[RM2K3] WHAT DO YOU LIKE BEST ABOUT 2K3?

Pages: first prev 1234 last
author=Corti
author=fdelapena
No.
Plugins/Scripts, not the language the tools where made with.

Well, 2k3 C++ plugins are not official and definitely breaks portability. They are not compatible with official 1.10 (and I hope this should remain as is). If you want custom C++ is better to hack EasyRPG Player instead, it won't break the game portability and won't break the RM2k3 EULA.
Personally I liked how 2k3 had so much more support and still kind of has a lot. It means that many games on it are going to be complete and and less buggy as well as higher quality in gameplay. That being said this would be what a non dev likes about it.
That it's now legit. :DDD

Man the amount of times I wanted to post something about it being out commercially in this thread is OVER 9000!
Magi
Resident Terrapin
Hi. 2K3 once was very prolific because at the time, few game authoring tools existed with such robust features and an ease of use. The community was also a big part of what made it good. It was stupid and awful, but filled with intrepid dreamers, fearless to use graphics ripped straight from Secret of Mana and re-brand them as "Korg's Deadly Adventure". I coveted that world, I suppose. It's been lost now, and as to what became of its inhabitants, none remain who know.

author=GreatRedSpirit
It always feels like just another RM game but with a cheap coat of paint to make it look like, relatively speaking, a cheap Chinese knock off of Tresures of the Rudra.

yeah, well, you're a cheaper chinese knock-off of treasure of the rudras >:o
The main advantage, in my opinion, is that it's easier to make graphical assets. As a result, there are many different tiles and characters, while RMVXAce has all assets done in RTP style, which makes all games look similar.
author=Magi
author=GreatRedSpirit
It always feels like just another RM game but with a cheap coat of paint to make it look like, relatively speaking, a cheap Chinese knock off of Tresures of the Rudra.
yeah, well, you're a cheaper chinese knock-off of treasure of the rudras >:o

Oh snap!
What an exciting discussion!

I don't think most players really care about rips too much as a concept. Don't tons of people still play/download/talk about Hero's Realm?
Yeah, tbh it's funny re-reading this topic in light of the recent news.

I can definitely understand why Nessiah was coming across as such a proponent for players adopting more "original" resources. With her involvement in the official release, it's clear which direction she hopes for the community to go in. I can definitely see that becoming the norm going forward, with even RM2k3 projects becoming more commercialized and visually distinct... and obviously I'm all for it.

But on the other hand, we shouldn't forget our roots as a community, or insist every game of the past 12 years has been somehow inferior, or "creatively bankrupt" simply by virtue of using rips. Those are the comments I take issue with... If anything, these developers deserve a lot of credit for putting years of their lives into their games, and gave them away for FREE. Hopefully that same passion continues into the next crop of RM users.
I think both points can be considered, but it depends on where you're coming from and what you want out of this.

If you're using RM to make a commercial game, or using RM as a milestone to professional or indie game making, then yeah, you're going to want to make a game on all of your own merit. Heavy use of rips on a project you're trying to get taken super seriously or sell for money is an obvious no go.

If you're a hobbyist or just making a game for the fucks of it, yeah, do whatever you want, honestly. If your goal is to do some cool stuff with some ideas in your head but overall it's for shits and gigs you'll still get a good amount of people to play it.

I don't defend rips in my game; I'm doing this for fun, and you don't like it, well, whatever. I am sure I make more morally ambiguous decisions on a daily basis than 'using FF6 rips or not' so I don't get torn up about it.
@Addit - I took the liberty of removing the image macro you used in your post that was against site rules. Please, keep this in mind in the future - image macros are only allowed in the Welp board, not on the normal forum area.

Honestly, I'm still gonna play a good game if it's got rips in it, as long as it's not commercial or claiming that said rips are original assets (people have done that and it's so stupid. Dude, we know where they came from. We KNOW you didn't make those graphics. Quit trying to claim them as your own. >.<; )

I don't look down on games with rips. I've used rips. I prefer the RTP but I've still used rips and the only thing wrong with that is a morality issue. Frankly, some games look better for having rips, not gonna deny.
It's hard to say... I prefer 16 bit over the 32 bit that XP and Ace use ... in other-words 16x16 VS 32x32.
But without being able to use more than 256 colors, the tilesets I make look like crap as I am used to using a lot of color and shading even in 16x16 tiles.
One thing irking me when I bring it up is people telling me there's no point having more than 256 colors, and I STRONGLY disagree.
Really hoping the next RPG Maker goes back to smaller resolutions..
I feel 2003 should have just kept being expanded on over the years.
I can anwser pretty simply.

Ironically, it's because I can actually code.

Later RPG Maker engines I feel are too limited in functionality without in-depth coding but limit me too much when I want to properly code. So when I really want to create a game via coding, I use a more free flow/from scratch engine/maker (Game Maker and others).

I use RPG Maker specifically to make RPGs and to cut down on the need for coding up an engine from scratch, focusing on basic battle mechanics, level design, and story instead.

RPG Maker 2000/2003 feels perfect because it is the most powerful in terms of events and non-pure coding. Though later RPG Makers give me direct coding access, their hard limits make me dislike them compared to a more free flow engine and their limited events and features compared to past RPG Makers make them inferior without the use of said scripts.

This is not to say the new RPG Makers don't have their uses ; people have made some impressive scripts for them.

But generally, this is my reasons for going with older engines as a whole.
author=MewMewPsychic
I can anwser pretty simply.

Ironically, it's because I can actually code.

Later RPG Maker engines I feel are too limited in functionality without in-depth coding but limit me too much when I want to properly code. So when I really want to create a game via coding, I use a more free flow/from scratch engine/maker (Game Maker and others).

Is this why some games on earlier makers have so much more custom content systems and mechanics wise? Because coders can do more with them?
Also really it was just about anything being custom was also more likely made by the person making the game. There wasn't any way to "give a man a fish" so to speak, only to "teach a man to fish" because importing a CBS was more trouble than it was worth. Kind of an irony I guess.
I really like the appeal of other developer's games for this engine. It's really astounding to see and get a feel of that creativity that people put into their games. Rips or not, anything that I see that looks like hard work or really creative is easily applaudable in my book. Everyone and their ideas/thoughts are all unique after all! :)

I'd say one thing the official English release for 2K3 will (hopefully) do, is encourage people to actually try and customize their games without relying on scripts, and maybe realizing that (outside of some missing features) the same can be done for XP, VX, and Ace.

In fact, the inclusion of scripts on the later makers should have been treated as a bonus add-on to enhance projects even further with heavy focus still on custom events, rather than the sole reliance of scripts.

2K/3 may be old news, but as a person who prefers to use events and doesn't like to rely solely on scripts, I've learned quite a number of things in eventing from 2K/3 that I've even tested and implemented in VX and Ace... many of which are often requested via scripting.
Pages: first prev 1234 last