RPG MAKER 2000 VALUE! IS NOW OUT IN ENGLISH!

author=Archeia_Nessiah
If you mean RM2k! Value. Yes. They recently updated it to be compatible with Windows 8, which we have but it still seems to have issues. You can see it over here: https://tkool.jp/sp/valueplus/index

It's the most popular RM in Japan after all.

Yeah RPG Maker 2000 was kind of awesome and special for a lot of people.

I am kinda tempted to start over the game in it... but many things I have done in the game so far work only with the expanded options of RPG Maker 2003
Unfortunately RM2k isn't RM2k3 with turn based battle. A lot of event change, database change and graphics change which are only in RM2k3 for example: frame, moving battle background, hero classes, max level, a few change in database, transparent message window, menu (status, change), condition for start event, a few new event command - which aren't common with active time battle system, and are only in RM2k3.

Hope are in patches, but probably easily is make change atb for turn based battle, than get all changes for RM2k. Cherry wrote this patch for 1.08 version RM2k3, which was very nigh did RM2k style battle in default battle system RM2k3.
It's like Enterbrain is going out of their way to avoid simply developing one single RPG Maker toolkit that has all the good parts people liked. Like they fear if they put all the good features together it would cause a space time continuum meltdown.

Every other game engine out there simply releases improved versions of the previous one. I never really got this shattered feature start-over mentality Enterbrain has. Let's improve some things and then completely forget we improved a lot of other things and then start over just to make sure there's plenty of new bugs too.

You can't really say RPG Maker 2000 Value is still supported until it has things like using modern video API interfaces, 32-bit color support, and a bunch of other features we've had standard for over a decade.
Or maybe they just are releasing what they have so that those who want to use them can, instead of piss-farting around dealing with making some sort of patcher shit that will cost them money that could be put into better, bigger things.

If you want to use more stuff, use fucking Ace and quit bitchin' about a 15 year old program not having what you want, ffs. 2k3 and 2k were released because we asked for them and probably to bide time while they get the new one ready (this is the right year). You want more? Use the new makers. Frankly, I'm quite fine with just a touch-up or two and an official translation (and thus, license for using the resources/sell older games that don't fuck around with illegal patches and bullshit).

I hope all of your complaining isn't stressing out those who worked on getting us these gems because they don't fucking deserve to have people shitting in their faces over what was just supposed to be very simple fixes and an official translation.
Well, to be fair, XP is a pretty shit engine in comparison. The only thing it did right is the mapping - even the resources are pretty ugh. (though for some reason their designs are pretty cool, the way they're drawn is pretty bad)
I don't like VX ACE (Yes I have this program in sream), because it have stupid map system, use alpha in graphics (big weight), don't have retro style and very hard make this (no only resize 2x materials - screen scrolling is only 1 pixel, so have half pixels in retro style), big weight (materials must be bigger) and a lot of things which is no retro (for example no bitmap fonts).

RM2k3 have patch EULA, RM2k maybe get this. So I don't know why you are angry.
Because it was never meant to get patch EULA, but assholes pushing for it over and over and causing stress to the people who translated it forced the issue. It's bullshit and should never have happened in the first place. The only reason they went ahead and allowed 2k3 is because it is, effectively, abandoned due to losing the code.

I very much doubt they will allow patching EULA for a program that isn't abandoned and whose code they still have - it'd be stupid, plain and simple - and putting pressure on Nessy and Cherry about it in this thread when it's not up to them what happens is fucking pathetic. Causing stress for two people who just did the job they were hired for is stupid and wrong. Fucking hell.

You have the choice to use non-alpha images, you can make retro style (in fact, many already have), and use smaller resource sizes and bitmap fonts if you so desire. I've seen it done. It just takes you getting off your ass and actually working to make your game look how you want it to instead of having it handed to you on a silver platter.
Wait, 2k3 allows you to legally use third party patches now? Fuck yes! I remember reading on the Steam forums that CherryDT a few years ago had been working on a rudimentary scripting engine for 2k3; excited to see it I can legally implement this
I tried, and I can't use no alpha graphics because I lost transparent colour in characters and tileset (and other materials). In RM2k3 this color is first color in 8bit palette, but in VX ACE this not work. I must have alpha (so I must 32bit graphics - bigger weight). And of course I can write new tilemap in RGSS with use 16x16 tiles, but I can't change this in editor... So better use old RM.

And VX ACE is slowly than 2k/3 and not good work in old computers.

VX ACE have good database but other things are worse than old RMs (mapping is the best in XP, events in 2k/3)
If you want to use more stuff, use fucking Ace and quit bitchin' about a 15 year old program not having what you want

I just said each maker adds and removes stuff. Ace does not have more stuff, it has different stuff. Normal game engine series improve existing features while adding more being a clear step up from the older version.

You want more? Use the new makers.

Or I can just make one that has everything we ever liked in a single toolkit for everyone to use for free. Oh wait.

I hope all of your complaining isn't stressing out those who worked on getting us these gems because they don't fucking deserve to have people shitting in their faces over what was just supposed to be very simple fixes and an official translation.

I'm providing constructive criticism. I could devolve into curse word riddled flaming like you are, if it would please you.

Because it was never meant to get patch EULA, but assholes pushing for it over and over and causing stress to the people who translated it forced the issue. It's bullshit and should never have happened in the first place.

Or maybe they understand the needs of the community and are at least trying something to satisfy potential customers. It's one of the few things Enterbrain has done right, credit where it is due.

and putting pressure on Nessy and Cherry about it in this thread when it's not up to them what happens is fucking pathetic. Causing stress for two people who just did the job they were hired for is stupid and wrong. Fucking hell.

I've always criticized Enterbrain, and here I do it still.

You have the choice to use non-alpha images, you can make retro style (in fact, many already have), and use smaller resource sizes and bitmap fonts if you so desire. I've seen it done. It just takes you getting off your ass and actually working to make your game look how you want it to instead of having it handed to you on a silver platter.

I've spent a year and a half preparing a silver platter. Get the plates because you have been served. You don't even have to tip me.

And VX ACE is slowly than 2k/3 and not good work in old computers.

It performs clunky on my new machines too for some reason.

I liked the mapping in XP but it was a tad too complicated. I wished it would juggle the two lower layers for me so I can just paint grass over the dirt I just placed.
author=WolfCoder
I'm providing constructive criticism.

...If you want to call it that, considering it's not directed to anyone in particular... and about a 15 year old engine. Regardless, the people who want to use this engine are going to use it. Most people don't notice the 32-bit color thing anyway. All it really fixes is color-banding and the odd sense that the colors are a tad off. You have to either understand how it was programmed (in that it converts images to 16-bit color) or have a keen eye for color to begin with.

You forget that when early RPG Maker engines came out, there weren't many other engines that were open source getting frequently updated. The idea of open source was still fairly new (1998+), and competition at the time was like Flash, GameMaker & "Klik & Play." Flash still required a professional license, klik & play was pretty much garbage, and GameMaker was still in its infancy and not the most user-friendly at the time. Show 2k & 2k3 some respect for what they can do, not what they can't. You could make an infinite list of things that they can't do--ultimately it would be subjective.

I've spent a year and a half preparing a silver platter. Get the plates because you have been served. You don't even have to tip me.

Yeeeeesh. C'mon man. 20xx is impressive, but you're not going to sell it (figuratively) to people with comments like that.
...If you want to call it that, considering it's not directed to anyone in particular... and about a 15 year old engine.

You forget that when early RPG Maker engines came out, there weren't many other engines that were open source getting frequently updated.

I've forgotten nothing. This is the year 2015 and these tools are being placed in a store that exists in a world with a large arsenal of tools, most becoming free. Also back in the time of 2k/3, it was "free".

Show 2k & 2k3 some respect for what they can do, not what they can't. You could make an infinite list of things that they can't do--ultimately it would be subjective.

I show 2k/3 respect for what it did. Past tense. It has an obvious historical value, but it belongs in a museum.

Yeeeeesh. C'mon man. 20xx is impressive, but you're not going to sell it (figuratively) to people with comments like that.

Hehe ok, I was just making fun.
author=Zachary_Braun
Scumdrop
3. I suppose there is no way to translate an RM2000 game into RM2K3?
RPG Maker 2003 can take RPG Maker 2000 games and convert them into RPG Maker 2003 games, just by opening them. However, the conversion is one-way only, and permanent. Make a backup before trying.

Thanks, dude!

The idea that after all these years I could get SatF out there FOR REAL is very exciting to me. Of course I would have to do a MASSIVE OVERHAUL OF EXCESSIVELY STOLEN CONTENT first, but after they... eyyyyy!
You can convert RM2k3 games for RM2k manually. You must copy all map, map tree and materials for RM2k project and open RM2k3 project and copy all things in database and paste in RM2k project. You will repair all thing which use RM2k3 specification (I written this a few posts up), because this not good work in RM2k. I used to converted my project from RM2k3 to RM2k and I know that this work.
Hi guys, since it's super hard to keep track of bug reports especially in PM, if you have time of the day, please just report over this board in RMW: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/42412-rpg-maker-2000-and-2003-general-bug-reports-thread/ or steam: http://steamcommunity.com/app/383730/discussions/0/541906348040027701/

I know it's a pain but it helps us a lot better to keep track of ;w;
Sadly, official English RTP file names are different in 2000 and 2003 RTPs. This can't be fixed, both have been released already.

This means if you want to port your game from RPG Maker 2000 to RPG Maker 2003 will have to fix by hand all broken dependencies, because RTP ones will be broken.

All names are compatible in the original Japanese version.

I'm adding these new file names to the EasyRPG Player RTP file name conversion table for compatibility between legacy RTPs for RTP-dependent games.
Quick question in regards to the legal English RTP. If I download this, will it replace the non-legal version, or will it be in addition to?

I ask because while it's great to see this finally legal and newer games coming from it, I don't want to jeopardize being able to play previous games that used the non-legal version.
author=Sated
I have to seriously question why the names are not the same. It's surely not that hard...

... but it is a minor problem if you know what you're doing.

The difference is to make it consistent with the newer RMs, making transitions back and forth easier. The event command names also reflect this.

author=amerk
Quick question in regards to the legal English RTP. If I download this, will it replace the non-legal version, or will it be in addition to?

It would replace it in registry unless you change folders I think. Hard to tell.