BLACK AND ETHNIC FACE-SETS KICKSTARTER HAS LAUNCHED!

Pages: first 123 next last
Update!!!

The Global Release has arrived, folks:

Ethnic Hero Face-sets!

These face-sets are free to use and distribute; please remember to give credit to the corresponding artist in your game. We have dark-skinned characters, aliens, fantasy heroes, both genders, etc.

Esther Chang kindly agreed to donate her artwork from Dungeon of Monarchs (the character Rahz, see my profile pic).

What follows was the old news from way back when...

Just wanted to update the RMN community that the Ethnic Face-sets Kickstarter has finally launched! Thank you to everyone who provided feedback during the preview stage. We made a lot of improvements with your help!

For those who haven't heard of this campaign before...

Our team is trying to promote racial and gender diversity by providing game art of black and ethnic heroes and heroines, free-of-charge, to the world, for use in commercial projects. If the campaign is successful, backers get the face-sets a full six months before world distribution, and our artists get paid. We have a wide range of rewards available; so please take a look.

It's our sincere hope this project will help indie developers everywhere! If you believe in our cause, please spread the word! Thank you for your support!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1577583701/face-set-art-pack-ethnic-and-black-videogame-chara
unity
You're magical to me.
I've already backed the project :DDDD

Best of luck with this! I'm really hoping it gets funded! ^_^
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
As a South Asian, I want to support this, but have no idea what's meant by "Black and Ethnic"? Would I be part of the "Ethnic" group?
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
I like to draw my own facesets, so I can't really see much use of these for me, personally. But this is definitely a thing that needs to happen, so...

*backed*

I guess I can use them for references.
author=Yellow Magic
As a South Asian, I want to support this, but have no idea what's meant by "Black and Ethnic"? Would I be part of the "Ethnic" group?

Dark-skinned. We would like to expand to other groups, like Polynesian races, for example. It's ultimately decided by the artists, so I'll forward your input to them. Thank you, Yellow Magic.
author=Red_Nova
I like to draw my own facesets, so I can't really see much use of these for me, personally. But this is definitely a thing that needs to happen, so...

*backed*

I guess I can use them for references.

Thank you for the support, Red_Nova! :)
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
This is a cool idea! I think it'd be really neat for people who are just getting into RM but wanna work with more than just the default facesets. Backed! And good luck :D
author=slash
This is a cool idea! I think it'd be really neat for people who are just getting into RM but wanna work with more than just the default facesets. Backed! And good luck :D

Thank you for the support, slash! :)
charblar
"wait you made this a career?"
Ooh yay I've been looking forward to this I will back it asap!
author=charblar
Ooh yay I've been looking forward to this I will back it asap!

Great! Thank you for the support, charblar!
Yellow Magic
author=MercynMetal
author=Yellow Magic
Dark-skinned. We would like to expand to other groups, like Polynesian races, for example. It's ultimately decided by the artists, so I'll forward your input to them. Thank you, Yellow Magic.

Please do...terminology like 'dark-skinned' is quite confusing to me (as I'm not exactly light-skinned myself) and there's severe shortage of South Asian characters in RPGs. I'd like to change that somehow :)
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
I assumed it would be along the lines of what you see in the Kickstarter page. MercynMetal, if there's an ethnic range outside of what was displayed planned for this release, I think it's definitely worth mentioning to prevent more confusion like this.
Just in Asia, there is everything from very tan to yellow tones to very light tones.

If you're using a vague term like "dark skinned" this may involve a refresher course. We are pretty short of Asian facesets in general, and there is everything from Middle Eastern racial makeup to the various indigenous groups of China and Japan. For that matter, even in the Middle East many Jews are a different racial stock than Muslims (as Jews tend to marry other Jews).

How "dark skinned" is too light to include? Are Native Americans too "white"?

If anyone is going to pay this kickstarter, it needs to be more specific and more inclusive.
Have you ever seen an Aboriginal? They are dark as South Africans.

Also, how about Middle East? There's a lot of different colours there. The whole spectrum.

Oh, I remember nessy did some dark skinned people too, with Scinaya I think it was? They're in the resource section here. Um, one sec.

http://rpgmaker.net/resources/35/
http://rpgmaker.net/resources/37/
http://rpgmaker.net/resources/39/

I think there were a few more but they aren't on site.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
author=bulmabriefs144
If anyone is going to pay this kickstarter, it needs to be more specific and more inclusive.

I figured it's just meant to be a start at expanding what's available, not the end-all be-all of resources.
^That^

Honestly, bulma, it's not like they're asking for thousands of dollars to make a whole RTP. It's 16 characters, right? two sprite sets. enough to be varied but not enough for a whole rpg.
Yellow Magic
I'm actually gonna side with bulmabriefs on this one. Ambiguous language like "ethnic" (ethnic to where?) and "dark-skinned" (relative to what?) should be avoided when possible - it helps to be a bit more concise regarding races, skin tones and the like.

Regardless, this is pretty promising so I've backed the project. Good luck!!
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Part of the wording issue is that the amount of variety depends a lot on how much funding we get; I think for the base level it's primarily African ethnicity, then we can add more ethnicities as we get more cash to feed the art machine.

Thanks for your consideration, everyone! :D
I've never made an online transaction in my life. I do want to support this though. Not sure if I'd ever use the face sets but I like the idea of giving people more diverse options for characters.
Seems I have until May 2nd to support it. Honestly I've been wanting to try the whole online transaction thing so I may just do. I think I'll need to get a credit card first. I know I probably sound like an old man (I'm in my twenties) but yeah I've never bought anything online.

I'll definitely spread the word on other sites. I have your Kickstarter bookmarked I'll spread info as best I can.

author=slash
author=bulmabriefs144
I figured it's just meant to be a start at expanding what's available, not the end-all be-all of resources.

Like Slash said they might not be able to do every ethnicity but at least it's a start.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=RedMask
author=slash
author=bulmabriefs144
Like Slash said they might not be able to do every ethnicity but at least it's a start.

I mean, if y'all want, after this is done you can set up another KS for more ethnicities, and I'd be happy to be a contributing artist. There's no law saying we can't do MULTIPLE royalty-free faceset projects! It doesn't have to be the swiss army knife of facesets!
Pages: first 123 next last