WHAT'S THE FIRST VIDEOGAME YOU'VE EVER PLAYED?

Pages: first 12 next last
Seiromem
I would have more makerscore If I did things.
What's the game that you first played? Do you think it affected your life in any way, by introducing you to gaming or anything else? Do you think it truly matter what your first played game was?

The first game I can recall playing was Age Of Empires II. I played it when I was around 4. I asked my parents practically every day if I could play the computer, simply because I was curious about what to do with it. Most likely after some rapid clicking I started AoE II and played in it. I played it nearly every day after that, and soon I was playing the rest of my brothers' games. I know there's something to say about me loving a Real-time strategy game (I obviously played on the easiest difficulty) that young, but I don't now what it is =X
I honestly don't think it mattered that I played that first, however. Back then I didn't expect videogames to be anything but fun.
I think it was Super Breakout for the Atari 2600. Or maybe Pitfall! for the Commodore 64. My memory is a little fuzzy.
The first game I played was on an Atari computer at the age of 2 and a half. I can't remember a thing about it! And it is only by chance that mum told me.

But I grew up with games likes Commander Keen, Heroes of Might and Magic, those great sims like Sim Ant, Sim City 2000 and Rollercaster Tycoon. And of course Age of Empires, Ceaser III, Pharaoh .. and later N64 titles, Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask as favorites - and Spyro.

I've loved game since I can remember and think. Spyro definitely made me go on a dragon love rampage. I don't think the first game mattered as much, although it does influence your patience and take on gaming.
If you are used to certain genre and production value, it takes some time to appreciate different ones later on. But as a kid? Hand me anything and I'll play it.

More than anything else, I've always believed that you either love gaming or you don't. And the moment I touched gaming, I knew I did. My family is into it as a whole, whether they spend much time on it or not, so it wasn't strange for me in any way.
Gamer blood is gamer blood and remains gamer blood.
I was totally blown away by Super Mario Bros back in 1987. I remember telling my older brother's friend that I would never ever get bored of playing it. (Turns out I was wrong). I also got a copy of Dragon Warrior with my subscription to Nintendo Power - but I doubt this influenced me in any meaningful way...

A few years later I was blown away by one of the greatest games ever made: Super Mario Bros. 3
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
The original Super Mario Bros. My parents picked up an NES so my dad could play Golf, and they like to describe my first reaction to seeing a video game as "entranced". I s'pose that's telling~
I think mine was 2-player Pong on the Atari? It was a loooong-ass time ago. Oh, wait! There was a hand-held Donkey Kong game that we had when I was about 8 or 9. You know, with little pixel man dodging barrels to save the lady-love from an enraged ape? Yeah, I think that was my first.
I know a neighbour had some kind of Pong and that I played it. I think most of my early gaming came from that neighbour. They had a machine with games in it that I got to try. They also had some PC where I played (or tried) Alley Cat, King's Quest (that might have been another neighbour at another time, I know my cousin had King's Quest) and Prince of Persia.

In kindergarten we were also the cool kids group with Game & Watch games. I remember one guy had the two-screen Donkey Kong and that was highly sought after. But also Donkey Kong Jr.

I also know that by the time I got my own NES I had played NES games. But I have little memory of which ones.

I can't specifically put these in any order (for example I have vivid memories of Prince of Persia as a kid, but apparently that game didn't come out until 1989).

Basically always video games. In kindergarten I spent so many crayons and pieces of paper drawing up platforming levels.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Jill of the Jungle 3: Jill Saves the Prince, soon followed by Duke Nukem, Theme Park, Lemmings and King's Quest IV-VII.

I wasn't that big into gaming, although I enjoyed it as something to do with friends, until I was around 13. I'd play games but we'd spend just as much time doing stuff outside or playing with hotwheels or w/e. When I was 13 I got a PS2 and Final Fantasy X-2, which I am positive has actually influenced me greatly. I still have a soft spot for platformers, but I now love to play and make wacky RPGs.
The first game I remember beating is Kirby's Adventure for NES
The lasting effect could be that I like cute games more than gritty ones.

But my earliest memories of games was watching my brother playing Final Fantasy I and IV which at the time was labeled as Final Fantasy II.
THe lasting effect is that I love RPGs.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
My memory is fuzzy on this one, but I think it was either Sonic the Hedgehog 3 or Oregon Trail... Or maybe it was Minesweeper?

I've always been more of a PC gamer since my parents wouldn't allow me to own a home console until I was 10 years old.
I'm fairly certain that the first game I remember playing was Spiderman: Return of the Sinister Six on Nintendo. I still haven't gone back to check, but I remember being Spiderman and a brown brick wall. That's literally all I remember. I think we borrowed the NES from a relative or something, because I never owned an NES until a few years ago.

I must have been like 4 at the time, so my memory is understandably a little hazy.

The first game I remember owning and playing at considerable length was Paper Mario on N64, probably when I was 6 or 7 years old. Along with Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie and FF7 it was one of the games that got me into the idea of game development, and it had a huge impact on me. It's still my favourite game of all time.

It think that Paper Mario really awakened my love of worldbuilding. I used to love exploring the Mushroom Kingdom as a kid, and discovering secret stuff, creating items, all of that shit. Every new world I unlocked brought a whole other dimension into what I thought was possible in games. I remember that I used to look at the backdrops of mountains and stuff and wonder what was out there, which is a little silly, but probably goes to show why I love worldbuilding and art so much nowadays.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
This and Dyna Blaster:
I don't remember. At home we had SMB 1-3, Metroid, Double Dragon 1-2, Megaman 2-3, Castlevania 1-3... It probably was one of those.
I also used to rent a lot of games when I was 6-7 and stumbled upon many turds.
Trying out new games you never had heard of was fun in itself though. The internet didn't exist back then and Nintendo Power didn't cover every single title. You looked at the cover art and screenshots on the back and rented/bought the game if it looked good, then hoped the gameplay was good too.

My brothers bought new NES games regularly. At first they did not want me to play Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy, Crystalis, etc. so I wouldn't delete their saved games, but also because they thought I wouldn't understand English at that age (French is my native language), which was true but I could still understand how to use commands and items and stuff and be able to play. I fell in love with the RPG genre early on.
Ooooooooouuuufffff. That's a tough one. I trolled around on video games before I even knew what I was doing lol. My brother's a good 5 years older than me, so when I was at the wee age where I could walk around and see stuff my bro would have been 8-10 and already way in to video games. So I watched him from a super young age and he's an awesome brother who was patient and let me watch and ask questions *Was a very lucky kid*

I mostly remember the first NES Godzilla game and FF1, so I'm assuming one of them were the first ones I played. First game though, I don't think matters too much in situations where one is too young to grasp what's going on. That's just taking a step in to the gaming world.
My first game that I remember anyway was Super Mario Bros. 2 on the NES.It doesn't really matter what game i played first.I was hooked.I think the most important game that I ever played was The Legend of Zelda:Ocarina of Time.To see a world fully rendered like that at the age of six had a big impact on my perception of life as a gamer.
Backwards_Cowboy
owned a Vita and WiiU. I know failure
I vaguely remember a Super Mario game. I don't know if it was NES or SNES, and for all I know it might have been one of the early Donkey Kong games. My real dad was really into technology and video games, so I imagine that's how I got into it.
The original Super Mario Bros. for the NES was the first video game that I ever played back then when I was around 4 years old, which was waaaaay back in 1989. (...God I’m old.)

I originally got to play it when my family and I took a trip to our local Costco to go buy some groceries. While my mom was doing all the shopping and stuff, my dad took me around to look in the electronics section to see what they had over there. There I saw and played the very, very first video game that I ever played and I had never experienced anything quite like it at the time... The music, the colors, the addicting gameplay…it was so extraordinary for its day that even when my mom came to pick us up after she initially finished shopping and we had to go - I just didn’t want to go; I loved playing that game so much.

So a couple of months later my dad managed to purchase a NES with a copy of Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt packaged together…and I was happy.

What a great way to get introduced into the world of gaming at that time. I couldn’t ask for a better introduction into it.
Probably Lemmings ( early 90s ). I still have fond memories of that addictive, frustratingly fun game. And I loved the music for some reason. Wolfenstein I played back in 95-96 with Jazz the JackRabbit along with Doom, Age of Empires II and Ceaser III. And WarCraft II ( yeah, I played more FPS/RTS games when I was younger ). My foray into RPGs only started in 2001. Unbelievably, I can count the number of the ones I completed on one hand...
Super Mario World or Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. I definitely played some PC games before that, but I couldn't tell you what they were apart from ~Mixed Up Mother Goose~ and an ANIMATED MEMORY GAME~ that came on an ol' floppy disc.

Defs have clearer memories of my console days, because I was a little older when I first played those. <W<
Deltree
doesn't live here anymore
Astrosmash, on the Intellivision. Had to have been around 1987. I was mesmerized by the way the background would change colors whenever you reached certain score limit, though my lack of fine motor skills means I never got past the "gray" level. Also, Cisco wore an Astrosmash t-shirt on The Flash two weeks ago, which secretly delighted me.
Pages: first 12 next last