NEW TO VX ACE AND JUST WANTED....

Pages: 1
some help with learning the basics there are so many places to look I literally have about 20 tabs open with tutorials and have no idea which is the best for beginners I realize many people ask for help on here , but I want to know what you guys can recommend that you have used when you were once a beginner.

I have used rpg maker 2003 before and can do a few basic things like make chest's and switches , I'm still confused on variables , and have absolutely no idea on how custom scripts work for VX ACE , For example if I wanted to use a custom side view battle system how would I use and add the script and where would the sprites go for the side view battlers seeing as there is no (character battle sets) in vx ace like in rpg maker 2003 so where do you add the sprites and would you still edit the characters stats in the normal Database seeing that your using a custom script.

I hope the next Rpg maker gives you a choice of battle systems lol.
I know for many of you it's as simple as clicking your fingers , but I find it hard to learn with so many tutorials all saying slightly different things makes it hard because then my brain says keep looking and then as I said I end up with many tabs with loads of tutorials.

any help would be greatly appreciated just a little push in the right direction.
I think the best course of action is to just create a game and see what you can make by yourself. Just experiment with the engine and make something short and playable, and keep trying new things as you go.

Definitely don't mess with adding scripts to a game yet. It could colour your perception of the engine, and doing it so early in your learning process isn't helping you learn things by yourself.

Basically, practice makes perfect. So go practice stuff. I'm sure some other members of the community can give you more in depth help with the engine, but I'm an artist, so I can't speak for that stuff.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
What Pizza said; also, I can't recommend Liberty's mapping tutorials enough. You can find them here, here, and here.

I would also recommend looking at the RM2k3 tutorials on understanding switches and variables since that information applies equally to VX Ace. In fact, these may be the most important tutorials you can use, because even when you just mess around, figuring out how things work, eventually you're going to start scratching your head and thinking, "Hmm, I'd like my character to be able to do this thing. That would be just the coolest shit, but I don't seem to see any event commands for cool shit." Well, there actually are cool shit event commands; we just call them "variables" and "switches" and sooner or later, you're going to have to understand how they work, so tutorials that deal with variables and switches are an absolute must, and like I said, feel free to look at the tutes for other RPG Makers because this is all mostly interchangeable info. You don't start to see the really major differences between engines until you get into really advanced stuff like scripting.
there are some fantastic build-along tutorials, but they all cover the same stuff. I personally enjoyed this one.

all in all, make sure that your first project is not overambitious. maybe make one town, one dungeon, and only a few other areas. Keep it simple, your goal is to learn the engine. your magnum opus can wait.
Thank you guys for the help very much appreciated :)
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

To put in a custom script just open up scripts and put in under material, above Main.

Side View battle = I suggest Yami. A google search should find this. And it doesn't require much knowledge to plug in scripts (well the easy ones at least.)

Variables are like control switches, but more complex. Because 1 Variable can to a multitude of tasks. ie. A variable = 1 is not the same as a variable = 2. (A simple thing to think of it... It's like money. You can keep gaining 1 dollar or you can also lose 1 dollar. Variables can be negative, they can be 0, the can be 1000.)

A variable can be equal to any number you want, and it can constantly change as you play the game. As you move from one square to another you could change the variable of the X and Y of the map for example.

(I have a tutorial on how to use variables. You should check it out.)

I was checking the demo of the ring of udrai And I was checking some of the text of the characters talking , and the male character says,
So this is \cAria\c, huh?

is this script ? why would you need to use script for talking ?

Also when the ship is sailing and docks in the upper left side of the screen the words WORLD MAP appear but I can't find the Event the shows it.

I know I sound very nooby.
author=liamx2000
I was checking the demo of the ring of udrai And I was checking some of the text of the characters talking , and the male character says,
So this is \cAria\c, huh?

is this script ? why would you need to use script for talking ?

Also when the ship is sailing and docks in the upper left side of the screen the words WORLD MAP appear but I can't find the Event the shows it.

I know I sound very nooby.

so for the text thing, there is a series of text commands that let you change the color of the text and any pauses you want between words and such. its like forum code to change things to italics and whatnot.

the text on the top is a thing in the map screen. when you have the map settings screen it'll have the map's name on the top left and underneath it is a display name that you can change that will show when the player enters the map

its all explained in the pdf, just keep going through
GOOOOOO FUCK YOURSELF- Liberty~<3
(directed at this spam bot, not you, fellow real peeps ;p)
GOOO FUCK YOURSELF LIBERTY~<3
...is what I read.
Pages: 1