THE UNPOPULAR OPINION THREAD

Pages: first 123 next last
We all have opinions. Some are better than others. Some are more informed than others. Some just ain't popular.

What are your unpopular opinions.

One that I have is that I've no issue with product placement in movies/tv shows unless they're extremely blatant or out of place. I know a lot of people will complain about, say, lambourghinis being in Transformers or stuff like that but it makes sense if we're to believe it's set in our world (if I were a Transformer I'd pick a fast-ass car, too! Porsches over landrovers, sorry~)

If a show is set in our world, having a coke or adidas runners show up just makes sense. It's our world and it - for me - adds a sense of familiarity/depth/realism to the world in the show.

It's actually really weird for me when I see some off-brand name of cola or something. It pulls me out of the show and I get annoyed like 'Really? Never heard of it. Why not just add a can of coke instead?'. It literally makes me break my belief in the world of the movie.

I mean, I can understand if it's Lord of the Rings and suddenly there's a pair of Converse just slapped on someone's feet, but in the real world I'd be like 'oh, runners, right whatevs' and move on. It's just really jarring at times not to have the product placement.

Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
I don't think many people have issues with non-blatant product placement...

Here's my unpopular opinion: The single biggest disease on the planet is aging, and ideas such as 'aging gracefully', 'accepting your fate' and 'reaching the end of your path in life' are all bullshit.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
I (at least partially) disagree with you both. What a surprise. ^_^

Now, I have one I'm sure I'm going to get flak for from you, Liberty, so here goes:
In most cases, I do not like it when (former) hobbyist (RPG Maker) game creators decide to go commercial. From what I've seen so far, this decision often results in having to compromise one's own work, because suddenly it isn't about expressing and realising your own dreams and ideas any more, but about pleasing a target audience whose money you want/need. It becomes business instead of something you do for fun, and it's not surprising if creators get discouraged and give up, or their audience loses interest. Also, one failed commercial game can have much more grave consequences (like having expended saved money for resources etc.) and might cause a developer to give up game making forever.

I mean, I get the idea behind wanting to make a living by being creative. But one of the reasons why I'm so fond of the free indie game concept is that it's, well, free. These games are surrounded by a discourse that is indeed free, where everyone can participate, where thoughts can be exchanged and concepts can be changed without the constant financial pressure. In my opinion, that is an important aspect of what creativity should be about.

Sure, there definitely are exceptions. But in 80% of the cases, if I were to always blatantly say what I'm thinking (which, of course, I don't actually want to do), I would discourage game makers from going commercial.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Considering this site only contains about 20% commercial games, I don't think yours is an unpopular opinion, NeverSilent. Here's an unpopular opinion: I think more devs should go commercial.

From my limited experience at least, not much really has to change if you're making a commercial game depending on how you go about it. I've been reading some white papers and stories from devs with commercial products, and some don't really start marketing until the product is near completion. And then you have to go through the process of getting your game tested, which ensures a higher quality product. That is never a bad thing under any circumstances. That's not to say that I think there should be less free games. Far from it. But I really wish I could support some devs in a more material way than just praise. For some devs, though, that's enough.

I do draw a line about going AAA, though. Then, you are at the mercy of your boss, forced to crunch, have your creativity stifled, and generally be miserable. That needs to change.

Just as an aside: Going commercial is a lot more laid back than you'd think. Yes, there's a lot more things you'll have to do, but depending on who you have to back you, it won't feel like work.
I believe that 1/2 people staying at home instead of working would solve a lot of our problems. We don't need everyone to work anymore what with our efficient machines taking over many jobs (and jobs being taken over by machines are only going to increase in the future) and this would leave all these people time to pursue whatever they want, such as gam mak. Obviously it would not be the same 1/2 people being free all the time.
Where would these people get money, you ask? Steal the money from the richest people, and/or force a maximum salary, the same way there is a lowest salary.
author=YM
Here's my unpopular opinion: The single biggest disease on the planet is aging, and ideas such as 'aging gracefully', 'accepting your fate' and 'reaching the end of your path in life' are all bullshit.

There are a lot of serious real world sociological, economical, and environmental issues to longer human lifespans that we are just beginning to deal with (baby boomers being the prime example) that we have to seriously examine and figure out before everyone is just like "live forever yay!".

Overpopulation is just the first and easiest one that people can think of. There are tons more.

author=SnowOwl
Where would these people get money, you ask? Steal the money from the richest people, and/or force a maximum salary, the same way there is a lowest salary.

Uh, nah, that wouldn't work. The idea of basic income, however, is something that some people are examining.
author=NeverSilent
I (at least partially) disagree with you both. What a surprise. ^_^

Now, I have one I'm sure I'm going to get flak for from you, Liberty, so here goes:
In most cases, I do not like it when (former) hobbyist (RPG Maker) game creators decide to go commercial. From what I've seen so far, this decision often results in having to compromise one's own work, because suddenly it isn't about expressing and realising your own dreams and ideas any more, but about pleasing a target audience whose money you want/need. It becomes business instead of something you do for fun, and it's not surprising if creators get discouraged and give up, or their audience loses interest. Also, one failed commercial game can have much more grave consequences (like having expended saved money for resources etc.) and might cause a developer to give up game making forever.

I mean, I get the idea behind wanting to make a living by being creative. But one of the reasons why I'm so fond of the free indie game concept is that it's, well, free. These games are surrounded by a discourse that is indeed free, where everyone can participate, where thoughts can be exchanged and concepts can be changed without the constant financial pressure. In my opinion, that is an important aspect of what creativity should be about.

Sure, there definitely are exceptions. But in 80% of the cases, if I were to always blatantly say what I'm thinking (which, of course, I don't actually want to do), I would discourage game makers from going commercial.

Well, if you think about it - it's very similar to your favourite YouTubers earning $1000s per video they release, what once was a hobby a lot of the time naturally evolves into something else.

That being said, there's nothing to say that Developers could operate a "pay as you feel" type business model or accept donations after releasing a free game, but this isn't as reliable as it's incredibly hard to make people part with their money.
Yellow Magic
author=Feldschlacht IV
There are a lot of serious real world sociological, economical, and environmental issues to longer human lifespans that we are just beginning to deal with (baby boomers being the prime example) that we have to seriously examine and figure out before everyone is just like "live forever yay!".

Overpopulation is just the first and easiest one that people can think of. There are tons more.

Couple points:

- No one's saying we'll live forever. As Aubrey de Grey's famously said, stopping or even reversing aging won't stop you from getting run over by a speeding truck.
- Are you implying that we shouldn't work to end/reverse aging simply because we have to worry about issues like overpopulation? Then what's the point in cancer research?
I'm not saying we shouldn't do anything. That's incredibly simplistic either way.

I'm just saying there are points to consider, such as: overpopulation (the one that most people think of, but probably not actually the biggest point), resource consumption, effects on the economy by the elderly retiring later in life, leaving less room for youth employment (this is a big one that the Western world and especially Europe is currently on the cusp of), effects on the environment via more people being around, the mental effects of longer life (as some old people will tell you, living for a long, long time can be something that one can tire of) and other things.

Yes, we should explore methods to slow aging, but progress isn't linear, and one good thing in one area doesn't guarantee great things with other secondary effects. Responsible progress keeps in mind all ramifications of progress.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I post my unpopular opinions constantly in all kinds of threads... Here are some of the ones that have spawned big arguments!

- I don't think copyrights should exist at all, I think anything creative you make should instantly become public domain.
- I think that the purpose of artists is to create art, and if they are doing a shitty job or valuing themselves above their art then the art should be stripped from them and given to someone else who will treat it better.
- I think that if people are willing to pay a certain amount of money for something then there's no ethical problem with selling it for that amount.
- I think fedoras are legit stylish. There seems to be some stigma to them now that apparently has something to do with Reddit? I don't really get it. Fuck Reddit, the noir detective look is stylin'.
- I think the stories in video games are extremely terrible. Universally. Every single one. Some of them seem acceptable, but only because video games are a uniquely immersive storytelling medium. No video game has yet taken advantage of this fact to tell a story on par with even a B-rated action movie.
Yellow Magic
author=Feldschlacht IV
I'm just saying there are points to consider, such as: overpopulation (the one that most people think of, but probably not actually the biggest point), resource consumption, effects on the economy by the elderly retiring later in life, leaving less room for youth employment (this is a big one that the Western world and especially Europe is currently on the cusp of), effects on the environment via more people being around, the mental effects of longer life (as some old people will tell you, living for a long, long time can be something that one can tire of) and other things.
Um, yeah - you're basically saying "there are X consequences to consider" which is stating the obvious, honestly. It just so happens that the researchers are really smart people and are aware of pretty much all of these...

You should look into Aubrey de Grey's material, sometime, if you haven't already. There are tons of videos of him talking about this stuff on Youtube (in which he repeats the same things time and time again...probably because potential funders just won't listen. I really don't get why people are so apathetic about this - okay, if you don't want to live that long, just off yourself when you're ready? You should at least have the choice.)
Ok I have 2 things.
Virtual Reality.It's the future of gaming and how we are going to use the internet.It's in it's infancy and marketing to a niche crowd right now but it will be the status-quo one day.

Second,I think Drugs should be legal not just weed all of them.If they are properly regulated and taxed.people are going to drugs anyways legal or not.It makes it safer for every one.And will end the war on drugs overnight.By the way I don't do drugs never have never will.
author=YM
Um, yeah - you're basically saying "there are X consequences to consider" which is stating the obvious, honestly.

Is it really?

author=YM
It just so happens that the researchers are really smart people and are aware of pretty much all of these...

Being aware and being capable of solving or even addressing them are two different things, even for 'really smart people'.

I'm just saying that it's a complex issue. A very, very, very complex issue. myself, I'm pretty apathetic about it; I think we should try to solve our more pressing social issues that people have a habit of perpetuating before we start living forever to be able to fuck up for even longer.

And that's my opinion!
@LockeZ - RE: Fedoras, I love em. Besides, most of the time it's not fedoras that are used in the douche images, but a different kind that is similar to a fedora. People are just stupid, unfortunately, and some idiot said 'oh fedooooora' and all the little sheep started bleating without realising it wasn't, in fact, a fucking fedora at all.

SO, yeah, fedoras are stylish as fuck.

http://goodmenproject.com/featured-content/brand-thats-not-a-fedora-and-stop-wearing-it/
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
@LockeZ Excuse me, I own two fedoras.

@Liberty Transformers is a really bad example because it is a product placement for a toy. BTW, I have no problems with product placements in movies so long as they're not obviously a product placement (Skyfall, I'm looking at you.)

@Feldschlacht IV It's not that we can't solve these social problems such as overpopulation; it's just that...well...are you going to do what has to be done to solve the problem?

@Yellow Magic Here's a quote from an article I wrote on Examiner.com years ago:

"There are those that think that in time, indeed very shortly, anti-aging will become a reality of medicine source. Enter Aubrey David Nicholas Jasper de Grey source. He specializes in artificial intelligence and biomedical gerontology (the study of aging). He has a working theory source (when I say working theory, I mean he has dedicated considerable resources, time, and life to a very well mapped out idea) that by "perturbing" cellular processes, that the life span can be extended by thousands of years, or indefinitely. Slowing down cellular aging...that is what scientists speaking against anti-aging hype say would be necessary to truly thwart the aging process: the replacement of deteriorating cells and materials, a process inherent in all things, animate and inanimate."

I personally think it's possible. Also, I think that the work being done in robotics is worth looking into, also.
FULL DISCLOSURE: I think fedoras in 99.5% of contexts look dumb as hell. Mostly because most of the individuals who wear fedoras don't know how to dress, and I don't mean complex, subjective fashion rules that the average joe might not know, I mean, basic shit, like somehow I always see people with fedoras with crumpled, faded wolf shirts or baggy, ill fitting jeans or something. Not knowing how to dress is bad enough, but +1 fedora just makes it worse.

It's not exactly something that reddit started (but it did make it more well known), I mean, it's just something that's common opinion anyway. Before anyone says "well, that's just your opinion, man", yeah, I know, do you or whatever, just don't expect people to like it.

author=piano
@Feldschlacht IV It's not that we can't solve these social problems such as overpopulation; it's just that...well...are you going to do what has to be done to solve the problem?

I am more or less kinda ambivalent on the matter of aging either way, so I dunno.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Aging is a useful tool to help prevent there from being so many damn people.

On the other hand, if everybody could stay smokin' hot for 80 years and then die at the same time as they would have died of old age, I see no downside.
LockeZ
Feld: when I wear a fedora I dress like this. Acceptable yes/no?

Mawk saw this pic one time and just screamed "FEDORA CONFIRMED"
Neat. And reminds me of Baccano!, which makes it even better.
I've got another unpopular opinion to share.

I think all schools should have mandatory sexual education classes that don't split off in to male/female sectors and cover more than just 'this is a condom. this is how you use it. don't have sex, kids.'

Such classes should go for at least a Semester and cover:
- bodies: male and female. How do they work? What are fundamental differences? What happens to them as we mature? What should we look out for as signs of issues not only in our own body but in others'? What should we do when such issues arise? What is an issue and what is normal?
- sexual relations: how to have sex, positions and how not to get hurt when doing things, how to care for your partner during sex, what it can entail, what is natural and what isn't, bodily fluids
- pregnancy: your options, the legal side of it, what you will need to go through if you choose to raise a child, what you will need to do if you want to raise a child, options for and against it, abortion vs adoption, prevention of
- doctors and medical how-to's: how to talk to your doctor about sexual issues, how to take care of your body properly, scheduling appointments
- sexuality, kinks and arousal: sexual identity, no pressure, what a kink is, arousal and how it works
- rape: What counts as rape, what the laws are concerning it, how to report it, how to protect yourself and each other, how it is not your fault (it's not enough to just say it isn't. talking about why the body responds to certain stimuli and how that can affect you physically and mentally), why it's a bad thing*
- laws: What rights do you have to your own body? How can you deal with someone taking your rights from you and what are you legally allowed to do? How can you seek reparation?
- Doctor appointment: basically arrange appointments with a doctor to let the kids actually get some practice talking to a doctor about such things and get them to ask personal questions they might be afraid to ask in the classroom environment.

Among many other things that I'm sure I've not covered. The stigma around sex, sexuality and the secrets of the sexes needs to stop because it's bullshit. In my teens I had a decent sex-ed class but it was a split affair and I don't recall much because we girls sat outside on a cold day and had some candy given to us. We didn't learn about penises except that they existed. We didn't learn about a lot of the stuff that I pointed out above. We talked shyly about periods - shyly because even though we were all young women who had the damn things, society had driven the stigma of a normal bodily process into our young minds, making it feel dirty to talk about.

I repeat, we girls felt wrong talking to each other about something that is 100% natural - that half the fucking human race deals with on a day-to-day basis - because it is seen as something horrible. If I even mention it to my own mother, in a room with no-one but us in it, she talks in hushed whispers and tells me off if I don't allude to is as 'ladies business' and calling me unladylike and crass if I want to discuss it in any way what-so-ever. That is bullshit!

The more that kids learn to be open about such things in schools, the more likely they will feel more like they are equals and understand each other better. Women from Venus and Men from Mars bullshit? No, go fuck yourself. It's society building walls between the sexes to make it seem wrong to talk about our bodies to each other that causes this kind of shit in the first place. Everyone knows - through history it's been show a hundred, thousand times - discourse is the best way to understand someone else's point of view. And we need more of it.

*(seriously, there are people out there who think it's 'just sex' and thus that it's not as bad as people make it out to be)
-
Pages: first 123 next last