GAME DESIGN IN GENERAL DISCUSSION?

Pages: 1
This is less of a big issue and more of a peeve, but what's up with people making game design topics/help/discussion in the General forum? Like clockwork, once every week and a half or so there's a topic in General "HAY GUYS LET'S TALK ABOUT GAEMS" that clearly seems to go in Game Design (or sometimes the Videogames forum) and everyone just...let's it slide I guess. It really irks me, because really all that's doing is cluttering up the General forum and siphoning away from the topics where those topics are supposed to be.

I know the General forum could be interpreted as 'literally anything' but that's not what it is.
I tend to move them when I am paying any attention
I think in most cases it's just that the person making the topic is relatively new. it isn't really that much of a bother. just report them when they crop up so the mods can move them, yeah?
i haven't noticed any of these
but i don't check the general forum so
yeah i lost precious game design discussions oh no
This is Feld's subtle way of requesting to be a forum mod.
I've been moving ones I find too. It really is newbies just not understanding the layout that well yet.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Do the mods send newbies a message when their topic is moved? Every once in a while I see someone say something like "Oh! This is where my topic went." And the other 95% of the time I just never see the newbie post in it again after it's moved. Presumably because they think it was deleted or something.
Not usually. By default notices are turned on for topics you make so you get a notice every time someone posts in it. I try to drop a line when I move a topic, letting them know it was moved, so that they do get a notification and realise that it got moved, though.

I also link back to the 'kept' topic in a duplicate topic situation too (unless they realised already that they made a dupe). I got an angry PM from one newbie a while back who demanded I stop deleting their topic and put it back properly. (I'd locked one and left the other open in the same place as before.)

I linked them to the 'kept' topic after their first PM but funnily enough they kept accusing me of deleting all their topics and bullying them by doing so. After a few PMs back and forth where I pointed out they could see the topic in their Topics link in their profile and giving them the link over and over to the one that wasn't locked, they realised I'd been trying to link them to their topic the whole time, that it hadn't been deleted and that it had been sitting there, where they made it, waiting for them.

So, yeah, clarity is a great idea and we should make sure to be clear when we move/change stuff but sometimes being clear doesn't mean the person will understand what you did. ^.^;

author=LockeZ
Do the mods send newbies a message when their topic is moved?

I think this is a good idea. Many forums automate this process.
Maybe we should just delete the forums
nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
author=kentona
Maybe we should just delete the forums

WIP? You've changed your avatar, I didn't recognise you.
Pages: 1