SHOWCASING AN RPG AT A CONVENTION TABLE

Pages: 1
So in the far distant future I'll be showcasing a game-in-development to random passing strangers at a convention. It's great to get feedback from people irl especially to get their reactions and to even know your games problems from an impressions standpoint right away. I've had experiences showing games in cafes, bars and small indie gatherings. However those were all actiony games that were easy to jump into (and jump out of).

Obviously RPGs can be text/cutscene heavy in that there's investment required compared to say a game made for an arcade cabinet. RPGs are also exploratory in nature so there's a lot of finding items looking at menus and such. So I've been thinking of ways to make it easier to have a better impression and also get raw feedback. My main idea is to have the demo forwarded a bit more into a linear part of the game with 'edited down' cutscenes specifically for that demo.

My question is, has anyone shown their RPG at a convention before? If you care to elaborate: What was the experience like? Did you do any adjustments/preparation to make it easier to pick up and play? Did you realize what you should have done? Did you learn something from non-RPG players or even non-video game players?
I've never even been to a convention before, let alone exhibited at one. Sounds like a cool idea, though. I'd definitely be interested in hearing stories from people who have.

Is your project commercial, Darken?
What convention will you be attending?

I never bothered with anything more than handing out posters/info-cards, but I did venture to PAX-East last month, and it was pretty swarmed with indies, including even a few RPGMaker games. I think you already hit the nail on the head, but it's best to bring something very gameplay-oriented (and visually compelling) if at all possible. Conventions thrive on spectacle, so it's not necessarily the right environment to showcase something heavy on story.

PAX also had a lot of game design panels, so I'd check those out. It can be pretty fun and fulfilling to discuss your project in real life, even though it may seem odd at first lol. A lot of the insight tends to be universal, no matter how small or large your game is.

But yeah, I'd capitalize on your best art/gameplay assets, and definitely have some sort of video display if possible. There's a lot of competition from the larger indie scene nowdays.
Pages: 1