want to be more original, you should name that dark knight character See-saw, captain of the Pizza & Wings of the nation of Red Baron

and then i think you've got a misao
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
... My God...

I think I just learned how to use those stupid sideways staircases and everything else just kind of fell into place. Is this how you're supposed to be using the ship chipset? Have I just been fucking stupid this whole time? If so, I'm going to go back through the game and redo every ship I have.

Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
author=Corfaisus
... My God...

yes excellent
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Noice. I like the height increase in the back, that looks much better than the flat ship IMO. The bottom corners of that platform are cutting off a bit of the ship's railing, which is an easily fixed minor thing.

And I would personally use the top corners of the platform a second time immediately underneath the sideways stairs. Like this:

Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
I've found that it's absolute hell trying to work with this tileset in a way that's consistent at all angles that it seems to support. This thing seriously needs a tutorial, because - according to Don Miguel's use of it in 2k - the crosshatched, wood plank doohickeys on either side of the door are supposed to be fancy-pants ship windows. Go figure!

You know how ships are practically big boots without heels because the back has been completely sheared off? Imagine trying to recreate that with these chips. It can't be done, but I'd love to see someone try. I've literally spent most of today trying.
LockeZ
Having the corners of the "box" stick out over the edge of the ship's main part looks really really odd. I don't think it would really even be segmented like that, but if you have to segment it due to the tileset sucking, try to at least figure out a way to not make the corner stick out like that. It's super weird.

Maybe this is helpful, even if only as inspiration (click on it for an enlarged view)

I also wouldn't take Don Miguel's game as the one true canon use of the RTP, necessarily.

I also wouldn't bother trying to make the ships look the same from every angle. Not worth it. It's easier to build the rest of the scene around the angle you need the ship to be. If you need to show a ship from a different angle then just make it be a different ship.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
author=JosephSeraph
corfaisus' screenie has became the next white and gold dress

WHITE AND GOLD DRESS

edit: lol mispelt
It's black and blue, tho!

I think the most disappointing thing about rpgmaker VX and beyond was the lack of a baseline ship chipset, VX was understandable due to how insistent they were on making the tileset support shit, but if you got VX ace then you're in the clear.

I actually did do a cool ship in VX Ace using Celianna's pirate tiles.

Hrrngng i thought I fixed those hammocks.

And the cabin.

One day I will make a game based around the space pirates you see here.
Versalia
author=BizarreMonkey

You should work on your composition; that "fuckin dumbasses" seems really out of place, because that's a rather stilted and composed bit of dialogue for a pirate dog. Crass it up a bit. "Y'ever hear someone say 'i juss got this new thingee here, it were a steal'? I steal it right from 'em and tell 'em 'NOW it's a steal!' Yarr harr harr"

okay don't say 'yarr harr harr' that's bad, but you get my point
author=JosephSeraph
corfaisus' screenie has became the next white and gold dress

WHITE AND GOLD DRESS

edit: lol mispelt

It's blue and gold. Like school colors.

Look at this beautiful screen, all the scenery and...

Yea, well, scenery is just fluff anyway. (And yea, I know, there's nothing in this scene, it was just what I was currently working on)

Actually, pirates would say stuff like "fuckin' dumbasses". They wouldn't however use the word words "remark" or "comprehend". Not all pirates stick to the y'arrr cliche, but most of them are not Oxford English educated either. Even if they know such words, this is too formal. It needs to sound more natural and colloquial.

When all else fails, think of the character saying it, and speak the lines.

Can someone build a mod chipset of the ship, one where the tiles are actually unscrambled? For my ship, I wound up either using near tiles (which looked horribly deformed) and later just made characters walk into a photo of a ship.

This. I had them walk into this.

I couldn't resist half doing this after seeing this.,

EDIT: Not a screenshot but a mockup. Screen resolution: 240 x 160, aka gba
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
author=Versalia
author=BizarreMonkey
You should work on your composition; that "fuckin dumbasses" seems really out of place, because that's a rather stilted and composed bit of dialogue for a pirate dog. Crass it up a bit. "Y'ever hear someone say 'i juss got this new thingee here, it were a steal'? I steal it right from 'em and tell 'em 'NOW it's a steal!' Yarr harr harr"

You could always use Post Like a Pirate.
@Bizarre: Those little glowing stone things need a lot more detail. They don't fit at all with the ship chipset. Well, the background and the face sets don't either, I suppose.
LockeZ
The glowing stone thingy is obviously a save point so I'm not sure you'd want it to blend in well.
Revamping the overworld! This area is actually an optional one, despite taking many many hours! The color range on my laptop is fading these days - how does the tile saturation measure up? xD

Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
@Joseph
Cool, love the reso (but you already know I'm big fan of small resolutions). Graphic style mildly reminds me of one game with sharks from 5th anniversary event. I like sprites too, cuz they remind me of my own work.

@Blind
I needed to put my sunglasses on to be able to look at all that beauty. Neeato! River is so lovely.
author=CashmereCat
author=Versalia
author=BizarreMonkey
Urgh. Yarr harr harr.

I'm not sure we need any Spoony Bardisms or pirate cliches.
"Fuckin dumbasses" is fine, it's plenty crass. The rest of it should sound like a peasant, since this is basically what pirates are, peasants with sea experience. Some of them are upper-crust, and have overly formal English. But the subset of pirates that would say weird things like "yarr"? Pretty much limited to people who grew up at sea and picked up odd verbal expressions from being away from normal people, and those who spent enough time alone that they developed social oddities. Realistically, most pirates wouldn't talk this way.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2007/06/did_pirates_really_say_arrrr.html

So, was there a typical pirate accent at all? Among British outlaws, yes: The onboard speech was most likely underclass British sailor with extra curse words, augmented with a polyglot slang of French, Italian, Spanish, and Dutch picked up around the trade routes.

Blindmind, I like. In terms of the saturation, it's a bit washed out. But it looks okay being a bit washed out. Overly vivid colors don't really suit an island forest anyway.

I'm trying to make status effects for common illnesses like the cold, hypothermia, breathing in dust, mold, and heatstroke. I've got the status pictures plugin, and I'm having trouble figuring out how to visually express it. Thoughts?

BizarreMonkey
author=Versalia
author=BizarreMonkey
snip

Some are like that, but I didn't want to force stereotypical pirate behaviors when they weren't even needed. Though I agree it isn't the most solid sentence in the world. Probably should change dumbasses to gobs.

Pizza
@Bizarre: Those little glowing stone things need a lot more detail. They don't fit at all with the ship chipset. Well, the background and the face sets don't either, I suppose.
You're absolutely right. menagerie is a real graphical mess, still, on Desura it was ahead of half-life and Five Nights at Freddies 2 (we were number 48 of over 3000 games) so I guess artistic coherency isn't all there is to making people want into a game.

That said I'm really enjoying being as consistent as possible now.

LockeZ
The glowing stone thingy is obviously a save point so I'm not sure you'd want it to blend in well.
You can save anytime you have control of the player character, those stones just heal you fully.

End of Stage 2 cutscene, yeee!

Had to actually use rpgmaker to animate, ugh! >:[

And here's some screenshots, as well. TWO NEW LEVELS, in fact Stage 2 is done. Now i gotta start mapping the hecticness of the Lower City.

The Lower City is indeed, where I'll be taking the kid gloves off.

Corfaisus
author=Blindmind
Revamping the overworld! This area is actually an optional one, despite taking many many hours! The color range on my laptop is fading these days - how does the tile saturation measure up? xD

As one expert mapper to another, let me just say that this area is beautiful. A few things I caught though:

1. The branches of the tree would have to bend around the cliff in order for the tree to be there. I'd suggest moving it up by a tile.

2. The left side of the plank would simply fall to the ground as it's not positioned to rest on the side of the cliff like the right side is. A simple fix.

3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10. There are missing cliff borders. 9 might actually be an extra square cliff tile where there doesn't need to be as the rest implies that the cliff continues behind the tree.

4. You should consider changing up this area of the river as it feels a bit unnatural to have three diagonal tiles places in such a way.

6. There's a weird overlap of tiles here. You need to choose which cliff face is the dominant one.

I apologize ahead of time if my eagle eye missed something.
BizarreMonkey
Well i knew i would stay happy with that image of Esperia.

Now, to give others feedback!

@Blindmind: That's a really nice map, though I'm not sure what that white thing is in the large tree right and down of the center, some kind of bird?

@Joseph: Lol, that brings me back, man those weird sand fish that could fly.
Versalia
author=bulmabriefs144
Urgh. Yarr harr harr.

I'm not sure we need any Spoony Bardisms or pirate cliches.

I like how you then riff on this for a full paragraph despite the fact that you seem to have intentionally cut off the party IMMEDIATELY after that where I pointed out you shouldn't literally say that.

Several comments act like I said 'dumbasses' doesn't fit at all. And that is not the case. Its inclusion in THAT sentence makes it read as a last-minute addition to try and make a stiff line sound more natural.

I understand not wanting to give into 'cliches' but cliches are useful. Knowing how to intentionally use and subvert tropes the audience is familiar with is a huge asset. 99% of people are going to be familiar with the "YARR HARR HARR" type of pirate, historically inaccurate as it may be, so your real world source material should have a lot less weight in your dialogue and design choices for pirates than what you know your audience is actually going to expect.

I forget the word for it, but it's the same reason why there are coconut sound effects when a horse is on screen. Their hooves do not make that sound, but the audience is so ingrained to expect it that it seems odd without.

edit: just to be ABSOLUTELY CLEAR I am not arguing for the literal inclusion of 'yarr harr harr' but I think the majority of the time, when it comes to game design, you need to play to recogniza..bil..ity more than you need to play to real world source material that most people aren't actually familiar with