WRITER IN NEED OF A GAME TO WRITE!

Pages: 1
Hi, so I'm a writer and I love fantasy as well as coming up with characters or settings. I haven't done anything here yet, but I wrote a fantasy story on Quotev called Paradise Gate: The five arias which has over 300 reads despite being just over 20% written so far.

http://www.quotev.com/story/6377655/Paradise-Gate-The-Five-Arias/

I watch and play many RPGs in my free time and I look forward to the challenge of writing a game story!
My dream is to be part of an RPG that will be played by my idol Markiplier.
NOTE:
All work by me is voluntary. Please credit me, but writing is my passion, and being able to be part of an awesome RPG is payment enough.
I got a game on hiatus I could use some guidance with regarding the story, even though I (mostly) developed my protagonists. Problem is that I find it hard to develop the NPCs or the villains.

I'll let you know when I get back to it (once I manage to finish my current game, which is about as story-driven as Pac-Man or Millipede)

PS: It might be useful to develop a game by yourself - Mapping and Gameplay Design might be something you're good at, too.
Thing is, just writing is kind of a useless skill. Voice acting, art, music these are skills not everyone is any good at. If you're capable of writing, you're capable of making a far better game than anyone who can't write. So maybe stop writing for hire. When you say I'm a writer looking for a game, you're basically saying "I'm supposedly a writer. But I have no apparent vision."

What works better. Coming up with a story. Asking for a musician and an artist, learning how to code and event, and doing the work. The more stuff you finish versus just write the script for, the more stuff you're able to work on. Instead of saying not my area, I'm a writer, say "give me help with the art for your game and I'll write the code, make the events, animate, etc." Then when you get your own idea, you can call in favors. And rather than a writer you are now the director.

Also, I read the first page of the linked matter. Ccautiously and tthats. Kinda sloppy proofreading job.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=bulmabriefs144
Thing is, just writing is kind of a useless skill. Voice acting, art, music these are skills not everyone is any good at. If you're capable of writing, you're capable of making a far better game than anyone who can't write. So maybe stop writing for hire. When you say I'm a writer looking for a game, you're basically saying "I'm supposedly a writer. But I have no apparent vision."

I disagree with this outlook. Many people have game ideas and some degree of skill in writing and can thus make their own game and learn the other skills they need on the way. That doesn't mean a writer who wants to work for others lacks vision, no more than an artist or musician who wants to collaborate. There are plenty of people who'd rather work this way. Just because it's different than how you or I function doesn't make it less valid.

Writing is a skill that can bring a game to life in so many ways. While most of us want to write our own game's stories, I personally know that my own writing isn't super good, and nothing helps more than working with someone better to get advice, pointers, and help. Don't discount the power of good writing. Of course, it has to be woven into the game in ways that make sense, but writing is very useful, and having a writer on board who can create or punch up descriptions, dialog, flavortext, etc is beyond valuable.
Completely agree with unity.

Creativity is actually also fueled by limitation and restriction - having to do it a specific way, with rules to deal with, you are challenged to still pull off something great. And that is very inspiring in itself.

Thinking that if you can do something you need to make it by your own rules is silly. You may or may not enjoy it more, but that is by their own taste and decision making.
Of course, thinking just because one area is your forte you cannot create your own games is silly as well.
The thing is, many writers walk around with the attitude that they are indispensable. Except in cases where the game producer literally cannot write (failed english, special disability, english as second language) writing is a common skill. Writing for hire, means that you know the structure of language, but haven't the creativity to actually write yourself. That would basically be the equivalent of only being able to copy music other people did. That makes you a ghost writer.

Now, is it possible that you vould have done games of your own, and volunteer to write for others. Sure, and this is admirable, it means you're a creative person who is unselfish. Versus an uncreative person who is doing this only to get work. We all have to do that at one point or another, but it's hoped that you have larger dreams than doing the writing just for others.

This is why stunt men, actors, musicians, directors, all have more job security than writers. The director can write the screenplay. So can the actor, the stunt man, and the musician. The difference, is that movie writers are expected to have a pitch, not i'll write your screenplay. At best, that can give them scraps from real credited writers.

Of course you agree with unity. You don't understand. You've seen secondhand writers, and think well they add alot to the game. No. Writing adds alot to the game. But 8/10 of the population can do writing, at least enough to make a simple story. But if a writer has no vision, they are basically just doing the job you are too lazy to do. Take it from someone who has actually written their book (didn't sell no advertising, but dammit I got it on the shelves). This is backwards. We need to ask him/her to make a pitch.

Megacelebi, if you can PM me with a game idea you like, you're hired, and I will do the mapping and stuff. You just send the script (with parentheses on what happens, like hero moves to tree). If I don't like your pitches well whatever but you'll have come up with your own ideas versus letting other people write your stories.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=bulmabriefs144
The thing is, many writers walk around with the attitude that they are indispensable. Except in cases where the game producer literally cannot write (failed english, special disability, english as second language) writing is a common skill. Writing for hire, means that you know the structure of language, but haven't the creativity to actually write yourself. That would basically be the equivalent of only being able to copy music other people did. That makes you a ghost writer.

Writing is a common skill, but it is one that few people really excel at, and let's face it, most of us are not anywhere near the level of a professional writer. It's also easy to fool yourself in thinking your writing's passable, even if it isn't. Which, again, makes a skilled writer very valuable.

author=bulmabriefs144
Now, is it possible that you vould have done games of your own, and volunteer to write for others. Sure, and this is admirable, it means you're a creative person who is unselfish. Versus an uncreative person who is doing this only to get work. We all have to do that at one point or another, but it's hoped that you have larger dreams than doing the writing just for others.

Again, assuming that being the one generating the base ideas or content is the "right" or "best" way for a person to do things is faulty. People do what makes them happy. An artist who spends her days doing commissions is still as much an artist as any other. And a writer who helps build your game is a vital part of the game-making process.
Now, if that is the case, anyone with that attitude is annoying. Can't blame the the guy here for that, though.
It is, however, a response to most people - like yourself - making it a basic skill for everyone. Please keep that in mind.

Yes indeed we all know how to write sentences down or type it out. Just as we all are capable of drawing stick figures. There is still a lot of depth to be had and missed. The difference is harder to notice, and sometimes may seem indeed irrelevant. But isn't that true for other aspects as well? Does any game really need perfect art?
But in other cases a better write can really, really, really up your game. The last game I played, in fact, would have been three times better with a solid writer on board. And my favorite localization companies are also that because their translations have real charm, as opposed to just the content, and manage to convey humour perfectly as well.

Also, you are assuming that proposing to help others out makes you unable to still do your own stuff.
LockeZ designs boss battles but still works on his own stuff, I did a translation recently and I still do my own stuff - there are artsy people doing commissions alongside their outer work forces without a problem.
You are being unreasonable if you call someone a "ghost writer" for offering to help out alongside their projects.
Yup, writing is as essential a skill as any other.
The idea behind offering to help was that I adore helping people out,and I know that with something as story-driven as an RPG that some people have that skill to program and create, but sometimes it helps to have another's input to add depth or length, and sometimes they can give an idea you never considered. I am still learning in the programming department, and while I work on the skills needed to make a decent game on my own, I really wanted to work with other people too.
The programming needed for a decent game in RPG Maker can pretty much be learned in an afternoon - you could make a great story game where all the programming you need is the Display Text and the Control Switches events.
author=LightningLord2
The programming needed for a decent game in RPG Maker can pretty much be learned in an afternoon - you could make a great story game where all the programming you need is the Display Text and the Control Switches events.

Right,I'll give it a try.
author=Kylaila
Now, if that is the case, anyone with that attitude is annoying. Can't blame the the guy here for that, though.
It is, however, a response to most people - like yourself - making it a basic skill for everyone. Please keep that in mind.

Yes indeed we all know how to write sentences down or type it out. Just as we all are capable of drawing stick figures. There is still a lot of depth to be had and missed. The difference is harder to notice, and sometimes may seem indeed irrelevant. But isn't that true for other aspects as well? Does any game really need perfect art?
But in other cases a better write can really, really, really up your game. The last game I played, in fact, would have been three times better with a solid writer on board. And my favorite localization companies are also that because their translations have real charm, as opposed to just the content, and manage to convey humour perfectly as well.

Also, you are assuming that proposing to help others out makes you unable to still do your own stuff.
LockeZ designs boss battles but still works on his own stuff, I did a translation recently and I still do my own stuff - there are artsy people doing commissions alongside their outer work forces without a problem.
You are being unreasonable if you call someone a "ghost writer" for offering to help out alongside their projects.

Yes it is annoying, but it's how I feel, so. Anyway, I'm personally blocked as far as what to do for a third game. If someone came up with a script, I'd do the mapping and events part. But I'm definitely not hiring a writer so I can come up with an idea for him/her. That's nonsense.

The thing is, there is a difference in teaching method in school. Art, everyone learns stick figures, but not everyone can make something like this. Not mine, I found it. I certainly have trouble. We learned art in kindergarten, but few of us went on to do high def sketches of birds, or draw anime girls. A talented artist or musician can either work for others or themselves, no questions asked. A talented writer, on the other hand, I would expect to have their own ideas and not make me hold their hand. Why is this? Well, it has to do with how writing is taught.

Without exception, pretty much everyone up to college learns English. They learn to write essays, form letters, and resume applications. Pretty much everyone learns to write as assigned. But from what I've heard of creative writing courses (never taken any), they teach the techniques. But the thing is, while you can teach the techniques, you can't teach someone to write for themselves. To love writing, and to be able to tell the story in an interesting way that people enjoy.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/mar/04/creative-writing-courses-waste-of-time-hanif-kureishi

The best favor, then, for someone trying to get more experience as a writer, is to force them to form their own ideas. Not to hire them on to write my idea. That would be something that would not help them in the long run, and since I am blocked, it wouldn't help me either. Megacelebi has actually agreed to pitch an idea, so I'll go with that, and help out with the concept of the game. I told him a simple guideline, that I've done fantasy and horror genre before, so this time I want to try a romance, and have a partner for the story part.

Thanks for explaining your stance, that makes a lot of sense.

I can agree with this being very integral part of writing, and also that we have by default more experience with it than in other fields.

I still believe it can help to push your boundaries and give pour your own influence into a frame (I would definitely agree with letting them do their own thing with it)
But I definitely understand your point now.
Gender says "password". Pffft.
author=bulmabriefs144
Gender says "password". Pffft.

Yea, I have no idea why it's doing that!
Writers do not always get their ideas into the media - only if they also produce it. Many times in a project, people with money hire writers and tell them what kind of story they envisioned and make them write dialogues and actions consistent to the producer's narrative.

EDIT: http://fanfiction.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_fan_fictions_considered_the_worst I do think while anyone can write, not everyone can write well.
I believe anyone can write well, provided they have the time, motivation, and inspiration. I do not believe anyone is always allowed to write well, due to executive meddling.

As much as possible, I want to see people come up with their ideas, and to be able to teach the basics of the programming process so rather than a writer without an idea and game (which for any programmer who is just blocked like me, isn't much use), we have writers that are capable of doing their own work on games, but who are volunteering on projects because they like the game.
I believe anyone can write well. I do not believe anyone is always allowed to write well, due to executive meddling. The other end of the spectrum is critique of course. Being free from editors means people will produce a series of "essays" that have terrible punctuation, half-baked ideas, etc. This is that latter problem. You have to boo down hackneyed writing while still encouraging retries, so the person can actually improve.

As much as possible, I want to see people come up with their ideas, and to be able to teach the basics of the programming process so rather than a writer without an idea and game (which for any programmer who is just blocked like me, isn't much use), we have writers that are capable of doing their own work on games, but who are volunteering on projects because they like the game.
Pages: 1