[RMXP] JAPANESE TEXT NOT DISPLAYABLE

Pages: 1
Hello, I use RPGXP 1.05a and I tried to display Japanese in an event using the game they give you to start and make tests. The Japanese is not displayed but instead there is squares. So I search for a solution and set my default font with one on my computer which is supposed to work, Meiryo.
I added > Font.default_name = "Meiryo" < in Script's Main.
Now the text is invisible everywhere...

One more symptom is if I write in Japanese in the Script Editor, the Japanese is displayed but if I write a Text command the text has a problem of encoding (in the List of Event Commands) and is pure gibberish. More funny is if I edit that text, the box which popped-up display the Japanese as it should be...

PS: I also heard you can import your own font inside the game and like that players don't need to have the font installed. How can I do that?

Thank you for your help.

Edit: I forgot to say that my computer is set on Japanese and my OS is Seven.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I put some Chinese text into one of my games and haven't had any issues with this. And I haven't used any custom fonts / scripts, just the one available in Ace.

Edit:

Include custom fonts in a separate folder when you encrypt your game. Players will go there and install them themselves.
Well, you don't ask people to install the font of your game themselves, it's not professional.
And you use Ace when I use XP like in the tag in my title. The newer version must have closed the encoding situation and that may explain why you don't have issue with Chinese.

For my other questions, I solved my problem alone but I will copy/paste my answer here if someone has the same problem.

author=Me
The solution was to use the Japanese version of RPGM XP. The English version can't apparently manage Japanese properly.
About the invisible text, it's because Windows didn't give me the right name of the fonts. It was not Meiryo as indicated in the folder but メイリオ. Better check the real name of your windows font by looking into the font file. The real name will be displayed here.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
In RPG Maker XP, if you want to include your own font, you need to make your own installer instead of using the built-in method of creating an installer. I use Inno Setup for that.

I have the same problem as you setting my RMXP game's font to Meiryo, even if I used its Japanese name. Not sure why. It's worth noting that Meiryo is not included with Windows XP, though, so if you want to avoid having to package a font with your game, you should use MS Gothic instead. MS Gothic is included in all versions of Windows from Windows 2000 up through Windows 8, and is expected to be included in Windows 10. It doesn't look quite as nice but it does display Japanese.

Font.default_name = "MS Gothic"
works properly, but
$defaultfonttype = $fontface = $fontname = Font.default_name = "MS Gothic"
will change your font more completely. Please don't ask me why RPG Maker XP has four different variables that control the font face. Some scripts may still ignore this and use a font that's specified in the script.

Also, if you only need Japanese text in one message box, you shouldn't put that line in Main. You should put it in a script call right before the message box. And then do another script call afterwards to change the font back to Arial or whatever.
Pages: 1