RPG MAKER VX

Pages: 1
Hi, I was making a ice level and wanted some slippy floors to slide on. I was going to do it by events but after a long thought process I couldn't think how to do it I was wondering if there are any scripts about for rpg maker vx that will let me do this
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Couldn't you do this through move character events.
Player touch, move right right right, etc..
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=Soulbladesba
I was going to do it by events but after a long thought process I couldn't think how to do it.

I'm mostly sure you put an event that looks like...

...that next to the places where the player is most likely to stop/start.
Marrend
Well, okay. I'll totally admit to not testing that event at all to see how it would actually function! Though, I'm 90% sure terrain tags are not a thing in VX. Let me double-check that, before I make a complete idiot of myself (again).

*Edit: I don't see a place to alter terrain tags anywhere in VX. The lack of "tileset" tab in the database was a good indication to me, but, just to be sure, searching the Game_Map class for "terrain" returned no results.
sorry about the vague topic title I found a bunch of terrain scripts for vx ace so I made it clear what engine I was using and forgot about the actual thing I needed.
Cheers for how to do it via events Marrend
the only issue with your event is that it stops and starts rather then sliding along
Marrend
This is for VX Ace? You can probably do what Sated is suggesting with terrain tags, then.

The bigger probelm with my event-code, from what I'm noticing, is that the character won't stop trying to move, for whatever reason. I thought the "skip if cannot move" flag would prevent that. I suppose I could delve into my Wand of Blasting code, as the bullet slid along reasonably well. Then again, that would probably be way too advanced.
Marrend

This screen is where you store a terrain tag into a variable for VX Ace. The processing should be very similar to Sated's example otherwise.
sory no its not for vx ace, but its nice to know how to do it on there
is your wand of blasting code script based or event based?
Marrend
author=Soulbladesba
sory no, its not for vx ace, but its nice to know how to do it on there

...Did i not just say that you can use Sated's example as a base to create a similar event in VX Ace?

author=Soulbladesba
is your wand of blasting code script based or event based?

A majority of the processing is done with event-commands, though, some of them use the Script event-command. There are also scripts in place to make certain functionality occur. Such as the bullet the wand makes being able to pass over tiles with a certain terrain tag, and checking to see if an event that was hit by the wand has an action to perform.

If you are really interested/curious, well, er, you can try playing this game to get a feel for how it functions?
author=Marrend
author=Soulbladesba
sory no, its not for vx ace, but its nice to know how to do it on there
...Did i not just say that you can use Sated's example as a base to create a similar event in VX Ace?

I am sorry but that comment really makes no sense, the magic bullet script still needs the ability to terrain tag if I am right?

I have done it with a similar event you mentioned at the start however instead of making the event repeat continuously I have made it so that it steps 30 times which is the total length of the room. This causes issues however as it means that if it goes onto non-ice areas of the map it continues to move.

I was wondering if there was a way to register what direction a character entered an event so I could manually figure out how many steps would need to be used in all directions.
Marrend
author=Soulbladesba
The magic bullet script still needs the ability to terrain tag if I am right?

No. It can function without the use of terrain tags. All it uses terrain tags for is to ignore certain obstructions, such as water tiles. Otherwise, the basic functionality is for the bullet to keep moving until it hits something. Which is, generally speaking, what ice-sliding puzzles are about.

author=Soulbladesba
I have done it with a similar event you mentioned at the start however instead of making the event repeat continuously I have made it so that it steps 30 times which is the total length of the room. This causes issues however as it means that if it goes onto non-ice areas of the map it continues to move.

Like, having 30 "Move 1 tile forward" commands, or what-have-you? Er, yeah, that's probably not the best move!

author=Soulbladesba
I was wondering if there was a way to register what direction a character entered an event so I could manually figure out how many steps would need to be used in all directions.

That would be...

...a Conditional Branch. Or four.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
It depends on the type of slippery you want. If you don't want the player to have control, most of the above posts should help you. Even if that's not what you want, the above posts should give you an idea. When I made slippery floors for my game on the RM2K3 Golden Week of Gaming, I put touch tiles down with conditional branches to see what direction the player was facing. I fixed direction so you couldn't change facing and increased move speed to max. You could still control the character, but it was really difficult and there were holes to fall into.
Marrend
author=pianotm
It depends on the type of slippery you want. If you don't want the player to have control, most of the above posts should help you.

That's true, and what I had in mind. I even went so far as to test...

...this event out with a small-ish map. It seemed to function well enough. If it's the kind of slippery where players have zero control, that is!
Thanks guys massive help, however is that a screenshot of rpg maker vx there that your using a terrain tag in?
Marrend
VX Ace. VX does not have terrain tags. Didn't... you say you were working in VX Ace? Wait, where was...

author=Soulbladesba
sorry about the vague topic title I found a bunch of terrain scripts for vx ace so I made it clear what engine I was using and forgot about the actual thing I needed.
Cheers for how to do it via events Marrend

author=Soulbladesba
sory no its not for vx ace, but its nice to know how to do it on there

Oh. Derp. For whatever reason, I thought these meant... Nevermind, what I thought!

So, er, I guess the thing I had before was a solution, if a really bad one. Though, you'd have to check player position both before and after the "Move 1 tile forward" command to see if the player has, in fact, moved.

I should have a screen up momentarily to show what I'm thinking.

*Edit: You might have to hard-refresh, but...

...this is what I was thinking of. I'm not really sure how else to do it, to be honest!
Pages: 1