WHAT DOES RPGMAKER.NET THINK OF ANIME?

But the majority of shows, their impact and their hardcore followers alienate me. It caters to an audience that tries to hide their flaws and bask in acceptance without resistance.

You know what, it's this and the seemingly omnipresent objectification of women that turns me off, I'd say. Even in the stuff that I like this is an issue- look at One Piece for Christ's sake.

I think the fandom has alienated me too. I don't want to be a part of the people that seem to flock to anime and manga, even if they aren't the majority or what have you. I used to wear a Core Drill necklace, but after it drew attention of well... Undesirable people in school, I realized that it wasn't the best decision to keep it on.

I didn't want to be associated with the type of people that would rather sit around and act like they were perpetually stuck in High School as opposed to growing up and having something real to talk about.

tl;dr I'm a jerkface BAH HUMBUG
I get you, Pizza.
The handling of women is something you must learn to ignore as best as possible.
There are countless example. Like Ubel Blatt. Great manga, but bathing-scenes, sex slaves (granted, there is a villain domina as well among the villains) and all that need to be there. All bearable.

I'd like to think that necklaces and so can be a classy way to show interest. At least later on.
I feel the same way. I've spent enough time among a few to know why.
I never intended to draw such conclusions .. but I couldn't help but notice the tendencies.

But I know enough genuinly mature and interesting people who kept their interest in the media, albeit their favorite series tend to be different, hehe.
It doesn't stop me from enjoying series, although I like to search for unique series. Or just avoid the general flood of mediocre harem, ecchi-whatever shows which you can predict from the first to the last second.

So it's a double-edged sword. But I admit that most self-proclaimed otakus are amusing.
author=Liberty
/me hugs One Piece to chest

I'm not ashamed to admit that one of my life goals is to see the end of One Piece.
Hah, nothing wrong with that; I'm a huge One Piece fan as well.

Really, it's probably one of my favorite anime of all time right now. I remember first seeing it on Toonami when it was dubbed by 4kids; I thought it was a REALLY weird ass and somewhat obnoxious show, but it grew on me for a while... then it just got kinda weird and riddled with cheesiness and I stopped after a while. Keep in mind that this was when I wasn't a teen yet and I didn't know a whole lot about Japanese animation in general.

Then I watched the sub around 2007... and saw how much better it was than what I saw on Toonami. EVERYTHING was better; the music, voices, emotion, atmosphere, everything. The plot was a hell of a lot more concise, too. I watched bits and pieces of the FUNi dub that year too, and it was certainly an improvement on what 4kids did. I went back and watched the whole thing from the beginning with subs, and then I got caught up with it, and I've been watching and keeping track of it ever since. I still love it to death to this day, and even if it takes another 10 or so years, I'll stick with it to its end as well.

As far as other anime goes...

No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular/Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dō Kangaete mo Omaer is also great; it's HILARIOUS (in the most bleak, twisted way possible, but nonetheless...) and heart-breaking at the same time. I end up feeling so bad for Tomoko at times ;___;. Welcome to the N.H.K., a similar anime, is also pretty good, and more comedy-oriented to a degree.

Another big favorite of mine is Cowboy Bebop, along with Space Dandy, Samurai Champloo, Sakamichi no Apollon/Apollo\Kids on the Slope... hell ANYTHING by Shinichiro Watanabe is essential viewing for me.

Also, Hellsing

'nough said.

...let's just say I've watched a lot of anime even though I don't seem like it.
Going to echo the One Piece sentiment: it's one of my favorites. I think that Hunter x Hunter beats it in terms of best shonen-style anime, though. I went into Hunter x Hunter thinking that it wouldn't hold a candle to One Piece, but it ended up really winning me over with the chimera ant arc. It has the same heart that One Piece has, and it's more sharply written and concise. Robin and Nami's arcs in One Piece had me crying like a baby, but so did the end of the chimera ant arc of Hunter x Hunter. And the anime kind of ended, so there's a nice resolution and zero filler.

Someone also mentioned Monster, which is probably the best psychological thriller I've ever seen. That's the one anime I try to get people who don't like anime to watch. It's fucking excellent.
Yeah, I really need to watch Monster at some point; looks fucking amazing, seriously. The main antagonist seems extremely compelling, too.
Back in the mid-90s when buying and watching every localized anime was a legitimate possibility, I used to do just that. A lot of summer job hours went into my giant VHS collection with which I, ironically, have no VHS player for anymore.

Anime is different now. The mainstream is being populated by ecchi filth, for one. Remakes galore, similar to what Hollywood does when it's creativity dries up.
And a lot of the nouveau ideas Japan comes up with nowadays just don't do it for me. Maybe I'm just getting old. My nephew was watching Naruto, and when he found out we both "liked anime", he asked me if I thought Naruto was a good show by my standards. I said my shonen anime growing up were Flame of Recca and The Guyver, and they're mostly the same. Granted, Naruto goes on and on and on, whereas FoR and Guyver followed master plans and came to conclusions sufficient endings.

Anyway,
Ultimate Survivor Kaiji

...is pretty much the only thing I look forward to anymore. Where's my Season 3, dammit?
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
author=Mr_TagoMago
I consider Code Geass my least favorite anime ever because it represents everything I think is wrong with the genre.

I'm curious about how much of the show you have seen and why you dislike it so much. It's one of the few anime I actually like.
author=arcan
author=Mr_TagoMago
I consider Code Geass my least favorite anime ever because it represents everything I think is wrong with the genre.
I'm curious about how much of the show you have seen and why you dislike it so much. It's one of the few anime I actually like.

Well for one it seemed like a crude mash up of every anime genre they could fit together in an attempt to pander to every type of otaku. Also they story was so heavily molded together by sour cliches and overused tropes plus the coincidences were not subtle in the least. I couldn't find any character to be likable they were all just so cardboard and sometimes clashed with the story. I like a story that knows not to take itself too seriously but the comic relief in this anime just felt awkward. Also the Clamp character designs looked really silly with those pointy chins. It worked for Kaiji though that was an unconventional art style all together.

author=Housekeeping
Going to echo the One Piece sentiment: it's one of my favorites. I think that Hunter x Hunter beats it in terms of best shonen-style anime, though. I went into Hunter x Hunter thinking that it wouldn't hold a candle to One Piece, but it ended up really winning me over with the chimera ant arc. It has the same heart that One Piece has, and it's more sharply written and concise. Robin and Nami's arcs in One Piece had me crying like a baby, but so did the end of the chimera ant arc of Hunter x Hunter. And the anime kind of ended, so there's a nice resolution and zero filler.

Someone also mentioned Monster, which is probably the best psychological thriller I've ever seen. That's the one anime I try to get people who don't like anime to watch. It's fucking excellent.
Yeah Monsters excellent it has a more subtle style of story telling and even though a lot of people complain about the pacing I had no issue with it of course its been a long time.

author=Housekeeping

I'd say Hunter X Hunter is the best battle shounen ever though the 1999 series did its area better I love that we got a new one which continued the series farther. It would probably be more popular if the mangaka wasn't so inconsistent with his art in the manga and wasn't like the Berserk mangaka and takes long hiatuses to play Dragon Quest lol. That lack off filler was largely do to so much of the manga having been finished. DBZ was full of filler because the anime was aired along side the manga.

I'm a manga person so if I'm gonna watch an anime, it's mostly psychological (something about the genre doesn't scream "fillers" to me, plus it's fun to get mindfucked). Death Note, Psycho-Pass, Mirai Nikki, Terra Formars, Parasyte...

Also I adore action. Inner fan-boy in me screamed when I saw the fighting scenes in Legend of Korra (though that's not an anime, obviously). I loved Air Gear even with the EXCESSIVE fanservice (loved the "battles" so much I'm willing to overlook it!) Naruto was ok before the rescue-Sasuke-arc, and at least it had awesome music (chunen exam where they cheated in the written test was probably the best thing ever).

Ao no Exorcist was fun, and Full Metal Alchemist is the best thing ever (eff Brotherhood!!) Jojo's Bizarre Adventure was... welp, the action was over-the-top, but the ending theme is fucking awesome. Also, Watamote. LOL.

I've heard a lot of people either praise Code Geass or think it's overhyped. I'm not planning on watching it soon though - the art style doesn't interest me. And Ergo Proxy... ugh, boy was I glad to finish watching THAT. I finally understand why everyone says it's the "most pretentious" anime ever haha.
author=ivoryjones
Terra Formars

You caught up on that? I watched up to like ep 7, where the girl gets pulled into the water at the end. So, you know, right at the point where you realize shit is going to get crazy an you get a little taste :D I'm holding out in the hopes of finding uncen eps. I don't see any torrents that say uncen. I want to watch it so bad :<
I actually like Code Geass. Yeah, it's a trope upon a trope, but it does deliver quite well. I'm not really that critical of the art style, but you have to admit that the anime was pretty, in it's own way.

D-Gray man: despite being slow on development and rife with fillers, the series at a whole, was entertaining. Must have something to do with it's 19th century setting, or the fact that there is virtually no fanservice present.

Shakugan no Shana must be the first anime I watched to full length (unless you count DragonBall(Z/GT)). It is slightly cliche, but I loved it anyway. It's something like a cross between slice-of-life and supernatural(ish) action, so expectedly there will be katanas, a high school, explosions, and a pool/beach scene (which seem to be a prerequisite for animes). The story was simple, but pretty intricate. The characters are well-developed (or most of them, at least), and the plot is continuously in motion.

I've said this a while ago, but I'll just put it here again: Chobits. This cute, fanservice-y, light-hearted series took me off my feet unexpectedly. It starts off like your usual slice-of-life stuff, but gradually gets darker as the story progresses. It started dealing on issues of emotion, intuition, and human replaceability. It was short, so there was little room for character development. Nonetheless, none of the characters felt like ceremonial add-ons and were given enough presence and significance.

Then there's Azumanga Daioh, Lucky Star, WataMote, Nichijou, and Toradora. I'd watch these shows anytime of the day, and I won't feel robbed of my time.

I liked Full-Metal Alchemist, Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece; I dropped off, though, after they all started to bloat and become a bit overbearing. But this is coming from the guy who thinks KxS had a nice story, so...
author=karins_soulkeeper
I actually like Code Geass. Yeah, it's a trope upon a trope, but it does deliver quite well. I'm not really that critical of the art style, but you have to admit that the anime was pretty, in it's own way.

D-Gray man: despite being slow on development and rife with fillers, the series at a whole, was entertaining. Must have something to do with it's 19th century setting, or the fact that there is virtually no fanservice present.

Shakugan no Shana must be the first anime I watched to full length (unless you count DragonBall(Z/GT)). It is slightly cliche, but I loved it anyway. It's something like a cross between slice-of-life and supernatural(ish) action, so expectedly there will be katanas, a high school, explosions, and a pool/beach scene (which seem to be a prerequisite for animes). The story was simple, but pretty intricate. The characters are well-developed (or most of them, at least), and the plot is continuously in motion.

I've said this a while ago, but I'll just put it here again: Chobits. This cute, fanservice-y, light-hearted series took me off my feet unexpectedly. It starts off like your usual slice-of-life stuff, but gradually gets darker as the story progresses. It started dealing on issues of emotion, intuition, and human replaceability. It was short, so there was little room for character development. Nonetheless, none of the characters felt like ceremonial add-ons and were given enough presence and significance.

Then there's Azumanga Daioh, Lucky Star, WataMote, Nichijou, and Toradora. I'd watch these shows anytime of the day, and I won't feel robbed of my time.

I liked Full-Metal Alchemist, Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece; I dropped off, though, after they all started to bloat and become a bit overbearing. But this is coming from the guy who thinks KxS had a nice story, so...

I didn't think the art in Code Geass was pretty at all actually it looked like they were designed by ametuers. As far as the constant tropes go they just felt forced and seriously the first time I start getting into it and wondering how Lelouche is going to get out of this situation they pull a deus ex machina and that green haired chick saves his ass. That really kicked my balls.
author=ivoryjones
I'm a manga person so if I'm gonna watch an anime, it's mostly psychological (something about the genre doesn't scream "fillers" to me, plus it's fun to get mindfucked). Death Note, Psycho-Pass, Mirai Nikki, Terra Formars, Parasyte...

Also I adore action. Inner fan-boy in me screamed when I saw the fighting scenes in Legend of Korra (though that's not an anime, obviously). I loved Air Gear even with the EXCESSIVE fanservice (loved the "battles" so much I'm willing to overlook it!) Naruto was ok before the rescue-Sasuke-arc, and at least it had awesome music (chunen exam where they cheated in the written test was probably the best thing ever).

Ao no Exorcist was fun, and Full Metal Alchemist is the best thing ever (eff Brotherhood!!) Jojo's Bizarre Adventure was... welp, the action was over-the-top, but the ending theme is fucking awesome. Also, Watamote. LOL.

I've heard a lot of people either praise Code Geass or think it's overhyped. I'm not planning on watching it soon though - the art style doesn't interest me. And Ergo Proxy... ugh, boy was I glad to finish watching THAT. I finally understand why everyone says it's the "most pretentious" anime ever haha.
Jojo is a better manga and if you want a good psychological anime watch Kaiba. I didn't just think Code Geass was just over hyped but absolute pain if you have a brain at all. It wasn't unstable like Pupa or Mars of destruction but it was somehow harder to watch and less charming. Watch Legend of the Galactic heroes instead.
Tago, please do not double post. Instead, edit your previous comment and add more to it. These forums are set up so that you can quote more than once per post and it works out well. It's against site rules to multipost, so please remember that.

If you want to reply to someone you can also do this -
@personname
and bold it so that it stands out. Otherwise topics get cluttered up and look bad. Thanks.

Anyone else watched King of Thorn? It's pretty good psychological anime with action and suspense. Well worth the watch.
On a side note, if anyone wants to know what anime I have watched, here's a list of mine: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/eplipswich (yep, I keep track of anime I've watched o_o)

And someone mentioned Psycho-Pass. Heh, I loved the 1st season, but the 2nd season is just downright disappointing. I hope the movie will make up for the disappointment.
author=Liberty
Tago, please do not double post. Instead, edit your previous comment and add more to it. These forums are set up so that you can quote more than once per post and it works out well. It's against site rules to multipost, so please remember that.

If you want to reply to someone you can also do this -
@personname
and bold it so that it stands out. Otherwise topics get cluttered up and look bad. Thanks.
Anyone else watched King of Thorn? It's pretty good psychological anime with action and suspense. Well worth the watch.

OK seriously I keep meaning not to but I keep messing up honestly its not intentional.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Ahhh, you liked Scrapped Princess, Liberty? I don't know anyone else who even knew about it! I loved that show :D

Anyway, I like a lot of different stuff - recently I've been watching stuff on Netflix. I was a huge fan of Kill La Kill and all of its over-the-top action and characters, its fantastic soundtrack, and its total lack of filler - awful fanservice notwithstanding. I liked Psycho-Pass and its strange dystopia a lot, as well.

An old favorite I started rewatching recently is Serial Experiments Lain. It's just so strange and surreal - it has dark sci-fi and horror elements and beautifully unnerving art, sound, and pacing. It reminds me a little bit of Yume Nikki, if it were an anime. It does come across as a little dated now, but it's short and just unique... and it's just so pretty:

author=slashphoenix
Ahhh, you liked Scrapped Princess, Liberty? I don't know anyone else who even knew about it! I loved that show :D

Anyway, I like a lot of different stuff - recently I've been watching stuff on Netflix. I was a huge fan of Kill La Kill and all of its over-the-top action and characters, its fantastic soundtrack, and its total lack of filler - awful fanservice notwithstanding. I liked Psycho-Pass and its strange dystopia a lot, as well.

An old favorite I started rewatching recently is Serial Experiments Lain. It's just so strange and surreal - it has dark sci-fi and horror elements and beautifully unnerving art, sound, and pacing. It reminds me a little bit of Yume Nikki, if it were an anime. It does come across as a little dated now, but it's short and just unique... and it's just so pretty:

I liked Kill LA kill because it took so much influence from Go nagai though no where near as gory or exploitive.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
I can't stand Anime, except for Hayao Miyazaki films, Attack on Titan & Black Lagoon. I guess Dragonball Z for nostalgic purposes.

But other than those I listed off, I just don't get it.
author=Tau
I can't stand Anime, except for Hayao Miyazaki films, Attack on Titan & Black Lagoon. I guess Dragonball Z for nostalgic purposes.

But other than those I listed off, I just don't get it.

Maybe because you've only seen the poor stuff? I don't even consider Attack on Titan and Black Lagoon as quality stuff.