SMALL MAPS OR LARGE MAPS.

Pages: first 12 next last
I am curious what do you prefer. Small maps that show only one room or big maps that show the entire floor?

I hope this is the right forum for this thing. Sorry if it isn't .
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
The largest map I've made is a 51 x 51 map, though, I guess the 29 x 67 one was pretty huge. My tendency is toward smaller maps, though.
unity
You're magical to me.
I used to love making large maps, but they tend to slow things down in VX Ace, so I stick to smaller ones, generally under 60x60 or so.
author=Marrend
The largest map I've made is a 51 x 51 map, though, I guess the 29 x 67 one was pretty huge. My tendency is toward smaller maps, though.

Whoa, 51x51 is huge in my opinion.
Small is more kind of principe ?

author=unity
I used to love making large maps, but they tend to slow things down in VX Ace, so I stick to smaller ones, generally under 60x60 or so.

60x60 is humongous. Do people really make maps bigger than that?
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Hest
author=unity

Back in my RPG Maker 2000 days, I'd have a whole dungeon on one 200x200 map. That's going crazy-large, but it can certainly be done. (Again, not recommended in Ace, as it'll be slow as molasses)

To clarify the 60x60, that's generally the large-end of the spectrum for me, with 35x35 and such being more common.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=Hest

Probably!
In Ace it's recommended to keep them smaller rather than bigger as they tend to lag, especially if you've a lot of events. Yes, even if you have an anti-lag script.

Personally I like to limit one edge of a map or make smaller ones (that is, 40x20 or just 30x30.) If I know I won't have many events on it I might go a bit bigger.

That said, you can make a large map then cut it into smaller maps with no transition teleport image to make it seem that you're walking on a huge map instead of a series of smaller ones.
author=unity

I see now , that sounds like a huge amount of work for just one map.
I shall avoid maps bigger than 60x60 , noted.

author=Marrend

That image made me spit tea on my laptop, it is monstrously huge . I admire the artist, that probably took weeks if not months. I remain shocked.
author=Liberty

What can be considered "a lot of events" 10? 20? more?
I understand, the last part sounds really useful thank you.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Hest
I see now , that sounds like a huge amount of work for just one map.
I shall avoid maps bigger than 60x60 , noted.

Yeah, I don't recommend it, as it's a huge amount of work XD

author=Liberty
That said, you can make a large map then cut it into smaller maps with no transition teleport image to make it seem that you're walking on a huge map instead of a series of smaller ones.

With that, I kinda want to make a game that seems to be one gigantic map XD
Hest, use the edit button instead of making multiple posts.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
60x60 isn't that big, assuming it's not a back-and-forth maze of paths. Most maps don't have anywhere close to the entire area be traversible, and you don't have to walk across a lot of what's there because you can see it from where you are walking.

Like here's a 100x64 map that is almost an entire dungeon. Aside from this map there are just two tiny 6x7 buildings you can enter.

The dungeon ends up small enough to only fit maybe ten battles in it, and that'll feel cramped. If you had random encounters instead of touch encounters, you could maybe squeeze in 15 of them, since there's some back-and-forth due to puzzles, but still. You definitely want most of your dungeons to be bigger than this.
author=unity

Work, bleh. I prefer being lazy as I always am.

author=Liberty
Apologies, I shall keep that in mind, thanks .

author=LockeZ
Oh my... and what would be considered a good dungeon size? I assume it's over 200xsomething.
I prefer to keep things small.

Smaller allows for more detail and it feels less tedious to fill.

The largest map I've made in VX ace is a pair of 55 x 50 maps that are a whole dungeon. I'm AMAZED that it doesn't lag like crazy due to the large amount of events in it (Monsters and the parts of the map that open up when you hit the proper switch).

A friend of mine who was working with me on an RMXP game used to love mapping to the point where he made SEVERAL huge maps. I think he had a 200 x 200 teleportation based map with really really evil tricks to it. x_x Fortunately that game never got finished (gee I wonder why!)
I prefer splitting castles, dungeons, towns and interior design into smaller maps
under 50x50. Rectangular maps with the same square footage work well for me especially for dungeons or larger towns. The overworld map is the only one I focus on making ultra-large with maximum dimensions 500x500. Maybe not large enough
to encompass a whole planet.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Well a good dungeon is usually lot of maps, so it becomes harder to say.

Here's a pretty average-sized dungeon from FF6 that was mostly all one big map though. I think it was a good length.

author=Aegix_Drakan

Seems like small maps are leading.
About when does lagging occur? I mean after how many events?

Your friend was cray, I am sorry to hear the game never got finished. I would have loved to play it.

author=Davenport

I understand :o .
Do your world maps contain more than one continent?
i feel like making a giantic map thread

I really like making huge maps. big maps that feel complete are a delight. They're arguably ten times harder than small maps that feel the same, however.

Still, I've done quite a few I'll be sharing now, around the 80x80 to 120x120 mark XD

EDIT: even still i am a minimalist mapper that tends to avoid big maps if possible
I have a thing about city maps being appropriately large. Even if I do have to trick the player into thinking they're the same map when they're not, I prefer they seem like one seamless map (of hugeatude).

But yeah, smaller maps are love and life and MS and 42.

EDIT: I have to admit that I absolutely hate having all parts of an area on one map like shown in the FF6 one above. If you've got separate rooms, give separate maps, for the love of all that is holy. Unless you're using a demo version of the engine in question or Ace Lite, there is no reason not to. It looks hella awkward to have a tiny-ass map and every step you take moving the actual map itself. It's weiiiiiiiiiird. I dun liek eeet. >.<;

Also, because we're showing off big-ass maps~
author=LockeZ

Heh, this is going to involve much more work than I anticipated. Sweet.
Guess I should make most maps into one like the dungeon one ?

author=JosephSeraph

Woohoo, first vote in favour of big maps. I need to stalk you and find about your maps.
Minimalist and little details right?

author=Liberty

Towns are needed to be large usually. Do your town maps have the inside rooms in them like the dungeon posted by LockeZ or do you make separate maps for them?
Pages: first 12 next last