PLACES FROM YOUR CHILDHOOD THAT YOU MISS THE MOST

Pages: 1

- You all remember jumping into a pool of these, right?

Being a kid back then sure was the sweet life, wasn’t it? No rules, no worrying about the bills being payed on time, no relationship problems, no having to deal with the sudden stress of work… Everything was just totally peachy-keen back then! And I’m pretty sure you all have such wonderful memories of those care-free days that you often think about from time to time… I mean – who doesn’t? Getting old sucks!

But what about those wonderful, kick-ass places that you went to as a kid that your parents, or your best friends’ parents, took you to? What about all those wonderful, childhood locations that you remember? What, and where, exactly were they? What exactly do you remember the most about them – and are they still around today? Well, that’s what the purpose of this thread is for, to share those wonderful places that you once remember with everyone else.

One place that I remember quite fondly, which is exactly still around today, is a place called Crash Crawley’s in Coquitlam, which had a huuuuuugggge ballroom / playarea that had all these different types of winding paths, slides, ropes that you could hang on and glide around and the works. It was a freakin’ maze to explore, but fun as hell, especially if you’re playing hide-and-seek with a bunch of other kids. The food was also pretty great there too, and it was the very first place that I ever went to play laser-tag! I thought it was the coolest thing ever! It’s just too bad that it’s not as frequent around here than it used to be.

Another place I also remember was an old pizza restaurant and local arcade just a couple of blocks from my house called Michael’s Pizzeria. This was the sort of the family, pizza restaurant that you always longed to visit again. This place had T.V.’s everywhere that you could watch pretty much every sports game on, pretty damn good, delicious pizza with a wild variety of a section of different beers and pop, and an arcade in the corner for all the kiddies to play! This place was awesome back then! Some of the arcade games that I remember the most while playing there were Wonder Boy, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Arcade Game, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, Golden Axe – and among many more. The owner, unfortunately, sold the building space many, many years ago and moved it a couple of blocks down the road. It actually still kind of exists today in theory, as we do order out from there once and a while, but it’s a shadow of its former self, as it mostly focuses on pizza deliveries and indoor lunch specials. The arcade portion is, unfortunately, lost to time... Now the old area where it used to be located has now turned into another Starbucks. (F***…)

And the last place I remember used to be something at the P.N.E called the Nintendo Tent, where they would showcase all the cool, new upcoming games for everybody there to try, and even hold contests and events over there for prizes! This was the very first time I ever entered a competition with other kids in Mario Kart 64 and Super Smash Bros. Melee. I didn’t win – but I actually made it pretty far, all the way to the quarter-finals in both events. There was even one year where the Nintendo Tent became the Playstation Tent and this was the very first time I laid my eyes on one of my favorite RPG’s ever still to this day – and which eventually through a string of events led me to RPG Maker itself – Star Ocean: The Second Story. I still remember playing that for almost an hour in the tent, just absolutely blowing my mind…. Unfortunately, as of around 2007, the Nintendo Tent / Playstation Tent was no more at the P.N.E.. And now it’s just a mobile service tent for people to get their grubby, little hands on a brand new cellphone. Damn…

- So what places from your childhood do you guys remember?
For me it's the neighbourhood that I grew up in that I remember very fondly. Looking back I realize that I only lived there for about ten years. But you know, it was the most important years. (2-12 or 3-13, can't remember which)

It was a small suburban community with a tiny library, a school and before I started school I believe there also existed a grocery store. Today only the school remains and it too is under threat of closing. (It barely escaped in the last batch of closed schools so it's likely it'll go in the next round)

It consisted of a couple of apartment buildings (built in the early 80s I think, some were being built as I lived there, like the kindergarten that opened when I was 5) and a bunch of houses.

So this is the location I miss. Of course it still exists but it's so much smaller now. So the mountain (location of many a space and fantasy battles) with it vast dark forest behind it is fairly tiny now and you can see the road to the city through the trees. (partly because they widened the road to put a bike lane next to it but partly because yes, everything is smaller when you grow up)

The river (stream) partway on the road to school, flowing with such strength in spring and leading out to the sea on the other side of the road to the city. (those were forbidden places, you were not allowed to cross the big road. BUT if you folllowed the stream there was a pipe that went under the road that you could crawl through. The pipe is no longer crawleable. I thought it was because I grew up but in the army I crawled through a similar pipe to the one I remembered so I think they just shrunk the pipe when they widened the road. (maybe they thought it was dangerous for kids to crawl through it)

Yeah this stream is pretty unimpressive today. (It is barely an overgrown ditch) But it held such opportunity for our bark boats. (and lots of work clearing the stream from debris so that the water could flow freely, and occasionally damming it up and breaking the dame because loads of water suddenly flowing is pretty sweet)

Then there were the vast forests behind the school. Parts of them were for orienteering and I'm pretty certain they are still vast because I walked around in them a couple of years ago and just loved it. There's some swampy areas, some dry areas and there's a running track going through most of it (a skiing track in winter) so it's a pretty great place to be when the weather is decent. Of course it is no longer the stage of great wars (though it might be for other people) mostly it is a frisbee golf track.

This whole area has sort of fallen into disrepair nowadays. In my job I occasionally deliver things to the neighbourhood and half the apartment building apartments seem empty and the stairhouses smell of tobacco and alcohol (and occasionally piss, but not very often) I remember there being a fair amount of strange people smelling of alcohol around when I was a kid too but I doubt it was as many. (and we all knew them by name and greeted them happily on the street)

So yes, the rose-tinted version of the neighbourhood I grew up in, that's the childhood place I remember.
My Great Grandfathers' farm was awesome. There was the sheep shearing shed which we'd play under and the wood collection that was built like a maze and the old car that we'd pretend to drive and the tipped on one side plough that we'd climb over and the hamsters in the shed that we released one time and since then they infested the sheds.

There were also the horses, the dam with the yabbies and goldfish, the mulberry patch which was full of thorns but we'd climb in the tree and stain ourselves purple, and the big tree just outside the house which had bird feeders and old pot plant holders hanging from it and the turkey cages that were never used and the old possum in the roof that Par fed weet-bix every morning...

That's not even mentioning the house itself, with the underground cellar that would flood in winter and that we weren't allowed in (which 'ate' all our tennis balls when we'd play against the kitchen wall just over it where it had a drain leading into it - and it also ate my special spoon :< ), and the spare room which was full of junk that we would get into and the loungeroom with the bay window behind the couch that we would hide in and stare out of on rainy days. So many things for kids to see and do on that property. I really miss that place. It's long demolished now.

Another place I miss is Big Hill. It's still here but we can't go there now since the council are closing off areas and open-mining it for gold. It's a pity because the bushland around it was where we'd play when we were just out of school and we'd take short-cuts through it and climb and hide in the many small caves and there was a little 'valley' in the middle that would echo and that's where I had my first kiss. >///<

I also miss our first house when we moved to this area - it was the bomb. Had a huge packet of land and a large shed and lots of room, including a small paddock. It was a weird house but we had a lot of good times there.
The arcades center with the old altari 2600 games.
I also remember going to McDonalds and Six flags great adventure.
Just too many memories.

pretty damn good, delicious pizza

thanks

My family was dirt trash poor when I was growing up, and we lived in rural Newfoundland, so I don't really have any places from my childhood that I miss. I played in the woods and went on trips to the "old country" of outport communities, and if I really want to see that again I can literally walk 10 feet from my family house and be in the same forest again.

The thing I miss most are the awesome and inspiring dreams I used to have, although they crop up every now and then still.
author=kentona
gamingw.net

I’ll admit, I miss that place too… I just miss GZ and some of the others that I used to talk to on IRC. I bet some of them would be quite proud of how much I’ve turned myself around on here.

Oh yeah, speaking of McDonalds, I remember when I used to go there quite frequently as a kid. I actually haven’t stepped inside a McDonalds in almost nine years, can you believe it? I think that ever since I watched that Morgan Spurlock video, Super Size Me, that it put me off having any fast food forever. I rather just go make my own burgers; they taste a whole lot better. But I do remember the playareas that we used to play around in…that and when they used to serve pizza there. :)
Seiromem
I would have more makerscore If I did things.
I'm still here, and I have no doubts I'll miss this place.

Climbing through the laundry chute up into the bathroom when someone locked the doors and left will be the fondest. Especially when I locked it the second time just for an excuse to do it.
Pages: 1