THE RMN SKILL EXCHANGE

Pages: first 12345 next last
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Not every collaboration has to involve joining up with a team for a long term project. Sometimes, all a dev needs is an example of something to give their creative sides a jolt. Hence, this topic. Here, you can pair up with someone and have a short little skill exchange where you do something for someone else and get something in return. Hopefully, the result of these exchanges will help inspire you and let you see your project in a new light. And perhaps, by helping someone else, you might strike upon an idea that you could use for your own projects!

Examples of skills you can offer:

- A couple of maps.
- Writing a character's backstory.
- A dungeon gimmick (This includes a working prototype).
- A character design sketch.
- Testing a short segment of your game.
- A simple script.

Rules:

- You can only have one exchange going on at a time. After the exchange, you are free to post in this topic offering up a service.
- Only pairs are allowed. No exchanges involving three or more people.
- You must offer up a service first before asking anyone for theirs, and they both have to agree on the exchange for it to take effect.
- Unless agreed upon otherwise by the individual parties involved, what comes out of these exchanges are free to use in each other's games. That's the whole point of this exchange.
- You do not have to share what you have created here if you don't want to. Only the original creator is allowed to share what they have created here.
- If you're creating something for someone else, you need something tangible for it to count as an exchange. Don't just tell someone an idea and not do anything yourself.
- How credit is given to each other is up to the parties involved.
- This is not a long term commitment. Nobody is joining any team here unless they wish to do so after the exchange has been completed.
- You must both post in this topic if you are committing to the exchange so I know to put you in the Current Matchups list. Also, you must post here when the exchange is done so I can take you off the list.

Current Matchups:

Available:

- SnowOwl: 1-2 Parallax maps.
- LockeZ: Scripter. Looking for some sprite work.
- jomarcenter: character backstory writing.
- captainregal: mapping/dungeon gimmick work
- charblar: Sprites/tilesets and/or audio.
- AubreyTheBard: Scripting. Looking for some map tilesets
- GoatBoy: Sprite work. Looking for music or puzzle designs.
- ESBY: Mapping. Looking for a writer.
- PacifisticKiller: writing. Looking for character design sketches or mapping
- the13thsecret: Story planning, review & critique, or Sound looping. Looking for RTP Face edits. Details here.
- Novalux: Title graphic, playtest, character writing, battle mechanics help.
- AceVII Character designs. Looking for pixel artist.
- NeverSilent: Puzzles, testing for XP, Ace, and VX. Looking for feedback on an idea.
- Zephire98 Mapmaking/story. Hasn't specified what they're looking for.
- Mushi420 Music composition. Not looking for anything specific.
- sinnelius Artist. Looking for a writer.
- AbominableFunk Music composition. Looking for artist.
- Kotakota Artist and music. Not looking for anything. Link to portfolio here.
Man, this is a good idea. I'd like to put myself forward for something but I'm not sure that I'll have time. Maybe after this month. Hopefully this sees a lot of people helping each other out.

I'm gonna pin it.
This is a cool idea for people who need quick help.

I could offer:

-Quick/rough sketches of character design concepts, meaning 2-4 drawings comprised of lineart only.

-Help refining/creating atmosphere & mood in levels/maps.

-My thoughts on art design/general art in a game. It's always helpful to have another artist look at stuff and offer a fresh perspective, right?

Speaking of trades, can I enlist your services, Red? I just finished a script draft for something today.
I could do a map or two if someone needs it. It will have to be parallax maps and in my own style though, so I dunno how interesting that would be to anyone.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
author=Pizza
This is a cool idea for people who need quick help.

I could offer:

-Quick/rough sketches of character design concepts (I don't want to say 'finished quality/asset ready' because I need to live off of paid commissions, partly at least.)

Speaking of trades, can I enlist your services, Red? I just finished a script draft for something today.

Absolutely. In fact, non-asset ready is exactly what I need. You've got yourself a deal! PM me your draft and I'll look for a character for you to conceptualize.

EDITED. I read your post right, Pizza. I just typed my response wrong. It's fixed now.
Zeigfried_McBacon
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
A lot of my work is more... behind the scenes type stuff (database and script kiddie grade stuff when it comes to scripts). I'd like to actually be able to offer something to this, though i not sure how or what at this point.
Wait, how exactly does this work? Does someone offers a service and then does it and that's it? Or does the person offer up a service in exchange for another service like: "I'm willing to make scripts in exchange for music".

And if its the latter wouldn't it make sense to post your service as well as what you're hoping to get in return?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Isn't there already an entire subforum for this
No, this is more a swap deal, like "you do this, I'll do that" one-off. This is different as you're instead offering skills to each other.

The subforum is for if you need help in a certain aspect of your choosing and awaiting random people to help.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
It's not though. The description is "Are you a spriter, writer, scripter, musician or artist offering help or resources? Post your offer here. Or make a request for a resource or team member here!"

The thing different here is that the topic has pre-defined what people should expect in return for their work, I guess. At the very least, this topic should definitely be in the Job Board subforum.
Red_Nova
A couple of reasons why this is its own thread:

The exchange part is a big one, certainly. You can ask for/offer help in the Job Board, but it's often one-sided. A person asking for help, getting it, end of story. The goal here is to make it a little more beneficial for both parties. When everyone benefits, more people learn at once and faster. The benefits from an exchange could possibly go beyond just helping someone out; You could learn more about the person you're working with. Who knows? Maybe a longer term partnership could result from an exchange?

The second reason is a little more broad than just getting help in a specific instance. It's supposed to help gain insight into other people's methods of tackling a subject and, hopefully, help you see that subject in a new light. For example: maybe mapping isn't someone's strong point. For this person, getting help for a couple of maps for their project won't do them much good in learning how to map properly in the long run. Sometimes, just seeing another person's process can do wonders for getting the gears turning again.

A little over a month ago, I did exactly this sort of skill exchange with Luchino. I looked over the story for Tristian, and she made some mockup maps for me along with explanations as to how they worked. Those maps were just mockups and wouldn't be used in a game, but they were invaluable to me and made me rethink how I designed maps; Something that I couldn't do with video or written tutorials. The primary goal of this thread is for other people to get that same, "AHA" moment that I had.
LockeZ
Ah, ok, I get it. Sign me up then. I already have my boss design thread, but I'll offer my services here as a scripter, in exchange for someone doing some sprite work for me.

(Should still probably be moved to the Job Board forum.)
charblar
"wait you made this a career?"
I can do graphics (tilesets and characters), audio work (compiling/mixing/looping), eventing (pretty much everything), and some okay mapping I work pretty well with scripts too for sorting out some things but I'm not a scripter in Ruby.

Honestly things like these on all fourms get outdated sooner or later it would be cool if there was a site page for stuff like this where you could plug it in check off some boxes and what not and see if they're active.
LockeZ is right - the Job Board is probably the best place for this. Moving now~ I'll also add it to an Article I'm writing on interesting/great threads to check out.
Red_Nova
author=charblar
I can do graphics, audio work (compiling/mixing/looping), eventing, and some okay mapping I work pretty well with scripts too for sorting out some things but I'm not a scripter in Ruby.

While it's great to offer up diverse skills, can I suggest narrowing it down to a more specific set of services like you did with audio? When you say graphics, do you mean tiles? Character sketches? Sprites? Portraits? It'll really help those that are looking for someone to pair up with.
Red_Nova
Hey, so Pizza and I finished our exchange. It was a lot of fun and we both learned quite a bit!

If Pizza wants to put himself back on active list, he can post here. Personally, I'm getting a bit swamped with my current project, so I'll hold off on putting myself on the list for at least a week.
As a result of the trade with Red, I'm gonna need to do some serious work on my own project, so I have to stay off of the list for a while as well.

Sorry!
I can offer/provide character backstory writing service.
This is also the first time I am doing this also.
I can offer some mapping work, for some dungeon gimmick work.
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
I can do a couple *coughs* a lot of maps if anyone is interested, mapping is my favorite thing about game developing so I am willing to help people with it :3
Pages: first 12345 next last