[RM2K3] I DON'T UNDERSTAND TIMING!

Pages: 1
So basically when you walk into the city I made, I have a Show Picture that says "Hudson City" that is white and flashes above, then slowly fades away. It's just like the title of the town. In my Move Picture I want it to be 0% transparency and last for 4 seconds and have a second Move Picture that has 100% transparency that lasts for 4 seconds so that it fades away. It works, except that it pretty much skips over the 0% transparency one, and so it fades immediately. It just jumps down to the bottom line. So, I was thinking of using timers but I don't really understand how they work. And the "Wait..." worked except that then my character can't move.

I'm a total noobie. I just started this program a few days ago. Oh, and it's on event touch.

Thanks for you help! =)
author=Sated
http://rpgmaker.net/tutorials/123/

Thank you! Although, I haven't seen a box for "Wait for completion"...
author=Sated
When you use "Move Picture" there should be a check-box that you can tick to have the rest of the event wait for the "Move Picture" command to finish. It should say "Wait Until Done" or something like that.

Oh! Right. When I click that, my character doesn't move.
From the top:
Make an auto-start event. On page 1, use all the default start conditions (no boxes checked) and add your show picture: 0% and move picture: 100%+wait. Next, erase that picture. Then, at the very end of your event script, turn a switch ON (any switch will do). Create a second page that is NOT auto-start. Set it to action key and give it a starting condition for when that switch mentioned previously is turned on. Save the event. That's all you need there.

Next, go into all of your teleport events where you teleport off that map, and turn off that switch.

So basically, when you walk into the map, You get the name of the town, it fades away and turns on the switch. Then, when you leave to the world map or whatever, the switch is turned off so that next time you show up to the town, it can turn on again. If you do that, you should be able to move the hero after the switch is turned on.

If you want the hero to move while the name of the town is shown, instead of an auto-start event, make it parallel process--meaning that event script runs alongside any other events, regardless of their start conditions. You'll run into more timing issues if you go this path though.

That's probably the simplest way to handle it. There's some more advanced things you could do, but I won't go into that for now.
Thanks! The only problem is when I have it at Parallel Process, every time I leave a building and enter back into the town the name pops up, which I don't want. Even if I have a switch turning off the name of the town when I leave the building it'll pop up for a split second since it does't register that I want it off immediately. I only want it to pop up when I enter the town from the world map, not from a building.
Yeah, you'd have to turn on the switch in every teleport within the town, and turn off the switch in the teleports where you leave the town.
Ah, finally! It took a while because it kept affecting other things but I finally got it to work. Thank you all! =)
Pages: 1