LIFE IS STRANGE

Pages: 1
charblar
"wait you made this a career?"
I've been into this game recently as Episode 2 came out last week, i dont know if anyone else has looked into it but over all if your looking for a game similar in style to Telltale's games with strong female roles with an interesting story and mechanic you should check it out! Warning though for it is a high level M game.
I've been watching some LPers (Kim and Hannah from Yogscast, mainly) and it seems an interesting game.

It has a lot of interesting story ideas and while the writing is really corny in some areas (the writers need classes in how teens actually talk) it's quite well done so far. There are some logic issues that have annoyed me but overall the atmosphere and story itself are pretty interesting for a game that focuses around missing girls, photography and time travel.

It's great to see how LPers differ in their choices, too. Of the two I'm watching, Hannah missed the phonecall and thus, the deal with Kate didn't go well at all, while Kim actually said all the right things and, well, things turned out a bit better. I'm looking forward to seeing where the next three chapters go since so much has occured in just the first two.

I have to admit, I did like Chloe when she first showed up but I'm starting not to like her as much. She kinda gets a bit bitchy at times. That said, I love the main character, Max. She's great and just the kind of main you want in a game like this.
It's pretty terrible. The only thing I enjoyed was the Spirits Within callback, as I can't tell if it was in slight or genuine like for that movie.
Really? It has it's faults but it's not terrible. Gameplay-wise, the mechanic for going back through time is interesting and allowing you to change your choices is a good fit for the story. I do wish photography was expanded on a little more as it seems a bit tacked on but I'm sure it'll come in handy for proof later in the story. Of course, the options you get are limited, but that's going to be the case when it comes to branching stories, just so that things can be rounded up well at the end.

Granted, some of the writing is pretty silly, but in a cheesy kind of way, and the many shout-outs can be a little 'ugh' but then, with the advent of geekdom not being so hated any more, it's only natural that more people (teens, too) are going to be using quotes and stuff in their lives and referencing media culture more often. That said, while the writing can come off as a bit immature, Max herself is a pretty good character and well-written, if a bit hipster-chic.

The music is neat and most of it from real bands; and the overall story so far has been interesting. Granted, it's not really 'save the world from evil mcevilton' and focuses on the struggles of being a teen dealing with bullying, suicide and loss, so I can understand if that doesn't appeal to everyone, but the mystery of Rachel Amber and the little interactions with other characters, as well as Max's ability and the oncoming storm are more than enough for most players to feel a motivation to move forward.

What exactly didn't you like, if I may ask?
what game are we even talking about here?
It's called Life is Strange.
It's like The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us game series' by Telltale, where it's released in chapters and each chapter changes depending on the choices you make - so if you helped someone in Chapter 1, they might be more inclined to do something for you in the second chapter. This one is created by Square Enix and tells the tale of a photography student who gains the power to flash back in time for a short period, thus changing her choices/things that happen.

The second chapter (of five total) was released last week or so, and the next will be next month. I think they're releasing one a month.
Is there actually game play in this? Or is it exactly like the Telltale crap, as in, a TV series posing as a watered down adventure game?

Just a curiosity really, I don't play stuff like this.
what is The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us?
The gameplay revolves around checking things out, rewinding time and making choices.

There's one scene where you have to keep rewinding time in order to figure out a puzzle to save a friend's life and another where you having examined various items earlier can help you make the right choices in order to talk down a suicidal friend (you can get her killed if you make the wrong choices).

It is basically walking around, learning about the world and making choices but the rewinding time allows you to change your choices if you regret them - but only just after the scene plays out with the choice.

Currently it's small stuff but it is an improvement on Telltale's games in that aspect, though they have a much better story-telling aspect.

Oh? And only one of TT's games was based on the TV show - the interim Walking Dead one. The others are based more on the comics (though some characters from the TV show do pop their head in to say hi) - the story itself is original but set in the world/setting of the Walking Dead. The idea of that series was the emotional connection and it's actually very good at doing that, if you give it the chance to.

Lee... ;.;

@kentona: Oh dear.

Walking Dead is a series of comic books that was made into a TV show and a game. It's based in a world where zombies happened and focuses on a group of people just trying to survive. I much prefer the comics to the TV series, but it's pretty decent for a zombie show. The name refers to the fact that everyone is already infected with the virus that turns them to zombies - the living are the Walking Dead. The game is set in the same world as the comics, with cameos from the show every now and again, but the story is different from both comics and show, with original cast and plot. It's heart-breaking and there are currently two games released with 5 chapters in each.

The Wolf Among Us is a game based on a comic series about fairytales who live in our world, trying to blend in and not be seen by humans. There's a lot of tension between the characters due to their histories via their stories, but also the interactions they have with each other and... well, it's pretty interesting series if you like twisted fairy tales.
The game focuses on the Big Bad Wolf (Bigby) who tries to find the story behind a series of murders where fairy tale women are getting their heads cut off. He's joined by Snow White and other various fairy tale characters, trying to find the big bad and... well, it's decent.

The games both rely on story-telling over gameplay. That's not to say there isn't gameplay but most of the time said gameplay consists of choices that change the outcome of the story and quick-time events. Oh, and walking around.

Both are very good at characterisation and story-telling, though I can see why some wouldn't enjoy the idea of not actually going out and destroying evil gods or waging war on evil countries or shooting the shit out of nameless drones and the like. I guess it's a bit niche.

I enjoyed them quite a bit, though, but then I am a bit of a story and character fiend so...
oh. I've never seen The Walking Dead.
To be fair, I only watched half of first season of the show, so...

I much preferred the comics. ^.^ And game.
My experience with the Walking Dead is limited to the first half of the graphic novel, after which I found out it was bullshit and pawned it off on my friend.

Ever since then I've been moaning about how popular it is, and I get to live the luxury life of frequently having complaints dismissed, and having my intelligence, common sense and creative ability devalued because I don't think Robert Kirkman is the reincarnation of Jesus Christ. Oh, also I get to be called ignorant, childish, and other such insults.

People sometimes wonder why I despise anything to do with zombies. I can't imagine why.
Who is Robert Kirkman?
I'm gonna hazard a guess and say the comic writer?

I read comics. I don't pay attention to who writes them... I'm the worst kind of reader. XD

I'll agree that the first few comics weren't great. The only reason I continued to read was that I was bored, had nothing else to do at the time and had heard it was good. I literally grabbed it on a whim and figured I'd read what I had. It got better as it went, but if your exposure is the first half, then I understand where you're coming from. It takes a while to pick up and get interesting.

That said, the game is only set in the world of the comic, not dealing with the characters/places that the tv show and comic were in. The characters are a lot more engaging I found, but then again, when peoples' lives are in your hands you're gonna feel compelled to try and save them and make the right choices, which can be pretty compelling at times.

More than once I found myself worrying if my choices were going to kill us all and screaming "GET AWAY FROM MY <name of character here> YOU ASSHOLE!" at random zombies/people. The big theme of the series (both game and comic) is that zombies are deadly, but desperate humans are deadlier (and much more likely to kill/betray/destroy you and the people you care for). And giving up hope? That's the deadliest thing of all...
What exactly didn't you like, if I may ask?

Almost everything. Keep in mind I have no problem with the limitations of doing a multi-branched story, but the point and execution of them is completely lacking. Even OoT with its faux Light/Dark world had a fitting purpose.

author=Liberty
Really? It has it's faults but it's not terrible. Gameplay-wise, the mechanic for going back through time is interesting and allowing you to change your choices is a good fit for the story. I do wish photography was expanded on a little more as it seems a bit tacked on but I'm sure it'll come in handy for proof later in the story. Of course, the options you get are limited, but that's going to be the case when it comes to branching stories, just so that things can be rounded up well at the end.

A lot of the time travel is pretty stupid to the point where you're doing something really unconventional and borderline Monkey Island logic like you move a bunch of bullies blocking your path through the "classic" paint bucket sprinkler trick... then there are moments where you're using time travel for the most basic of things, it's akin to Wolverine opening a can of beer with his adamantium claws.

Really though you're not figuring anything out, just find some click worthy thing and wind back time when you feel appropriate (or if the game flat out tells you). As a "game mechanic" there's not much to it. As a "see how the story could be" it feels like a lot of the characters and plot are nonsensical in how people react it's hard to even know what anything even means. The premise of whether or not to be nice or look out for people is simple, but the points being illustrated are up in the air. The whole direction and tone is caught between a thriller teen movie time travel twin peaks inspired existential whatever the fuck to the point that there's no grounding to base your choices on. Overall it's split between a semblance of a weak puzzle solver and a dim interactive literary device.

Worst of all there is no feeling of an over-arching POINT to all of this. The teen struggle dealing with bullies and social stigma thing is overshadowed by the stupid drug dealing subplot which is overshadowed by the supernatural plot which is dumped on top of the hipster movie tropes of meandering "i don't know where my life is going mannnnn where did it all go wrongggggg" and I can bet you the ending will just be left really ambiguous in that it doesn't commit to any actual idea, just implying themes that aren't actually there so people will feel "enlightened" and warm in the end. It's just a mess so far.

author=Liberty
Granted, some of the writing is pretty silly, but in a cheesy kind of way, and the many shout-outs can be a little 'ugh' but then, with the advent of geekdom not being so hated any more, it's only natural that more people (teens, too) are going to be using quotes and stuff in their lives and referencing media culture more often. That said, while the writing can come off as a bit immature, Max herself is a pretty good character and well-written, if a bit hipster-chic.

Yeah the game is made by a bunch of french guys who have no idea how contemporary young american teen life culture works so it's hilarious seeing how unbelievable everything is. One example is how they dealt with the father hitting the girl scene, where they handled it in most mind-boggling way possible. But that's only a small part of the bigger problem I have with this game.

author=Liberty
The music is neat and most of it from real bands; and the overall story so far has been interesting. Granted, it's not really 'save the world from evil mcevilton' and focuses on the struggles of being a teen dealing with bullying, suicide and loss, so I can understand if that doesn't appeal to everyone, but the mystery of Rachel Amber and the little interactions with other characters, as well as Max's ability and the oncoming storm are more than enough for most players to feel a motivation to move forward.

I WANT to like it because the music and the afterschool sunset feel makes it pretty distinct, but all the characters and situations feel so alien that it makes Mass Effect feel close to home. I mean Mass Effect's choices can be shallow good/evil/gray shit but I understand what's behind it and what to think about it.
charblar
"wait you made this a career?"
@Libby yes I love max.... There is apparently a thing for people with Victoria like I liked her if you didn't make fun of her but other than that she's not really what I would call a fave
@Kentona tbh it has less gameplay then walking dead if you mean in terms of action its a lot more reading and looking around most of the time it has its flaws but yeah.
Pages: 1