[RMVX ACE] VE VISUAL EQUIPS NOT WORKING

Pages: 1
I'm even a little afraid to ask, since usually questions about the Victor Engine follow a similar pattern. Right now I'm attempting to implement Visual Equips to create visual weapons. As far as I can tell it should be an easy process, create the weapon sprite, import it in to the character folder, and drop a notetag in the weapon comment box going like so:

<visual part>
id: x
name: x
priority: x
</visual part>

At least that's what the instructions say! As usual, I know there's something I'm missing, whether it's improperly explained or I'm just dumb is anyone's guess. I'm not quite certain what the ID should be, since it says 'actor or event ID', tried lots of different possibilities but none seem to work. What I'm trying to do is pretty easy, essentially just replacing the icon used in the default attack with a custom weapon. I have pretty good momentum right now, and though there's lots of other things I could be doing on my project, this one is killing me! If anyone has any suggestions on how to get this functioning, it's incredibly appreciated.
The ID is the number in the database given to a specific item, actor, etc. So, the first hero in your database has the ID of 1. The second is 2... so on and so forth. Basically it's the number next to their slot in the database.

For example, by default the ID of the state, Confusion, is 5. It's simple when you realise that.

So, asking the actor ID is simply asking for the number of the character in the database. As for event... not sure. It could be the number assigned to events (if you click on an event in event layer, at the bottom right of the engine is some information about it, including it's number and the name given to it).

Hope that helps at all.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
author=nemojbatkastle
I'm even a little afraid to ask, since usually questions about the Victor Engine follow a similar pattern.

Victor Engine scripts provide great and extremely impressive functionality but unfortunately it's tied to some of the worst and most half-assed documentation I've ever seen paired with literally the most caustic and abrasive user-relations I have ever seen. So basically if I can't figure it out myself then I am literally afraid to ask for help haha. I guess I have a little experience figuring out a few VE scripts on my own.

I guess can you be more specific and also paste in the entire script you're using. Use code tags. I'm not great with script stuff but if it's a simple mistake that's causing things to cock up I might be able to help.
Such nice people! I Makerscore Liberty & Max McGee the power of hugs.

Yeah, I always feel like with the Victor Engine I'm being presented with some kind of genius puzzle I'm not smart enough to unravel, and somewhere the entire internet is laughing at me. I suspect I'm doing something stupid like putting the the sprite in the wrong folder, or not naming the file properly with some fiddly prefix. Who knows? Obviously what would be nice to see is an example of how someone else got their Visual Equips to work, but then usually I have to put the laptop and take a walk or something after reading through some of the forums.

I think what I might try is just making sprites of all the battlers with their equipped weapons, but I'm sure that will fail for some reason. My other plan involved abandoning the side battle system (so often dreamed of, so rarely achieved) altogether. I would have done that, switching out my FF3 monsters for the ones in the Saga game, but then this happened, so I'm not going to do that then. Oh well.
Pages: 1