GAMERGATE TARGET ZOE QUINN LAUNCHES ANTI-HARASSMENT SUPPORT NETWORK

Pages: first 123456 next last
It's called Crash Override, and it is such a good idea. I hope it takes off!

http://www.crashoverridenetwork.com/

http://www.wired.com/2015/01/gamergate-anti-harassment-network/

The article can describe it much better than I can: "a task force devoted to helping targets of online harassment."

"Our private network of agents is on-call to assist and support victims of online harassment, speaking from their own experience as survivors and professionals in their areas of expertise on social issues and internet logistics."

And it's not just technical or practical support either - they provide emotional support, and that is as important.

I would encourage you, if you have been (or fear being) a target of online harassment, please check it out.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Huh, that's a neat idea. I hope it's successful! It's getting pretty easy to break down the anonymous barriers of the internet and that can be scary as hell.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I think it's hilarious (in a sickening kind of way) that she has gone from professional victim to now actively profiting off of people's misery. Zoe Quinn is an absolutely loathsome person, and keeps finding new lows I didn't even know human beings were capable of. The "combating online hate" slogan is hilarious in a sickening kind of way, as though the SJW side of things had not also been a font of awful, wretched, hateful speech and behavior.

It is actually really ironic how all of the attempts to shame and harass and threaten her online have basically provided the bitch with a lucrative new business. Unbelievable.

If there is any indication it is not-for-profit please post a source and I will redact or edit part of this comment due to factual error. But all of the language I can see on their website and elsewhere seems to indicate at a glance that they intend to draw a profit from this.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
Max McGee, has it ever occured to you that your manner of speaking and rather extreme self-positioning has no effect except for harming your own credibility? Please, for once, do try not to turn this thread into a flamewar, and stay constructive and controlled for a change. The only result of this kind of arguing is stress for everyone involved.
Peace.
Yeah! Fuck her for having the moxie to no wither and die from the onslaught of harassment!

Seriously bro, check your mindset. It's not befitting you.

"We are a small group of people working out of pocket and we’re not asking for funding right now, which may or may not change down the line based on our needs, so we can’t take every single case."

Max McGee
author=NeverSilent
Max McGee, has it ever occured to you that your manner of speaking and rather extreme self-positioning has no effect except for harming your own credibility

It has certainly occurred to me that that could be one possible consequence, and it concerns me greatly. However...anyone whose opinion is worth caring about on any topic I care to acknowledge as valid will conclude more about my credibility from the games I have made (and the makerscore earned thereby) than by "self-positioning" on what might (rightly) be dismissed as "politics".

author=NeverSilent
Please, for once, do try not to turn this thread into a flamewar, and stay constructive and controlled for a change.

I am not flaming anyone on this site. I don't know what "constructive" means in this context but I don't think being "constructive" in any context requires me to think that Zoe Quinn is a good person (I don't), approve of her activities, or requires me not to question whether Crash Override makes a profit off of its "clients" which is what the website calls them. Which is certainly the central question I have starting out. Is Crash Override a for profit business?

You have mentioned "self-positioning" which is an interesting phrase so let me take a moment to actually position myself re: this issue.

See there is a rather extreme problem in the mainstream population of the internet and the world and basically that has to do with the unequal distribution of PR. SJWs have great PR and the putative "#GamerGate" could not PR its way out of a wet fucking paper bag. So this results in the commonly held misconception among the populace that while the conduct of "#GamerGate" has been reprehensible, the conduct of the other side has been stellar. Indeed, they are often painted as "#GamerGate victims" or contextualized as "#GamerGate targets". This is...painfully inaccurate. The truth is, the conduct of both sides has been absolutely reprehensible. If I had to say, I'd say that the conduct of the SJW side was the more reprehensible of the two, but I recognize that that statement is influenced by the following inherent biases in my psyche:

1) I am what is called a "contrarian", and am almost helpless not to argue against whatever is the most popularly held opinion with the loudest and most numerous voices.
2) Relatedly, in almost any fight I will back the underdog.
3) I have a real problem with authority and with the idea that anything is "forbidden" (verboten). In the current cultural climate, questioning the sanctity of #GamerGate's victims is just such a forbidden taboo. If I am told I am not allowed to do something, that no one is in fact allowed to do that thing, it will often make me want to do that thing unless the "badness" of that thing is inherently evident and not an arbitrary dictum from on-high.

Anyway, the shorter version of where I'm at now is:

The Former: #GamerGate is/was pretty shitty.

The Latter: #GamerGate's "victims" (a completely inaccurate label) are just as shitty/even shittier depending on your perspective.

Everyone knows and agrees upon the former, no one knows the latter, everyone is constantly shouting the former, no one is ever allowed to even suggest the latter in polite company lest their reputation be forever tarnished: doing so is tantamount to crimethink. While I have no desire to join the deafening chorus reciting the obvious tautology of the former, I will be the sole dissenting voice to state the latter when no one else is willing or able to do so.

The truth is the #GamerGate conflict wasn't an issue of "harassers" and "victims". It was a culture war and both sides played very dirty, and came away covered in shit.

author=NeverSilent
The only result of this kind of arguing is stress for everyone involved.

I hope that this is not true, but I can see where you are coming from.
Max McGee
"We are a small group of people working out of pocket and we’re not asking for funding right now, which may or may not change down the line based on our needs, so we can’t take every single case."

More information, please. This vaguely seems to indicate that they are not charging their clients but it is not explicit. It seems to more speak to the issue of seeking outside funding as would a non-profit or charity group. A non-profit or charity group would seek outside funding which they have stated they are not doing.

Does the small group of people working out of pocket include the clients and the money coming from their pockets? I am not saying this is so, I am asking if it is. The interpretations of this seem to be that either: they are running on contributions from a small inner circle of backers, or that they are funding themselves with that plus a fee charged to clients. The language, again, is unclear.

If they are not in fact charging their "clients" to help win their online arguments, great. That leaves the only issue being that Zoe Quinn is about as much of a "victim" as Stalin.
ah. I get it now. You believe that the entire harassment campaign against Quinn never happened. I can see now where your vitriol might come from.

As to the other stuff, I don't see a culture war here. I am not seeing this as a "SJW vs GG" thing in the media. Just "GG is harassing people" and "GG has some ridiculous concepts as to what journalism actually is". SJW is never mentioned anywhere that I see (except your posts and rants on Twitter). But yeah, GG has horrid PR because it is a harassment campaign masquerading as some sort of nebulous (and honestly poorly thought-out) ethics in game journalism initiative. So yeah, GG is exactly where it deserves to be in the public-opinion sphere.
Except she didn't destroy a country or a people. Seriously, even if she were lying about it all that's all she's done. It's not like she's gone and doxxed people over coming out about their own harrassment tales (oh hello GG peeps, you fuckers) or slaughtered babies or something. You don't have to like her to see that even if she did do the dirty back then (and it doesn't matter how much proof is shown, some people will never change their mind about that) she's doing something good with her notoriety now.

Again, the moment there's whispers about 'SJWs' in a detrimental light (as insults) I'm going to start warning people. You've been forewarned.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=Max McGee
I think it's hilarious (in a sickening kind of way) that she has gone from professional victim to now actively profiting off of people's misery. Zoe Quinn is an absolutely loathsome person, and keeps finding new lows I didn't even know human beings were capable of. The "combating online hate" slogan is hilarious in a sickening kind of way, as though the SJW side of things had not also been a font of awful, wretched, hateful speech and behavior.

It is actually really ironic how all of the attempts to shame and harass and threaten her online have basically provided the bitch with a lucrative new business. Unbelievable.

If there is any indication it is not-for-profit please post a source and I will redact or edit part of this comment due to factual error. But all of the language I can see on their website and elsewhere seems to indicate at a glance that they intend to draw a profit from this.

1. It's a business (a very viable one at that), and if people need someone to talk to because they're deep in a pit because of harassment, then having a venue for that is always welcome. I mean, beats having to pay for a councilor, right?
2. Businesses make money.

I don't know, dude, I recently saw a documentary on the KKK and GamerGate struck me as disconcertingly similar. The kicker? I had just about completely forgotten about GamerGate at the time and it came trumpeting back to the forefront of my mind. "It's a movement to uphold the proper order of the United States" = "Blacks have it well enough/better than us and we don't need to listen to them". The KKK's biggest concern? Communism. Gamergate's? Communism.

Need I remind you these were the Bible-thumping numbskulls of the deep south? Rednecks of the highest caliber? Incestuous morons?
Max McGee
Ok. Deep breath.

author=kentona
ah. I get it now. You believe that the entire harassment campaign against Quinn never happened. I can see now where your vitriol might come from.

Did not say that. Said that what she and other SJW ilk did before, during, and after said harassment campaign was worse. Not that #GamerGate wasn't a wretched actor. Just that a combatant in a shit fight is not a "victim" or a "target" and shouldn't be painted as such. Please pay attention Kenton. Repeating myself makes me feel like I"m being pedantic which makes me feel like being a dick.

As to the other stuff, I don't see a culture war here. I am not seeing this as a "SJW vs GG" thing in the media. Just "GG is harassing people" and "GG has some ridiculous concepts as to what journalism actually is". SJW is never mentioned anywhere that I see (except your posts and rants on Twitter).

This is LITERALLY AND EXACTLY THE ENTIRE FUCKING PROBLEM! The mainstream media is being lazy here. They are reporting badly and not getting both sides of the story. There isn't a side of the story that acquits #GamerGate but there absolutely IS one that indicts the other side.

author=kentona
But yeah, GG has horrid PR because it is a harassment campaign masquerading as some sort of nebulous (and honestly poorly thought-out) ethics in game journalism initiative. So yeah, GG is exactly where it deserves to be in the public-opinion sphere

And "Anti-#GamerGate" is not where it deserves to be in the public opinion sphere, which is LITERALLY AND EXACTLY my whole fucking point!

Kenton, if I take the time to research numerous and detailed examples, articles, and sources of abhorrent and wretched behavior and bad actions on the part of SJWs--specifically the SJWs comprising the "Anti-#GamerGate" movement although I don't want to use that term because I AM TECHNICALLY "ANTI" GAMERGATE--will you read them thoughtfully and with an open mind? Will others? Because if not I don't wish to waste my time as I'm sure you can understand.

author=Liberty
Except she didn't destroy a country or a people. Seriously, even if she were lying about it all that's all she's done. It's not like she's gone and doxxed people over coming out about their own harrassment tales (oh hello GG peeps, you fuckers) or slaughtered babies or something. You don't have to like her to see that even if she did do the dirty back then (and it doesn't matter how much proof is shown, some people will never change their mind about that) she's doing something good with her notoriety now.

Let's be clear. I don't think she was lying about it. I just think that she was also a bad actor before, during, and after (look up the story of the Fine Young Capitalists). Which is why I'm skeptical of her new BUSINESS venture.

author=Corfaisus
1. It's a business (a very viable one at that), and if people need someone to talk to because they're deep in a pit because of harassment, then having a venue for that is always welcome. I mean, beats having to pay for a councilor, right?
2. Businesses make money.

This is really all I need to cement my opinion of Crash Override. Making money off of people's harassment is not cool. I was harassed online by members of the RM community, you know. I might have sought help for it, but not if I thought the people in charge would profit off of my misfortune.

author=Corfaisus
I don't know, dude, I recently saw a documentary on the KKK and GamerGate struck me as disconcertingly similar. The kicker? I had just about completely forgotten about GamerGate at the time and it came trumpeting back to the forefront of my mind. "It's a movement to uphold the proper order of the United States" = "Blacks have it well enough/better than us and we don't need to listen to them". The KKK's biggest concern? Communism. Gamergate's? Communism.

Need I remind you these were the Bible-thumping numbskulls of the deep south? Rednecks of the highest caliber? Incestuous morons?

I don't know what the fuck you're even talking about right now and I don't care. Believe it or not, there is space in my "Hate-Box" for #GamerGate AND the Klan AND Zoe Quinn and other SJWs. I can and do hate all of these entities at the same time. It's just I hate #GamerGate the least because everyone else is hating them SO LOUDLY and OBNOXIOUSLY that my getting in on it feels like redundant dogpiling of the highest order.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=Max McGee
This is really all I need to cement my opinion of Crash Override. Making money off of people's harassment is not cool. I was harassed online by members of the RM community, you know. I might have sought help for it, but not if I thought the people in charge would profit off of my misfortune.

It's a helpline; a helpline that just so happens to be making money (something we all need). If Zoe Quinn feels this is the best way to use her time on this earth, as long as she's not breaking any laws, it should be fine. If you've got a problem with it, don't use the service. Vote with your wallet.

I'd be more concerned with those damn investment companies robbing you blind out of two-thirds of your 401k, but nope, Zoe Quinn is a crazy bitch.

Half of this almost sounds like men having a problem with women making their own money. It's either that, or they're still clinging to the whole "she probably just slept her way to the top, the lying whore slut." You've got to see the problem where it stands, and I don't think throwing yourselves against level-headed people because you've got a "problem with authority/the majority" is going to help you any.
Max McGee
I don't give a shit how much money Zoe Quinn makes. I don't want ANYONE to make money by profiting from other people's suffering. Why the fuck should their genitals enter into it?

Fuck's sake do Suicide Hotlines charge people? What about women's shelters? Do they fucking charge their clients dude? There's your appropriate model for helping battered and abused people. And it's not a fucking FOR PROFIT model.

Maybe it's true that I would hate whatever Zoe Quin did, and maybe it isn't, but it's actually irrelevant since Zoe Quinn is now doing something I actually hate. Leeching money from people's emotional distress.

"Lying whore slut" is actually a perfectly accurate description of Zoe Quinn's character, but is mostly irrelevant to this discussion, except if not for the fact that the public excoriation of her private indiscretions has lead directly to this opportunity for her to literally profit from human misery. That...is messed up. If she hadn't been such a shitty person, she wouldn't have this opportunity to turn being a shitty person into cash money.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
Max, if you can't keep things civil then stop posting in this thread.

Don't pretend you don't know what "keep things civil" means.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Okay, I have a question: Max, do you know any of these people, personally? I mean that as in, have you ever partied with them? Had dinner at one of their houses? Shared bean-dip recipes on Super Bowl Sunday?
Dude, do you really expect anyone to take you or your points about Quinn seriously when you say the perfect description for her is "lying whore slut"? That's... gross.

What she did/did not do to her boyfriend/colleagues/whatever is really none of your business but you act as though she has personally wronged you... so, I don't understand.
Not this again. Just quote the entire last thread and be done with it.
There are a lot of male shitty people in the world of gaming who are making much bigger bank for more scrupulous doings. I don't really see anyone going after them with the fires of a thousand dying suns like they have been doing to her. It's because she's 'a woman who doesn't know her place' in the eyes of fuckwits.

@Max: To second Suzy's post, the fact that you refer to her as a slut while also saying that her behaviour doesn't matter or factor into the argument is pretty telling. Her sexual partners are her own and the issue with her boyfriend has been explained several times over (for those not in the know: where the fuck have you been? Basically she slept with a guy who just so happened to be a reviewer for a site that reviews games. She has a game. A review of her game never showed on the site, but that didn't stop her ex (who may or may not have been cheated on who gives a flying fuck) from spreading rumours that she spread her legs for a good review (that I point out again does not fucking exist). Commence doxxing and general fuckwittery by a group calling themselves GamerGate who hide behind the notion of reviews needing to be fair but have done nothing to further that agenda beyond attacking any woman that comes out about their own experiences of harrassment in the gaming community, while ignoring most of the men who deliberately call the group out. Doxxing, btw, is releasing all the personal information about someone on the internet with the intent to ruin their lives. It can be very dangerous, especially when fuckheads get it into their, well, fucked heads, that they 'need to show the bitch/slut/whore/etc her place'. As so many of the fuckwits in GG have decided to do to any woman who so much as has a say on the subject. And then laugh and say 'oh but we have women among us too' because everyone knows that having that one Black friend overrides any of the racist shit you throw around, duh!

Basically.)

Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
I profit from suffering when I have chicken for dinner.
Just throwing a note in here. I'm not debating with hate here, that's your choice to make and we got the opinion of us all already.

Making money out of people's suffering is certainly not too great a plan in itself, but there are whole professions out there who do exactly that. Think of psychotherapists.
The question is whether she actively and effictively is able to help them, or give some moral support at least. "Making money out of it" would also mean that you can expand on the people you can actually reach.

Of course, that's something we cannot know yet. But that does not mean that it needs to be a harmful endeavor.
And truthfully, if people get what they direly need, then who cares about what the additionally incentive for the other person is. It is quite obviously personally related to her - so it is most likely that the main reason she started this business is to help people, and the money is secondary to it and can in fact be used to make it more efficient.

Do you think about psychotherapists and doctors and others the same way I wonder?

Pages: first 123456 next last