CHECKING INTEREST FOR MCBACON JAM #2

Pages: first 123456 next last
Zeigfried_McBacon
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Ok, so I've been saying there was going to be another McBacon Jam and I'd like to make that so. Of course, potential entrant feedback is needed, so, I'll lay down the basics I had in mind and We can all bounce ideas back and forth.

*Sometime in August or September.
*2-3 Weeks, no extensions.
*Unlike last time, no reserves
*Any engine is fine
*No restrictions on resources used
*Team setups cannot be the exact same as they were in #1
*2-4 people to a team
*May lift the 1 team limit, provided that whoever does join several teams works it out with their teams AND bears in mind that they wont be able to have those same team setups in future mcbacon jams.
*Begins when theme is announced, as last time
*Theme will likely be a duality, again.

UPDATE:
*Will use a "pool" for people who want to try things in a more "random" fashion in place of what was reserves.
*You may only be on 1 team.

CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
*Team setups cannot be the exact same as they were in #1

I am down, although can we change it to nobody can team with anyone they teamed with last time? It'll mix up the teams even more and I think it's totes poss. It'll encourage more duos, which means more games. Although bigger teams means less work (supposedly).

*May lift the 1 team limit, provided that whoever does join several teams works it out with their teams AND bears in mind that they wont be able to have those same team setups in future mcbacon jams.

Please don't. 1 team per person. It's hard enough working on one game, and it'll eliminate frustrations by team members saying that person who is working in 2 teams isn't working hard enough, it might lead to team pullouts, and these people will underestimate the amount of work it takes to even get 1 team's game released.

*Theme will likely be a duality, again.

That is good. The last theme was one of the best contest themes I've seen; it was the perfect balance between vague yet specific.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I do agree with Cash about disallowing people from joining more than one team.

I also really liked the original idea of being forced to form a team of people you've never worked with before; I would be completely in favor of this being a recurring aspect of all McBacon Jams.
Magi
Resident Terrapin
There are so many gamejams on the internet that this time it would really need something standout about it.. You need a draw or a twist, something that will really get people on-board.

What if... This bacon, sieg friar thing, or whatever it's called, had a clause where you had to work with people you didn't particularly like? Some members don't like anybody, so it could be very easy to hammer out a few initial teams. It could test the limits of cooperation and be very fascinating to see what kinds of short projects emerge, chiefly produced by the power of contempt for another human being.

Let me know what you think.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=Magi
What if... This bacon, sieg friar thing, or whatever it's called, had a clause where you had to work with people you didn't particularly like? Some members don't like anybody, so it could be very easy to hammer out a few initial teams. It could test the limits of cooperation and be very fascinating to see what kinds of short projects emerge, chiefly produced by the power of contempt for another human being.

How exactly do you like someone you've never worked with before? That is to say, you wouldn't dislike them, but you'd be ambivalent until you actually work with them. I think that challenge is more or less a given with this event.

Anyway, I'd be down for a #2 just because I've never worked with another person to successfully create a game, and because I missed out on the first one. :P
Magi
Resident Terrapin
Not everybody is friends on an internet forum, and some people just don't mesh well at all. It would be a very novel and unique take on the game jam to assemble some of these people into the same teams. Who knows, some people may even emerge from it as... Friends.

Disclaimer edit: I can't be held responsible if heated rivalries tear a team apart. I hope that everybody here would be nice enough to release me from all accountability regarding that!
CashmereCat
author=Magi
Not everybody is friends on an internet forum, and some people just don't mesh well at all. It would be a very novel and unique take on the game jam to assemble some of these people into the same teams. Who knows, some people may even emerge from it as... Friends.

What I would do for a Craze/BlindMind collab...

Edit: We might even have our first instance of Schroedinger's game... a game that's both finished and never finished at the same time.
Zeigfried_McBacon
author=LockeZ
I do agree with Cash about disallowing people from joining more than one team.

I also really liked the original idea of being forced to form a team of people you've never worked with before; I would be completely in favor of this being a recurring aspect of all McBacon Jams.

Well, If there's enough people who are cool with a semi-random setup, I'll be sure to run one like that every so often, though there may be a few other criteria before Id go for that variant being ran.

author=Magi

Disclaimer edit: I can't be held responsible if heated rivalries tear a team apart. I hope that everybody here would be nice enough to release me from all accountability regarding that!

In the event enough people actually demand and agree to something that absurd, consider yourself totally immune! XD

author=CashmereCat

Whem a LockeZ/Craze was suggested, I figured that of all things would be interesting to see at some point.
I think it'd be cool to have it fully random but I do understand why it wouldn't be a good idea, though people should use their fire and annoyance and channel it into the game instead of at each other. You know, the whole 'learn to get over your own idiocy and feelings and create something awesome together, despite how much you don't like each other'.

I'm all up for it, any team!
I would definitely participate.I need to get used to working with different people.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
The first Jam was a lot of fun and a great learning experience, but to be honest it was also rather stressful. Still, if it's planned to be set in September I might actually participate, since I have time during that month.
And I know this might sound a bit opportunistic (though it's not intended to be), but whether I participate or not might also depend on who else signs up. Because personally, I do not like the idea of being forced into a team with people I don't actually feel I could productively work together with.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I would almost prefer the opportunity to use McBacon Jam #2 to get my team together again to finish off our McBacon Jam #1 entry. Though, since the purpose of these events is to work with people you've never worked before, I can understand this not being allowed.

Saying that, I may not be a huge fan of being assigned a team either, but, if there isn't anybody teaming together (either because they are too shy/embarrassed to ask, or what-have-you), then I would leave the option open as a threat.
unity
You're magical to me.
I'm all for another crazy team contest XD :D

author=Liberty
I think it'd be cool to have it fully random but I do understand why it wouldn't be a good idea, though people should use their fire and annoyance and channel it into the game instead of at each other. You know, the whole 'learn to get over your own idiocy and feelings and create something awesome together, despite how much you don't like each other'.

Here's an idea: What if you had the option to join a "Randomized Pool?" People who join that pool are put into teams at random, while the rest of the people formed their own teams normally. Last time we seemed to have a big stall in that people couldn't ask others to join their teams. If people who aren't comfortable with asking others can put themselves in the Random Pool, maybe that would alleviate that problem plus get some teams that wouldn't come about otherwise :D
CashmereCat
We did have a randomized pool of reserves last time.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=CashmereCat

Oh yeah, that was what the Reserves was. ^^;;; I feel like the biggest airhead ever right now, inventing something we totally had last time XD
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
well considering i got kinda screwed over last time i'm hesitant to sign up again (also i'm gone until over halfway through august). i do think magi's idea is amusing though.

Whem a LockeZ/Craze was suggested, I figured that of all things would be interesting to see at some point.

while i'm not necessarily against this in the future, lockez and i have very different philosophies when it comes to both the mechanics of games and the game world itself. i'm not sure it would be very healthy!

sure? i mean, i have squabbled with bm and don't really like his game all that much but there are far worse people who have found their way onto rmn who i would flat-out refuse to work with. (sorry if that's not the uncivil and disgusted answer you wanted.)
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Craze
well considering i got kinda screwed over last time i'm hesitant to sign up again

;_; I can certainly understand that.

Last time I pretty much went with the first team set-up that was available XD I think this time I should be more patient and see who all wants to work with me and what team setup they have in mind.
Zeigfried_McBacon
author=CashmereCat
Not quite. Reserve was more of a support thing than a proper randomization.
author=unity
I'm all for another crazy team contest XD :D

author=Liberty

Here's an idea: What if you had the option to join a "Randomized Pool?" People who join that pool are put into teams at random, while the rest of the people formed their own teams normally. Last time we seemed to have a big stall in that people couldn't ask others to join their teams. If people who aren't comfortable with asking others can put themselves in the Random Pool, maybe that would alleviate that problem plus get some teams that wouldn't come about otherwise :D

I suppose I could convert reserves into "The random pool". It'd probably end up being less work than reserves.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
I'm definitely interested! I might be busy, though. I'll see if I can when it rolls around.

I'm really tempted to use Unity this time, since I've been neck-deep in VX Ace for a while. I'm not sure how that'd affect teams.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
@slash: I have no idea how many people work with Unity, or how that would effect people wanting to work with you. However, since you worked with her last time, you cannot work with unity! NOOOOOO!

</badjoke>
Pages: first 123456 next last