GOOD UNLOCKABLE BONUSES

Pages: 1
I'm about to add a trophy system based on various event flags (everything from a high number of battles won before saving to story events, to weird sidequests). Since the file search seems to work, I may as well.

What awards are good incentives to unlock rare stuff? And what are good challenges?

I mean, I was starting with music and videos and pictures, and having mostly sidequests as the challenges. But I'm wondering what else to do.
Gotta find 'em all - One of each item in the game (add +1 to a variable if x item is added to inventory and switch for that item is off).
99 potions (you could call it 99 Potions and a Mega-elixir ain't one ;p).
Super Swagin' - Win x battles.
Hurcule! - Lose x battles.
Chicken Big (ran from x battles.)
Chicken Little (end of game with no running from battles at all, or less than 10.)
Spell Master (collect every spell possible for characters).
Level 100 - reach level 99.
Best-iary - kill one of every enemy in the game.

Have a certain item that can be interacted with optionally (like barrels in the Atelier/Star Ocean series) and if you find them all (or over a certain percent) then the barrel fairy opens up and you get an optional quest.

In Seer Dell: Dragon, I added achieves for story stuff - reaching the end of the credit roll was one. Another was getting all the achieves. Also, seeing a certain cutscene (well, it was semi-optional). You could make a few like that I guess.
It was like steam achieves, with an image popping up showing, like so:

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
"because I can get the code working" probably isn't the best reason to implement a feature in your game
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
I need that "Get over it!" achievement, is funny.

I threw in some trophy unlockables in Feral Solidarity that you unlock based on how you played the game (most of it relies on how you spent - or didn't spend - your survival points) once you've beaten it under any requirement (multiple endings). You get secrets that you can give to a frog to obtain the trophy items so you can eventually unlock the whole list on a new file. You can also unlock the "Unobtainable" trophy and get a message from me congratulating you on your feat.

Just keep it simple and out of the way so that those who care about it can go looking for them while those who don't aren't bombarded with unnecessary bullshit.
author=LockeZ
"because I can get the code working" probably isn't the best reason to implement a feature in your game

it is the one true reason.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
author=kentona
author=LockeZ

That's the only reason one of my games exists.
author=Corfaisus
I need that "Get over it!" achievement, is funny.

I threw in some trophy unlockables in Feral Solidarity that you unlock based on how you played the game (most of it relies on how you spent - or didn't spend - your survival points) once you've beaten it under any requirement (multiple endings). You get secrets that you can give to a frog to obtain the trophy items so you can eventually unlock the whole list on a new file. You can also unlock the "Unobtainable" trophy and get a message from me congratulating you on your feat.

Just keep it simple and out of the way so that those who care about it can go looking for them while those who don't aren't bombarded with unnecessary bullshit.

It's gonna be at the Extras page. You won't see it unless you open that from the Title Screen (yea, too many menus blew up in my face).

author=CashmereCat
author=kentona
author=LockeZ

That's the only reason one of my games exists.

You guys are silly.

Locke, it's basically polish to the game, since I have a load of sidequests and stuff, completing them all should give you something.

That said, I am having trouble drawing the icons.

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Man, a huge part of RPGs is about doing stuff to get stronger. Why wouldn't you give the player new equipment/spells/characters/items/areas/quests/etc. as rewards from those sidequests?

If it's literally the hardest thing in the game then of course I understand the reason not to. The equipment is useless at that point. That's when you unlock the sound test mode or the character art, or add a new ending. But if you have "a load of sidequests" then the reward should really be part of the game, not just something outside of it. Rewarding the player with both power and trophies is fine, but having just the trophies is really weird and discouraging, at least for an RPG.
These aren't item bonuses. This is like, you've finished the game, and done it under 10 minutes, with both hands behind your back, and killed 9000 enemies. So you get like a bonus video or something.
This brings to mind the discussion on Achievements which was going on around the time I first joined this board. Some people really dislike them (myself included, and my participation probably had a lot to do with that discussion getting so heated,) but I think the advice LockeZ gave at the time was pretty good, so I'll bring it up again since he hasn't already.

The sort of things you want to give your players awards for are things that they would already have found interesting and worthwhile challenges anyway. Getting the best weapon in the game is a goal that will be fun for a lot of players. Getting a copy of every weapon in the game in your inventory is a bizarre and tedious goal that hardly any of your players would willingly challenge themselves with. Don't ask them to do the second one. Completionists might feel compelled to do it for the reward, but it won't make it fun.

Also I think it's better to avoid mutually exclusive achievements unless you're already giving the player plenty of other reasons to replay the game. A few achievements probably aren't going to be adequate reason on their own to replay the game, and a lot of people will be annoyed knowing there are achievements they're forced to pass up.
In terms of the ultimate weapon, each character has this, so I'll set up multiple flags to activate instead of making you get all weapons (or even all ultimate weapons). In general, the goals are mostly sidequest based. And most of them are moderately difficult to unlock so it's an achievement, but more of a perk than anything the (normal) player will mourn.

There are about 27 blank frames to fill with award icons, the last of which is in an award for getting all awards. That's a lie, there is another row of weird awards.
I think I only have one thing of mutually exclusive awards (a romantic sidequest, where you can either unlock two relationships, or basically do a ship relationship). But there are enough easter eggs that these seem to work.
LockeZ
Purely for the sake of not causing people like me extreme amounts of psychological stress, I would please request that you make a single achievement for "Engage in a romantic relationship" that can be unlocked by either relationship. The difference is purely cosmetic, but the kind of people who care about these achievements in the first place will feel better if they don't have a hole in their checklist.
Two romance events then. We have a main romance (which actually unlocks features in the game), and the supporting cast romances. Since the main romance is not ideal to skip (it is one of the flags for GamePlus), but the others are interchangeable, I can get away with having a main romance and side romance at minimum, and this would allow for pretty much any combo.

I gotta fill about three blank slots of awards then.

Okay, these are the awards I have:
  • Starting Out Slow
  • Trigrams
  • Oracle Of Tao
  • Main Romance
  • Side Romance
  • Critical Multihit
  • Sequence Break
  • Forage For Food
  • Alchemy Novice
  • Philosopher's Stone
  • Gold Alchemist
  • Sushi!
  • Fisher King (erm, Queen)
  • Ultimate Weapon
  • Game Plus Award
  • That's Treasure Hunter!
  • Nature's Bounty
  • Meeting God
  • Gawd Slayer
  • Bullseye
  • Christmas Tree
  • Pet of Horror
  • Curse of 999
  • The Tower
  • Go Mad From The Revelation
  • Golden Ending
  • All Trophies

And that's all. It's not like I have any hidden awards or anything.
charblar
"wait you made this a career?"
A good example of awards that I think your explaining is in Metroid Prime Trilogy you get little badges of different colors for defeating bosses in different games as well as scanning things and what not you can then use these to things such as unlock a screenshot taker, concept art, music! Etc. You could have your achievements give you said trophies and then be able to spend them on similar things, I know there are a couple simple music player as well as photo book like scripts and what not out there you could use to make these things work.
I have a trophy achievement system in Amulet of Fate and how it works is quite similar to most other achievement systems. (steal this many times, run away this many times, defeat this many battles and sometimes quest related: find all treasure maps, etc.) But the real reward is completing all trophies. For that you get a Golden Ticket which you take to the hidden merchant somewhere in the game and he'll take your ticket and allow you to buy all the super rare stuff in the game (the items/weapons/armor/spells where there is only 1 of in the entire game, period) and buy them cheaply at 2 gil a piece. NOW THAT'S A REWARD!
Hmmmm. I have game passwords (stuff like typing a certain word can give you a bonus). I could let some go in addition to music, videos, and cutscenes. And maybe a developer room. Although, that would be just me and the voice actors.
author=Darkflamewolf
I have a trophy achievement system in Amulet of Fate and how it works is quite similar to most other achievement systems. (steal this many times, run away this many times, defeat this many battles and sometimes quest related: find all treasure maps, etc.) But the real reward is completing all trophies. For that you get a Golden Ticket which you take to the hidden merchant somewhere in the game and he'll take your ticket and allow you to buy all the super rare stuff in the game (the items/weapons/armor/spells where there is only 1 of in the entire game, period) and buy them cheaply at 2 gil a piece. NOW THAT'S A REWARD!

I would be careful that, first, you don't require the player to do anything really obnoxious to get the achievements. If a bunch of the achievements require some kind of tedious activity, then the real reward requires the player to do all the tedious things. Second, there shouldn't be any requirements that are obscure or unintuitive. Some of the players are probably going to want all the achievements whether they know there's a reward or not, but the last thing you want is to send them flailing around randomly trying to get those last few achievements. If there's anything worse than engaging in tedious activities for an achievement, it's engaging in tedious activities for the hope of an achievement without knowing where the endpoint is or if it even exists. Third, make sure that the reward isn't something that would be useful if not for the fact that the player had to accomplish so much to get it that they don't need it anymore.
Let's analyze these, and get some feedback.

• Starting Out Slow
  • Trigrams
  • Oracle Of Tao
These first three can be obtained by playing the game.
  • Main Romance
  • Side Romance
These are somewhat hard to figure out, as they require backtracking in some cases. But even without an award, you get some good cutscenes.
  • Critical Multihit
You get this largely by being lucky. Certain statuses boost your critical hit chain.
  • Sequence Break
Basically there are a number of points where you can break sequence. The soonest one you can find wandering about town, the other two also tie in to another award (if you lose)
  • Forage For Food
  • Fisher King (erm, Queen)
  • Alchemy Novice
  • Philosopher's Stone
  • Gold Alchemist
Crafting awards and foraging awards. Some are easy, some, not so much.
  • Sushi!
Pffft. This is a particularly pointless sidequest. A sushi seller sends you on a sidequest to get an item back, you trade items only to find out she got it traded back! Ambrosia loses it.
  • Ultimate Weapon
One character gets their ultimate weapon (doesn't matter which)
  • Game Plus Award
Finishing the game and unlocking Game Plus
  • That's Treasure Hunter!
  • Nature's Bounty
Bounty and finding treasures
  • Meeting God
A story sidequest. This can overlap with the next.
  • Gawd Slayer
See the Go Mad. This is if you win.
  • Bullseye
Honestly, I'm still puzzling out how to award this one. Maybe I can award it for activating your limit break?
  • Christmas Tree
I think this one may actually be the hardest to find of the main ones. You have a town that only appears at Christmas in the snow continent.
  • Pet of Horror
  • The Tower
You can get both of these by completing the bonus dungeon and gaining a pet (and training it)
  • Curse of 999
1000 victories.
  • Go Mad From The Revelation
Lose to an Eldritch Abomination. Two of the Sequence Break awards are unlocked this way, and the Nature's Bounty is also on this path.
  • Golden Ending
The best ending of the Game Plus endings.
  • All Trophies
Getting "all" trophies. There's actually a few hidden ones.

Which of these would be easy, hard, and in-between?
Pages: 1