SUPREME COURT STRIKES DOWN BANS ON GAY MARRIAGE IN US

slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/06/26/supreme-court-gay-lesbian-marriage/28649319/

The Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage across the United States in a divided ruling that will stand as one of the major milestones in its 226-year history.

This is pretty fantastic news. I'm really shocked by how close it was, though: 5-4. Jeez.

Anyway, huzzah \o/
unity
You're magical to me.
OMG YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Recommended twitter feed if you feed on the tears of bigots

Horray for the 14th Amendment! Congratulations to all Americans that supported SSM!

e: The Travis County Clerk's office in Austin, Texas was fully ready for this ruling. They're open all weekend to help get people enjoy their new rights to get married!

In contrast to what the Texas state attorney said:
The Texas attorney general, Ken Paxton, said in a previous statement he recommended that “all county clerks and Justices of the Peace wait for direction and clarity” from his office about the meaning of the Supreme Court’s ruling, and reiterated that “the law in the state of Texas is that marriage is one man and one woman.” Yet at least a few clerks in some of the state’s largest counties suggested that they would not wait for guidance from the attorney general but would start issuing marriage licenses after county lawyers reviewed the decision.
From NY Times article 'Legal Standoff Expected in Texas'. Go Travis County!

e2: In contract to Williamson County, Texas:
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Did you hear that Meg? Guys can marry other guys now. So this is awkward but... I mean if they can do that... that is pretty much it for you, isn't it? I mean you as well pack it in. Game over.

- Family Guy

In all seriousness, this is great news. It's about time this happened over here.
author=Sated
author=GreatRedSpirit
Recommended twitter feed if you feed on the tears of bigotsHorray for the 14th Amendment! Congratulations to all Americans that supported SSM!
Feeds like that are why I'm never moving to America.

I find it scary that almost 50% of Americans vote for the Republicans. I truly do.

Welp, that's enough for today! Reading any more will just angry-up the blood.
I should've added a disclaimer: Drinking bigot tears can be hazardous to your health if you are a normal, healthy, functional human being.

Instead enjoy people celebrating outside SCOTUS when the decision was announced!
Now all they need is the Metric System and they'll be a modern day country! Woo hoo!
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Like many things, it's just a single step, but it's absolutely still worth being excited about :D

This may be old hat to some other countries, but then again, there are a lot of places where gay marriage isn't even on the political radar, ex. Japan. It's still a pretty big deal!
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
this was an AMAZING thing to wake up to. there's still a lot more queer people must do to liberate ourselves, but i'm definitely celebrating regardless!!

i was for a while worried i wouldn't able to get married by the time i was like 30 but!!! yay!
author=Adon237
this was an AMAZING thing to wake up to. there's still a lot more queer people must do to liberate ourselves, but i'm definitely celebrating regardless!!

i was for a while worried i wouldn't able to get married by the time i was like 30 but!!! yay!

I wouldn't be one to deny you the misery
About fucking time! Gay people have every right to be as miserable as the rest of us. (I kid, I kid)

Now we all just have to endure all the "slippery slope" arguments from haters for the next few...years.

I'm surprised this happened really. Figured America was a few more years away from such a ruling. Congratulations to all the same-sex couples out there!
author=dinkledaberry
Now we all just have to endure all the "slippery slope" arguments from haters for the next few...years.

It's been going on for years already. Everybody has already tuned them out, second verse same as the first.

e:
author=Justice Kennedy
"The Constitution promises liberty to all within its reach, a liberty that includes certain specific rights that allow persons, within a lawful realm, to define and express their identity. The petitioners in these cases seek to find that liberty by marrying someone of the same sex and having their marriages deemed lawful on the same terms and conditions as marriages between persons of the opposite sex.

No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice, and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were. As some of the petitioners in these cases demonstrate, marriage embodies a love that may endure even past death. It would misunderstand these men and women to say they disrespect the idea of marriage. Their plea is that they do respect it, respect it so deeply that they seek to find its fulfillment for themselves. Their hope is not to be condemned to live in loneliness, excluded from one of civilization’s oldest institutions. They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right.

The judgment of the Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit is reversed.
It is so ordered."

#Chills
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
On sunny days, I go out walking
who's the richest guy here
this is such a great day to be alive
unity
You're magical to me.
author=JosephSeraph
this is such a great day to be alive

This, totally! A million times :DDDDDD
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Am I allowed to shit my pants yet?

TGIF