RPG MAKER MV ANNOUNCED FOR PC AND MAC

The touchscreen/mouse support is going to open up a lot of possibilities, so I'm pretty excited. I wonder if it's going to have pixel movement as an option to go along with that or if we're going to have to work around four-directional movement. The rpg maker games I've seen with mouth support currently are a bit wonky because of the rigidity of the movement/tiles.
wow
i'm going to have a lot of scripts to comission
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=jomarcenter
*ahem* foreshadowing

I absolutely love how you think you're the first to have noticed that, but, I swear I saw comments about the "unknown maker" in that screen before you pointed it out.

Eh, moot point, I guess.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=PepsiOtaku
Maps are automatically three-layered
Hooray. I'm curious what they mean by "automatic" though. I just want 2k3 style mapping and a "no shadows" checkbox.

I want my RMXP style of mapping that let you define your autotiles seperately and with very minimal limitations on the amount of frames you can use for animations, and three, completely independent layers that allow me to edit upper layers without fucking over the autotile layers like the VX duo currently does.

Like seriously, XP had the best mapping system of any RPG maker engine why did they screw it up?
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
Didn't VX Ace just come out jesus christ this is not the upgrade to RPG Maker i was hoping for. if anything the Three Layer mapping is the only thing i'd consider purchasing it for because VX/Ace's mapping is so awful.
I don't see why people keep crapping on about VX/Ace's mapping system. Just as it is possible to make an awful-looking map with XP, is it possible to make gorgeous looking stuff with VX/Ace. I'm living proof of that. It's really the person behind the engine that makes the project stand out in the end, and not as a direct result of the engine's limitations. But that's just me.

But anyway, porting is a step in the right direction. I may skip over Ace entirely and end up using MV when my 2nd major game is complete.
OH. MY. GOD!!! XD

Alright, Enterbrain/Degica, you better don't screw this up and launch this on the west, eh! :P
Great, I'm ok if we only get Vx Ace Plus, because High Res, multi platform, and better mapping are enough for me to buy it, I just hope that we get a new RTP...
author=Luchino
I don't see why people keep crapping on about VX/Ace's mapping system. Just as it is possible to make an awful-looking map with XP, is it possible to make gorgeous looking stuff with VX/Ace. I'm living proof of that. It's really the person behind the engine that makes the project stand out in the end, and not as a direct result of the engine's limitations. But that's just me.

But anyway, porting is a step in the right direction. I may skip over Ace entirely and end up using MV when my 2nd major game is complete.

Agreed ^

As someone who's held off on VXA, I'm excited to see this announcement. xD It'll be nice to have immediate access to side-view battles restored to RM, as well as the XP-level mapping layout.

Also, iOS/Mobile support is HUGE.
XP's mapping system was very, very good - that's why. It was very flexible and really good to use once you understood how. It allowed for a lot of cool stuff. Pity about the rest of the program though.
At least I'll use all the new charsets and sounds they'll be pumping out! Definitely curious about some of the extra stuff they'll add to the database, hopefully with a few new options for characters or something, or increase the HP limit on enemies to be in the millions instead of the hundred thousands. :3
Porkate42
Goes inactive at least every 2 weeks
Soon we will get Super RPG Maker VX Ace Plus Pro!
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
AND MAC

THIS IS AWESOME

*clap clap clapclapclap*
Backwards_Cowboy
owned a Vita and WiiU. I know failure
I can't picture the mouse/touch working well unless they go for 8-direction movement as either optional or the default. I've played a handful of indie RPGs on iOS that were basically ports of RM games, and 4-direction with touch controls does not transfer well. If you don't go the "take up 15% of the screen with a virtual d-pad" route, it just becomes frustrating to move around.

I can see the mobile compatibility being good for good games so they can be ported over, but we all know it's probably going to end up like Steam where the majority of the games manage a 47% - 63% rating at best, and get denounced as scams at worst.
Porkate42
Goes inactive at least every 2 weeks
I just realized something.
VX Ace was $80...
MV is gonna be $100, fuck no.
I agree they should go back to XP's mapping. VX Ace's semi-predictive thing is just annoying to work with.

Mobile support is a big thing, as is support for HD resolutions. I am hoping it'll upscale sharp square pixels because I do like to keep the old school SNES era feel.

And yay side view being back! It should never have left!
I'm mixed with the battle system nowadays. I have no issue with front or sideview. The magical power of scripting really fixes any issues I have in regards to that. Though I am curious how the side view battle system will handle in MV.

With luck it'll be a turn based sideview with animated battlers both monster and heroes, ooh ooh, and a bunch of other stuff too... *slurrrrr*
author=Backwards_Cowboy
I can't picture the mouse/touch working well unless they go for 8-direction movement as either optional or the default. I've played a handful of indie RPGs on iOS that were basically ports of RM games, and 4-direction with touch controls does not transfer well. If you don't go the "take up 15% of the screen with a virtual d-pad" route, it just becomes frustrating to move around.

I can see the mobile compatibility being good for good games so they can be ported over, but we all know it's probably going to end up like Steam where the majority of the games manage a 47% - 63% rating at best, and get denounced as scams at worst.

I'd question anything short of having the avatar go directly to where the player indicated, assuming no path finding. Trying to cram avatar movement to four/eight directions when the player can be indicating a much wider range feels like it'd break how intuitive the controls feel. It's like a player using an analog stick and trying to conform it to a d-pad.

Maybe it would work, I can't say I ever tried. I've played FF Dimensions on a tablet and that's an awful four direction tile based movement and it plays like ass. It wasn't pixel movement like MX seems to be though. We'll have to see how its implemented.

I think the bigger concern is trying to cram the old traditional interfaces into touch screens. Again using FFD tried doing this and it, uh, played pretty poorly for it. The interface was clearly an afterthought. Angry Birds Epic was designed with a touch screen interface and it played much smoother but it wouldn't work so well in a non-touch screen interface. I hope that MX will at least support code that knows if its running on desktop or mobile so the game devs can respond with their interface accordingly.

On the note of scaling, I also hope that MX uses pixel shaders for upscaling (and more!) but I'm pretty doe eyed about this one.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=Luchino

It's not the possibility of making great maps that I'm criticizing, it's the functionality of the system itself.

XP's layering system was about as intuitive to use as photoshop/paint program layers. You just click which layer you want to work in, and you can place your edits, and boom, done. The layers above or below the ones you worked on were completely unaffected, and if there was something you needed to change, you'd just go to that layer and change it without any extra steps.

Then there's VX/Ace. You really only have two layers to work with: The autotile and the regular "transparent" tile layers. If that weren't enough, the autotile and the upper layers automatically merge into one another when placed on a map, so changing any minor detail with the upper layer also affects the autotile layer; you can never alter one layer without it affecting the other. This also makes shift-mapping a total bitch, because any last-minute change you want to make on a map has the potential of reverting any work you've done previously.

Both engines are capable of making great-looking maps, of course, but where making a map in XP merely involves using your tiles deliberately, VX/Ace almost always involves wrestling with the program itself to make it work to your needs.