[RMVX ACE] A LOT OF THE RECENT PROJECTS LACK A RVPROJ2 FILE (.RVPROJ2), WHY IS THIS?

Pages: first 123 next last
First of all, I apologize if this comes off as rude or creepy, it's not my intention. I'm just a bit on edge due to having the worlds biggest black eye right now, am having a hard time focusing my thoughts. And on top of that, my words were formed a lot better last time, but the site ate my topic, and there was a notice of it so I doubt that it was deleted.

Anyways, why is it that most projects put on here lately lack that file? As I tried to say before, I'm someone who will often open the editor if I'm completely stumped on what I need to do to next. And again, placing that file in the games folder doesn't work either.

Is there anything that I can do? Please, help me if you can.
I moved your topic to the Help section where it belongs. You can find your topics under your name, if you lose them. Click on your name in the top black bar, then look at the right side. There's a list. At the bottom is Topics and it will show a list of all the topics you've created.

Now, as I already said in your previous topic, those games are more than likely locked against interference. Thus they are missing the files that allow them to be opened in the engine. Unfortunately, while there are ways to get around it, you won't find the answers in this topic because respecting the right of the creator to lock their project is something we try to support.

You could send a message to the creator of the game in question and ask them if they'd mind sending you a copy without the lock (though it's not likely to happen since they're locked for good reason a lot of the time - to prevent theft of graphics and scripts).

Or just asking them what to do next. That's part of the reason that game pages exist - so that developers and players have an easier time of getting in touch with each other. It's the easiest way. Unfortunately, sometimes the creators are a bit slow to reply or have abandonned ship, as it were. You could ask in the help forum in that case, but just remember to detail that you've asked and waited for a reply for a while (two weeks is a good time. Yeah, I know, kinda long, but people have lives outside of RM). People who have played the game before might be able to help.

You could also ask after a certain graphic or script if that's what you're looking for (they can refuse though. You could always check out their credits for a list of where they got them if that's your fancy.)

You could also ask them to link you to a tutorial on how to do a certain eventing feature that interested you. They might help, they might not.
unity
You're magical to me.
Yeah, it has nothing to do with how new the projects are. It's caused by choosing "create encrypted archive" when you compile the game.

It can be done for a variety of reasons. Some purchased resources, for example, ask that you do this so that the resources don't become freely available.

Like Liberty said, contacting the creator is the best course of action if you're stumped on their game or want to know about resources, scripts, etc they use.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I do generally hope that if someone IS going to lock a project, they make absolutely sure it's not broken first. There are few things more annoying in the RM sphere than getting stuck in a game due to a problem I could easily fix myself in the editor, and being unable to fix it.

My stance on locking projects has wavered a lot over the years. Nowadays, generally speaking I'm not going to condemn anyone for locking their projects anymore but I will still applaud people who don't. Sharing is awesome.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
I never lock my projects, however I DO take out the Game.rvproj file. You can put in literally any copy of a .rvproj file and it will open up the game. I just take it out because having two files named "Game" is pretty confusing for non-RM*ers.

I understand why people lock their projects, sorta. I think it's pretty silly, personally, but I'm not going to rail against it. I think that RM* should be all about sharing and working with other developers and poking around to see how they did things! And, really, if somebody's going to steal your graphics or whatever, that's going to be pretty damn obvious when you can see those graphics present.
Yeah, I tend to leave all my projects unencrypted as well. Nothing more annoying than having to reupload an entire 200+mb game because of a couple of ( game-breaking ) bugs whereas you can just make a simple 2-5mb patch file for it.

So yes. I'm with Craze and Max. Sharing is caring. 'Course, you are going to get a couple of unscrupulous fellas who will try and steal your work...
unity
You're magical to me.
Speaking of, if you do buy resources from rpgmakerweb or someplace (like even from this site XD) and you use them in your game, do you have to encrypt the project?
Max McGee
I don't see any way of enforcing that and it would be kind of a dick rule. That said I think I did encrypt Lionheart primarily out of courtesy to the people selling the High Fantasy resources, not wanting to just give away all of them for free.

But I don't believe any such clause was in the end user license or anything (not that anybody reads those). And now that I've got so many 'bought' resources and I'm gonna be making so many games with them, I'm almost certainly going to slip up and give some away for free with one of my games one of these days.
It's basically a case of common decency. The creators of those packs don't get paid on commission. They only get paid when there are sales made of them, so allowing people to just take them from projects means that those people lose a sale - and those sales are important for their livelihood. As a community we should endeavour to protect each other from unscrupulous assholes. Just as we protect each others' games from being stolen by others, we should protect the scripters, artists and musicians among us who create wonderful works for us to use.

Now, if you commissioned your own works it's up to you whether you choose to leave your project open or not, but if you're using someone else's paid-for works, then I highly recommend you lock your project - on their behalf.

Just make sure to double, triple, and quadruple check for bugs and check your game pages often for bug reports. Or find a way to lock the folders themselves while still allowing the program to access the used files, so that people can edit as they want.
author=Liberty
I moved your topic to the Help section where it belongs. You can find your topics under your name, if you lose them. Click on your name in the top black bar, then look at the right side. There's a list. At the bottom is Topics and it will show a list of all the topics you've created.

Now, as I already said in your previous topic, those games are more than likely locked against interference. Thus they are missing the files that allow them to be opened in the engine. Unfortunately, while there are ways to get around it, you won't find the answers in this topic because respecting the right of the creator to lock their project is something we try to support.

You could send a message to the creator of the game in question and ask them if they'd mind sending you a copy without the lock (though it's not likely to happen since they're locked for good reason a lot of the time - to prevent theft of graphics and scripts).

Or just asking them what to do next. That's part of the reason that game pages exist - so that developers and players have an easier time of getting in touch with each other. It's the easiest way. Unfortunately, sometimes the creators are a bit slow to reply or have abandonned ship, as it were. You could ask in the help forum in that case, but just remember to detail that you've asked and waited for a reply for a while (two weeks is a good time. Yeah, I know, kinda long, but people have lives outside of RM). People who have played the game before might be able to help.

You could also ask after a certain graphic or script if that's what you're looking for (they can refuse though. You could always check out their credits for a list of where they got them if that's your fancy.)

You could also ask them to link you to a tutorial on how to do a certain eventing feature that interested you. They might help, they might not.

First of all, thanks for the heads up. Still confused why I wasn't told that it was moved though.

And yeah, the problem wish asking for help is that you have to hope that the creator is still on this site, and checks his pms and posts on his game, and sadly, from what I've seen, a LOT of designers seem to completely disappear from this site months after they complete a project, so i feel kinda screwed.
You aren't notified of a move of topic. We never delete topics. We will either lock them (they'll either stay where they were or be moved to the Archives in that case) or be moved to a new area.

If your topic vanishes one day, check out your Topic list and it should direct you to the new one.

The only time we remove the body of a topic is when it's spam, so don't worry about that. Also, if you click on 'Community' you'll find a more comprehensive form of the forums where New Topics are listed at the side (as well as latest posts and status posts). If you lose your topic not long after it was made, it should still show up in New Topics. Click on it and then read where in the forums it can be found (Forums::Game Discussion & Development for this one) at the top and bottom of the page. If it's not there it has been locked for some reason. As long as it abides by site rules it shouldn't get locked without warning, though.
Craze
See, yeah, I've bought a ton of musical and graphical packs. I know they work on commission. I also know that people steal; I work with teenage criminals. However, I'm far more interested in people being able to check out my code than worrying that some asshole will take the paid graphics out.

And if I actually commissioned graphics for my own personal use? It'd be pretty damn obvious if somebody else nabbed them. I still wouldn't lock it up.

There will always be assholes (see vid below), but I meet cool people over them asking questions about my games' guts and codes.

I mean, my friend LouisCyphre is making a game with the RMDS graphics. If somebody had another game with graphic files named exactly what they are in his game, I'd probably email them a bitch-slap. It's hard to police, but I'd like to think that we can be a community with integrity.

Maybe in the future I'll use a way to lock just graphics folders, but I know I like listening to game soundtracks so I see no reason not to leave those open... especially if I keep using weird final boss themes.
unity
You're magical to me.
I think you have the right attitude, Craze! Alright, I won't worry about needing to encrypt my files from now on, then. That makes a lot of sense.
Well, oddly enough, Audio doesn't get locked for some reason (though it should). And I agree that there's nothing more annoying than not being able to progress in a game due to a niggly bug that can be fixed in .01 seconds. That said, if people feel the need to protect their assets or it's part of the condition of use of resources, I'm not going to make them feel like they're assholes for doing so.

Frankly, I support the right for people to keep resources to themselves. That's what credits are for - so that people who want the resources can find them by checking out where they came from.

That said, I wonder if the next RM will take something like this into consideration and lock just the resource folders without actually locking up the project. It'd probably fix this issue so that people can protect their assets but still allow for others to edit if necessary.
unity
You're magical to me.
The whole topic has been something I've been on the fence about when it comes to Luxaren Allure (to encrypt or not to encrypt, I mean) but it's not just because of resources. I also have images that are spoilers to look at, so I don't want people to just go through the graphics folder willy-nilly.

I'm leaning toward just leaving it unencrpyted on the next update and just not worrying about it. I'm still a little uneasy about it, but it seems like it's the best choice for me.
Max McGee
The unmentioned truth here is that...thieving assholes that REALLY want to steal stuff are going to find a way no matter how you secure your project. That's just the nature of the internet.

That's not an argument for or against encryption, it's just a fact.
You have to protect materials you bought though based on the EULA included in the resource packs? Even fonts have this rule which makes...using commercial fonts pretty hard. I do know that you can encrypt graphics and just hide them somewhere in the script editor, and still make your code open for everyone if you want the sharing.
Craze
There's nothing in the EULAs stating such a thing, for either audio or graphics. I just checked several.
nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
Also how would that work for some of the older engines which didn't have an encryption option?
author=Craze
There's nothing in the EULAs stating such a thing, for either audio or graphics. I just checked several.

Isn't it this one?
2.1 Your game must include additional documentation that clearly indicates the use of the Resource Pack and the following copy:
2.2 Solely used for the creation of your game, you can edit, process, and modify the materials contained in the Resource Pack.
2.3 Do not sell, distribute, lease, or transfer the Resource Pack itself (even if the materials were edited, process, or modified by the User).

By not encrypting, you're distributing the game resources.
Pages: first 123 next last