WHAT'S THE FIRST VIDEOGAME YOU'VE EVER PLAYED?

Pages: first prev 12 last
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I feel like I answered this elsewhere, but, Might and Magic - Secret of the Inner Sanctum on the Commodore 64 back in, uh, 1987 or 1986? Though, if you really want to be technical about it, I seem to recall playing a chess game on, uh, something, I'm not sure what it was, before we got our C64.

*Edit: Though, to be fair, M&M, as a series, has had a pretty huge influence on me, if for no other reason because my username comes from a character made in M&M1!
The first game I've played? If I remember correctly, it was the original Contra :)

It was what made me love Stage-mode-style games.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
Ultima VII and the original Warcraft, if I remember right. Lots of Doom when that started up, as well.
The original Super Mario Brothers on NES was the first one that I remember, though my pops says that I played Pong on the Atari before that (I was 3 when I played Super Mario Brothers, but I apparently played Pong before then. Can't say I remember it though...). I honestly can't even remember what all NES games I used to have, we ended up selling the old NES and NES games when folks bought me the SNES years later (sucks too, those would've sold for good money. But back then we really need the money. Letting the NES go for $50 is a killer though...).

Always been a gamer since then, but in recent years I've been gaming a bit less and less. Games nowadays just don't catch my attention like they once did, and even worse as new consoles and games come out. I feel like a lot of the charm in games have come and gone, which makes me sad. I kinda miss those feels I got when playing such games like Final Fantasy VII for the first time (my god, when I first saw a buddy of mine play that I was entranced, and then when I finally got to play it for myself at a friend's, I played all night long and almost half a day afterwards before pops came over to bring me home) and Super Mario RPG. I really miss those days...).

And that's the story of an old man and his video games~
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
My first game was A Link to the Past. I know this, because I thought I had beaten the game once I killed the wizard dude. But no, I opened up that map in the Dark World and was all like "SEVEN MORE DUNGEONS?! THIS IS BULLSHIT!!" I didn't actually say 'bullshit' but it sure felt like it was so. Three dungeons was hard enough for any poor child of four years old.
Super Mario World (exciting and obscure choice - I know!) is the first I can remember. Well, sorta-remember. According to my parents I'd try to get them to play it since my 3-year-old self didn't have the motor skills to get anywhere. I'd also apparently cry whenever Mario died because OMG A MAN JUST DIED THAT'S TRAGIC. Admittedly, I suppose imagining being burnt alive by lava, impaled with spikes, or devoured by koopas and such would be pretty horrifying to think about at that age.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=Isrieri
My first game was A Link to the Past. I know this, because I thought I had beaten the game once I killed the wizard dude. But no, I opened up that map in the Dark World and was all like "SEVEN MORE DUNGEONS?! THIS IS BULLSHIT!!" I didn't actually say 'bullshit' but it sure felt like it was so. Three dungeons was hard enough for any poor child of four years old.

You could progress through games when you were four? I remember not even being able to clear the Mysterious Woods in LoZ: Link's Awakening when I was five years old.
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
author=Ratty524
You could progress through games when you were four? I remember not even being able to clear the Mysterious Woods in LoZ: Link's Awakening when I was five years old.

Well it took me a long, long time to get around to doing anything at all in the Dark World. I don't think I beat the game until I was 6 or 7.

Also yeah, the Mysterious Woods had me stuck too. How was I supposed to know you had to sprinkle powder on him?! And before that, I didn't know how to get the sword so I just wandered around talking to everyone, thinking that was the game.
Super Mario World was the first videogame I played around age 6
closely followed by LTTP and Super Mario Rpg around age 8,
The graphics on the Snes console was amazing. It got me addicted
into playing for long stretches of time without giving a damn about
the rest of the world. Before that my passion used to be counting
and multiplying extremely large numbers.
Division came natural to me by age 4.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I think probably Space Invaders or Pac-Man on Atari 2600. Or maybe it was something on Commodore 64. All I can really do is point to the games I have early memories of, like Pitfall and Advanced Dungeons and Dragons on the Intellivision, Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego, Tass Times in Tone Town, A Bard's Tale, and Knights of Legend on Apple IIc, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom on C64. As for the games that influenced me, I would have to really point to Space Rogue and Dragon Warrior (Dragon Quest, I suppose).
yuno44907
Bcause of i am too smart
Super Mario
author=Seiromem
What's the game that you first played? Do you think it affected your life in any way, by introducing you to gaming or anything else? Do you think it truly matter what your first played game was?

The first game I can recall playing was Age Of Empires II. I played it when I was around 4. I asked my parents practically every day if I could play the computer, simply because I was curious about what to do with it. Most likely after some rapid clicking I started AoE II and played in it. I played it nearly every day after that, and soon I was playing the rest of my brothers' games. I know there's something to say about me loving a Real-time strategy game (I obviously played on the easiest difficulty) that young, but I don't now what it is =X
I honestly don't think it mattered that I played that first, however. Back then I didn't expect videogames to be anything but fun.

I think my first game was Super Mario World 3. If I remember correctly, I'd spent a lot of time watching others play a bunch of different NES games before venturing to try for myself. I, personally, don't think it has impacted my life in any way, maybe not noticeably (I have been known to be attracted to trying some really obscure games. Alfred the Chicken and Alex Kidd, to name two..... yeesh! The psychodellic world of Mario may have done something to my brain).

That aside, I applaude you for a great choice in a first game! Age of Empires II is a classic that I still find time to go back and play.
I'm not sure if it was the first game, but the first RPG I played, in 1999 when I was ~5 was Final Fantasy VII. And the first RPG I beat (when I was ~8) was Final Fantasy Mystic Quest! Shortly after, I got to the final boss of Final Fantasy IV but didn't actually see the ending. Haha. Also, I asked my dad a GBA and a Pokemon cart... He bought me ?Pokemon Pinball. Shortly after mom bought me a Pokemon Blue cart... It was bugged and wouldn't get past the first part w/o freezing. And then I was robbed. I hate pokemon.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
The first game I beat was FlatOut 2 (a Finnish racing game) in age of 15 and the first rpg was Gothic 3 when I was seventeen. I was playing HoMaM 3 since it's release (I was four), but never finished it until recently. I remember playing the second installment before too.
Hmmmmmm, the earliest I can remember is Dracula on the sega genesis. Scared my sister so much she tossed it. lol
Hmmm, I'm not good with remembering things at all. I think my first Super mario bros on the NES my grandparents still had theirs(which was my dad and my uncle's when they were young)when I was born so I got to play plenty of NES games. But I don't know for sure. I had been playing video games since I was like 2 and still in diapers.
Pages: first prev 12 last