LOOKING FOR TIPS TO MAKE A HORROR GAME THAT DOESN'T SUCK

Pages: first prev 123 next last
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=suzy_cheesedreams
Even recolouring the RTP with dark gloomy colours will be an improvement over the original in the context of a horror game. The RTP just does not translate into horror. And editing the RTP yourself means you don't have to pay anyone to make your graphics (if that's problematic).

Open RTP in graphics program (GIMP is free and reasonably simple)
Adjust the saturation lower
Boom, you've helped remove a chunk of the problem.

(If someone has a problem with the cute figures in general, it's probably a lost cause, because there's only so much you can do with the engine.)
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Sooz
author=suzy_cheesedreams
Even recolouring the RTP with dark gloomy colours will be an improvement over the original in the context of a horror game. The RTP just does not translate into horror. And editing the RTP yourself means you don't have to pay anyone to make your graphics (if that's problematic).

(If someone has a problem with the cute figures in general, it's probably a lost cause, because there's only so much you can do with the engine.)

If you want to use something other than the chibi VX/Ace sprites, I find XP sprites work great!
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
i want to emphasize that graphics can be a huge pain but rtp is not the style that will help you out in a horror game. It's very cutesy and bright and colorful and that's tough to work with. the dreamer in me wants to say that it's possible, but idk man I'd figure something else out for graphics. You could try for something more abstract, try to dig up available free-for-use resources, sink all your lunch money into commissions, take a a text-based approach... there's options that don't involve cute chibis covered in red pixels.

the longing ribbon is widely considered the best horror game made in RM and uses mostly RTP graphics.
I have reached a conclusion, the horror genre is too complex for me...

I mean, I almost finished the game but when I look at it... is kinda goofy and not scary on the slightest (Maybe weird, but not scary)

I will finish the game and upload the game to RMN but don't expect too much

But hey, thanks for all your tips! It was an interesting experience and maybe in the future I will try it again
Don't be too disheartened, El_Waka. You gotta start somewhere.

Horror is no more complex than any other game genre; you just have to know what parts typically go where, what your audience's expectations will be, et cetera.

e: @Sooz I tend to take the most roundabout route in... just about everything. I always forget there are programs that make editing much easier ^_^;

Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=suzy_cheesedreams
Don't be too disheartened, El_Waka. You gotta start somewhere.

Horror is no more complex than any other game genre; you just have to know what parts typically go where, what your audience's expectations will be, et cetera.

A lot of it is just consuming a heap of the genre and figuring out what works, what doesn't, and why. (And also consuming a ton of other genres because they might have something adaptable!)

Like, leaving aside jump scares, it's actually pretty clear why Slender and FNaF are so popular, because both of them work REALLY well with tension, which is vitally important in horror. (This is especially evident comparing them to less masterful, similarly-made games.)

Any game with a narrative will be pretty complicated from the start, because it's all about tricking the audience into going along with you, so you have to account for a lot of different factors. (Particularly in games, where the mechanics and the narrative should complement one another.)

It ends up being easier as you go and start internalizing lessons. :)

e: @Sooz I tend to take the most roundabout route in... just about everything. I always forget there are programs that make editing much easier ^_^;

Well, that's the quick-n-dirty method for "I don't know shit about graphics but I know RTP is too cheerful and I need to fix it myself." I'd personally do my own designs, but I'm a dumb nerd about these things. :V
I for a second thought someone else had written my exact post, but remembered I just changed my avatar to an even stupider picture.

Anyway. Thanks for expanding on my post Sooz, my "et cetera" blanketed a lot of other important gam mak factors.

I prefer making my own graphics too, but that tip would be helpful to anybody convinced they can't make graphics/should stick with vanilla RTP.
Sooz
Your new av is awesome and I will not hear a word against it!
Thaaaanks :D

I was watching the Murder She Wrote ep that image is from a couple of hours ago and it was easily the best episode of that show I've ever seen. Maybe of any show. The VR game looked like Night Trap. Kevin Sorbo was in it, so was Mickey from Seinfeld. Outstanding.
author=Sooz
author=suzy_cheesedreams

You could also experiment with sepia or greyscale filters. Or even reducing the brightness.

Drama rules: comedy high lighting, horror/drama low light. Also, green tinting. Trust me on this. It makes characters appear grotesque and brings out their worst side.

Also. Watch The Burbs with Tom Hanks. It's a horror comedy, but it gives you a good tutorial on how to flesh out either.
Sooz
Well, as an occasional numbers station enthusiast, I had to try it out!

There really isn't a lot to it; it's something that I think you COULD make into a full game, in concept, but as is there's not much reason to play beyond curiosity or, if you are me, the joy of the soundtrack. (You put in my favorite station! :D Hooray!)

I kind of liked the exploration elements, though it seemed a bit blah and, in a few cases, a little too long. If there were any kind of attention to tension building, some of the long hallways might be good, but the part with the automatically changing paths was a little tedious to get through.

Overall, it's kind of like a more focused knockoff of Yume Nikki: you don't really know who this Harry Mason looking motherfucker is, or what he's doing there, or any kind of goal, but you're along for the ride. It doesn't quite manage horror per se- at no point did I feel any sort of tension or uneasiness*- but it seems like something you could build on and polish into an actual thing, were you so inclined. It's definitely unfinished, but it's got some nice beginnings of ideas.

* NB: I have a weird threshold for the latter, so this might not apply to normal people.
Yeah, even I feel like this would be good with more polishing, but I don't know what exactly I can change to make it better

Maybe make the automatically changing paths more short, I don't know...
Sooz
For one, I think it'd help to figure out what you're going for. If it's just exploration, then spiffing up the maps would be a good start. If it's tension or creepiness, then I'd recommend adding an "enemy" element and limiting visibility to start off with.

Then, once you've decided where you're going, take a break and play a shitload of games that have done (or tried to do) that thing, and think about what does and doesn't work. (I personally like watching Let's Plays for this, since you're slightly more objective when you're not in the thick of things, and you can get an idea of how people who aren't you react to bits. Not that you shouldn't also play for yourself!)

It'll be a back-and-forth process: gam mak, gam try, get inspired, gam mak, gam try, etc. It's all about figuring out what you feel works or doesn't work.

I'd also recommend having other people try out what you have- especially if you can get someone IRL to play in front of you, so you can watch them react. Playtesting is where you'll really get an idea of what audiences are into and what needs fixing.

Good luck! :D
Find DIFFERENT ways to scare your players. They don't always have to be JUMPscares. For example, in a title I'm working on, one of the scarier moments is when a skull pops out from the cieling from nowhere, making a loud crashing sound, and when the shadows move in a dark room.

A good horror RPGmaker game should have a good story. Not just try to scare the chonies off your players. Throw in some funny and/or lighthearted moments to make the player feel at ease. This is a good tool to throw them off guard when you do decide to scare them again.
I like the screenshots!
Also, recoloring the RTP as one poster already mentioned is an easy but effective thing to do. :)

Just my two cents.
Sooz
author=Oceaniqo
Find DIFFERENT ways to scare your players. They don't always have to be JUMPscares. For example, in a title I'm working on, one of the scarier moments is when a skull pops out from the cieling from nowhere, making a loud crashing sound, and when the shadows move in a dark room.

...the "jump" in "jumpscare" doesn't refer to something literally jumping. You just described a garden variety jumpscare.

The problem with jumpscares is that they tend to be low-level and easy "scares." They don't provide an enduring feeling of horror, just a brief bust of adrenaline. This is OK if it's used as an ending piece (as in FNaF and Slender) as it offers a release in tension built up over a period. However, it shouldn't be your main source of scares, since it gets repetitive and annoying, both of which actively work against any sort of tension or fear.

Jumpscares are like candy: one or two can be enjoyable, but if that's all you're offering, your audience is going to be unsatisfied unless they're like six years old.
Isn't there a Tint Screen command in the new makers? Why go through the trouble of recoloring assets when a simple event command can alter the whole screen?
Sooz
Better control over the results, IMO.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Excuse me I would be totally satisfied with eating nothing but candy ever again
Clearly you have never eaten a perfect steak.
Pages: first prev 123 next last