NOVA'S EXPLOSIVE ART DUMP!

Pages: first 12 next last
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
It's up to you to decide if the title was a terrible bathroom joke or a clever play on my name. Or a terrible play on my name. Whatever your answer is, you're probably right.

Anyway, while my primary focus is writing, I like to do character art too. I've still got a lot to learn, but hopefully I'll get better as time goes on!

We'll start the initial dump with something simple: Line art.

Here's Karuna from Luxaren Allure:

Next, a character from my super secret project:

My first attempt at a speedpaint:

Some full colored images of two of my Soul Calibur V mains back when I played a unhealthy amount of Soul Calibur V:

I'm not good enough to draw weapons yet. I will eventually!

And finally, here's a chibi of one of my characters. Because, well... CHIBI!
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=Red_Nova
My first attempt at a speedpaint

Hi, Cieran! Sorta have to smile at Karuna and chibi-Zero as well.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
That looks great, Red_Nova! I especially like the Cieran picture and second Soul Calibur character.
(It'd be interesting to see Isaac and Myra in that chibi style as well...)
unity
You're magical to me.
Great stuff! I think Chibi-Zero is my fav as well :DDDD I hope you continue to fill this thread with art ^_^
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Thanks, everyone, and sorry I didn't respond sooner!

author=NeverSilent

Ooh, my first (sorta) request! I'll get to work on that as soon as I have time! (I'm not sick anymore, so I have a lot of RL catching up to do!)
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
If you're taking requests, I still have plenty of game ideas that could use some art.

Glad to hear you're finally feeling better. Take good care of yourself so the illness doesn't come back.
I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll present to us in the future.
Red_Nova
author=NeverSilent

Ask and you shall (mostly) receive!

Myra is turning out to be really hard to get right anatomically. So here's chibi Isaac while you wait:

... Shading is really hard to do.
Red_Nova
This took WAAAAY longer than it should have, but here's Chibi Myra:

I just tried a chibi style for fun, so I didn't think about how hard it was to get the Soul Sunder cast into chibis. Even now, I'm still not happy with it, but I'd rather try to improve actual human anatomy before spending all my time perfecting the chibi. Plus, spending time perfecting ANYTHING when you're still a novice isn't the best idea.

Anyway, since this isn't my typical style, let me show you a WIP of something I normally do. Here is some line art of a character in my next super secret project that no one knows about except everyone now:

I suck at hands.

NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
Very cool! It's funny to see the contrasts between your usual art style and those images. But I personally agree that your typical style looks better suited for game projects. Please keep everyone updated on your super secret project that nobody is supposed to know about.
Red_Nova
Now that the prototype is ready for public viewing, I might as well name some names and share some progress I've made on the art. (Spoiler: Not a whole lot.)

These are still WIPs obviously, and even then, they're just concepts:

Aeyr:

Still deciding on colors for his armor. Also, I'm really not happy with the eyes. I'm gonna end up just redrawing the entire thing, especially since this is just concept art, and not final.

Mia:

Not too thrilled at the face structure. But at least I have a general idea of what to do with her, design-wise!
unity
You're magical to me.
Nice! I like your color choices so far! Mia is a total cutie-pie :DDD
Marrend
Darigaaz, does Aeyr look like a bad-ass!
Red_Nova
author=unity
Nice! I like your color choices so far! Mia is a total cutie-pie :DDD

Thanks so much!

author=Marrend
Darigaaz, does Aeyr look like a bad-ass!

Good thing he's the MC, right? I have a weird fetish for mixing armor with clothing, so I was afraid I overdid it with him. Glad to see that's not the case!
Red_Nova
I made a mockup of Amalie. This time, though, I conducted a little experiment in shading style on the upper half of her body.

Instead of manually choosing which color to shade in which part, I just set a pure black for a hard shade, then a translucent black for a soft shading. If you've ever played The World Ends With You, I tried to mimic that style.

If nothing else, this process cut time by about 70%. That alone is cause enough for me to take a serious look at this style going forward.

So what do you think? When I move on to final production (of this particular piece and others), if I spend more time getting the exact lighting down (as well as anatomy, but that's a given) is this style worth pursuing? Personally, I like it, but it's always good to hear outside opinions.

Marrend
Yeah, that mock-up of Amalie is pretty sweet! That it took you less time to do than the other mock-ups? That seems to suggest that this style is totally worth perusing.
sinn
the original sinn
A female sakugan no shana x assassin creed i suppose?
author=Red_Nova
Some full colored images of two of my Soul Calibur V mains back when I played a unhealthy amount of Soul Calibur V:

I'm not good enough to draw weapons yet. I will eventually!

Red_Nova
School has been making me absolutely miserable for the last week. With finals coming up in about two days, I figured I'd do the sensible thing: Escape reality take a short break.

It's good to get out of your comfort zone every once in a while, yes? That's why I decided to draw something I don't typically draw: A magical girl. Yay. I'm still learning Sai, so I haven't shaded it yet, but I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out. At least design wise:

I hate drawing hands.

This person's power is control over storms, meaning wind, water, and lightning magic. Admittedly, the only place you can kinda see it, is in the color choices. I'll have to go back and work on that.

Yes, I've had an idea I wanted to do for a magical girl game. Fite me.
Red_Nova
Ever since I got my tablet, I've been hitting the books on anatomy and drawing fundamentals. As such, I don't have much to show right now. But here's a bust of the magical girl show before:

Red_Nova
Made a lot of art for Soul Sunder 2 over the last week. They're mostly busts, but I'm still rather proud of how far I've come since even the start of this topic.

Anyway, Here are some of my favorites. Warning: Big pictures as they are still WIPs.

Redone Amalie:

Aeyr in a different outfit at the start of the game:

Redesigned Mia:

Mia Profile (The non bust version you'll see in menus. Also, this is only lines.)

I really need to put more designed to the breastplates, but I like to think I'm getting better as time goes on and I keep doing this. What do you think?
I really like this image:

Still deciding on colors for his armor. Also, I'm really not happy with the eyes. I'm gonna end up just redrawing the entire thing, especially since this is just concept art, and not final.

Despite it being a WIP, I think it looks great as it is XD the colours are very striking.
Pages: first 12 next last