THE RMN SKILL EXCHANGE

Hmmm...okay, I can think of a good possibility for this. What I'd like is some map tilesets. I have some fairly specific criteria for these tilesets, though, and they're a little different from what most people might be used to.

In my project The Legend of Zelda: Forgotten Gates, I use a random dungeon generation system which works by stringing together various pre-made, one-screen rooms. Here's the tricky part: I want to be able to swap out tilesets so that the theme of the dungeon changes, without having to make separate dungeons for each possible theme. This means that all the tilesets used for dungeons have to be functionally the same, and any decorative pieces have to make sense and look good in the same context between tilesets. For example, if a forest-themed tileset had a big tree intended for taking up space in a room, then a mountain-themed tileset would need something functionally similar with the same shape (at least in terms of tiles occupied), like a big boulder.

I'm providing my more detailed notes on terrain in the show/hide section below. I'd suggest that anybody seriously considering taking this on also download Forgotten Gates and play around with it for a bit--it's only a demo at this stage and you can dive right into the dungeon, so it shouldn't take too much of your time. I've only created a forest-themed dungeon tileset so far, and even it has a lot of room for improvement--adding decorations, one-way tiles, damage tiles, etc. Note that it doesn't have to be just one person doing all the tilesets, or even complete tilesets; any pieces are welcome so long as they fit the art style of the game (which is pretty simple and flat). Ideas for cool tileset themes and terrains to fill out the existing concepts are also welcome, whether you want to participate in making them or not (although I won't be giving work for just ideas, sorry).

Terrain has significant importance in Forgotten Gates. It affects the starting background when going into a battle, and the background boosts the effectiveness of its associated element. Every tileset has six basic terrain types, one for each element. Extra tiles may be needed for special terrain like bridges, but those will have an elemental association as well, typically matching the tileset's main theme.

Elemental terrain associations

Light: Associated with brightness and electricity. Could be places where light comes in from above or from a nearby light source, or with sources of electricity.

Forest: Associated with vegetation. Could be places with tall grass or shrubbery.

Fire: Associated with flame and heat. Could be places near open flame or with fuel sources like dry leaves.

Water: Associated with dampness and cold. Could be places with ice or puddles.

Shadow: Associated with earth and darkness. Could be places with reduced light or rockiness.

Spirit: Associated with air, sacredness, and austerity. Could be places that are high, windy, or sandy.

Tileset layout

Each tileset has tiles set aside for representing the six elements. Four of them are regular "land" tiles, two are animated (though they may not appear animated in a given tileset), and there is one "water" tile which accompanies one of the animated tiles. They are sorted in decreasing order of prevalence for the tileset's theme.

The first non-animated tile is always the "base" terrain, associated with the main element. The other three non-animated tiles are fairly common types which look like patches of ground different from the base, like sandy ground in the midst of grass. Next is the first animated tile and an associated surrounding tile. The animated tile takes the appearance of some object which imbues the immediate surrounding terrain with an elemental effect, such as a campfire heating the surrounding terrain. The animated tile may or may not be passable, but in most cases probably will not be. The other animated tile represents the remaining elemental type. They are passable and must sensibly appear as uniform, square tiles which do not affect the appearance of neighboring tiles.

There are also upper-layer tiles for the different elements, to allow for special effects. They may or may not be used in a given tileset, but must be set aside from other use. Most of the terrain types require only one upper-layer tile, but the animated-and-surrounding combo requires nine upper-layer tiles to cover the complex.

Specific tileset plans

Forest: A thriving deciduous forest like the Lost Woods.
1: Forest. Grass. (Ground)
2: Fire. Brown leaves in a pile. (Ground)
3: Light. Sunny area. (Ground)
4: Water. Puddle. (Ground)
5: Spirit. Glowing mushroom with spores on surrounding ground. (Combo)
6: Shadow. Stony area. (Animated)

Desert: A sandy desert with canyon walls like Gerudo Desert.
1: Spirit. Sand. (Ground)
2: Shadow. Boneyard. (Ground)
3: Light. Glassy area. (Ground)
4: Forest. Grass. (Ground)
5: Water. Oasis with palm trees in center. (Combo)
6: Fire. Flat stone. (Animated)

Volcanic: A cave/mountainside with lava flows like Death Mountain.
1: Fire. Cracked stone. (Ground)
2: Shadow. Sooty ground. (Ground)
3: Light. Glowing crystal ground. (Ground)
4: Forest. Grass. (Ground)
5: Water. Blue fire on a pedestal cooling the surrounding ground. (Combo)
6: Spirit. Air coming from a geyser. (Animated)

Waterway: A cave flooded up to the waist.
1: Water. Rock covered in water. (Ground)
2: Forest. Pondweed patch. (Ground)
3: Light. Luminescent microbe colony. (Ground)
4: Shadow. Murky waters. (Ground)
5: Fire. Hanging lantern which warms the surrounding area. (Combo)
6: Spirit. Bubbly spot. (Animated)

Ice cavern: A frozen cave.
1: Water. Icy ground. (Ground)
2: Shadow. Black ice. (Ground)
3: Fire. Red ice. (Ground)
4: Forest. Mossy patch. (Ground)
5: Light. Large ice crystal which casts rainbows on surrounding area. (Combo)
6: Spirit. Snow flurry from above. (Animated)

Snow field: A snow-covered plain.
1: Water. Snowy ground. (Ground)
2: Shadow. Rocky soil. (Ground)
3:
4: Fire. Dry twigs. (Ground)
5: Forest. Pine tree with needles covering the surrounding ground. (Combo)
6: Light. Sparkling snow. (Animated)

Tomb: A sandy tomb like the Spirit Temple.
1: Spirit. Stone tile. (Ground)
2:

Field: A pastoral field.
1: Light. Grassy plain. (Ground)

Mountain: A high rocky mountain.
1: Spirit. Stony path. (Ground)
2: Water. Snowy patch. (Ground)
6:

Beach: A sandy beach with lots of tide pools.
1: Water. Shallow surf. (Ground)

Ship: The interior of a pirate's ship.
1: Shadow. Planks. (Ground)

Jungle: A thick rainforest.
1: Forest. Thick grasses and vines. (Ground)

Slums: A back-alley bad side of town.
1: Shadow. Cobblestone. (Ground)

Grave: A dark grave like the Shadow Temple.
1: Shadow. Grave soil. (Ground)

Swamp: A dank swamp.
1: Water. Muddy ground. (Ground)
2: Shadow. Darker mud. (Ground)
3:
5: Fire. A campfire which warms the surrounding area. (Combo)
6: Light. Glowing swamp gas. (Animated)

So what's in this for you? My primary strength lies in scripting/coding. I have all of the RPG Makers from 2000 through VX Ace, although I haven't actually used XP or VX Ace much and don't know Ruby scripting (I could learn it if I had good enough reason, it's mostly just syntax). I'm also capable of writing DynRPG plugins for your RPG Tsukuru 2003 games (hopefully they'll also be usable in the official RPG Maker 2003 in the not-too-distant future). Unless it's something specifically tailored to your project, I'd want to release whatever I make in RMN's Utilities section for general use. And of course, the larger the subproject you hand me, the more help I'll want to make it worth my while. ;) Mail me if you're interested, we'll negotiate.

EDIT: That last sentence used to say PM me rather than mail me, just occurred to me that could be interpreted as "look for me on the IRC" or something like that.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=captainregal
I can offer some mapping work, for some dungeon gimmick work.
Define "dungeon gimmick work"?
author=LockeZ
author=captainregal
I can offer some mapping work, for some dungeon gimmick work.
Define "dungeon gimmick work"?

I believe that it would be something along the lines of dungeon design with puzzles/game play worked in. Or perhaps just the puzzle design with its intended theme hinted at?
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Okay, I've updated the list. Hopefully we'll see some matchups soon. Come on, people, don't be shy!
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I heartily approve of this topic. Great idea.
author=TungerManU
I can come up with a genius idea in exchange for someone making a game for me based on it.

It is consider as a large project rather as a one time thing. You should make a topic on the job board.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=TungerManU
[just a lame joke, don't include me in the list]

I kinda suspected as much. Using square-brackets might not have been the best way to tell that one is being sarcastic, or telling a joke, though!

*Edit: I'm been hemming and hawing over this thread. As for what services I could provide, I could see me writing a simple script, or maybe infusing characters with silly personalities, or what-not? Unsure about what I might want in exchange, though!

*Edit2: Okay, to be honest, I would love "fanart", but, that just seems like a weird thing to ask for!
I can make some pixelart stuff (Charasets,Character design sketch...).
And i need someone to write me a plot for my game.(I'm just lost at this moment and i can't come up with something solid...so i just improvise and that doesn't seem good at all..)
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
No one is asking for anything yet I think :P Guess we are all way too skilled
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Just to be clear, you don't actually have to ask for something to sign up. Just put yourself on the market.

But yeah, I wonder why no one's asked anyone yet. I'm already seeing a couple of matches from the availability list.
Frogge
Hmm actually I might use some scripts so maps for scripts I guess :P Although I can make as many maps as you wish, I love doing it and I'm willing to do it for anyone, with or without scripts in exchange
ESBY
extreme disappointment
I can offer up mapping in exchange for some help with plot and dialogue etc. I'm pretty good with most tilesets and can do small edits and stuff if they're needed.
I'm a writer, so I can do Stories, whether they are for worlds , characters, places, or just a well written prophecy....

I'm looking for a certain set of scripts, so 1 script for 1 story from the following: - All are VX Ace scripts needed, as that is the only RPG maker I own -

- what is essentially the rune system from Suikoden
- a Blue mage that, when they see an Enemy Skill get 10% towards learning it, and when it is used on them get 50% towards using it
- The FFV job system.
once I have these scripts, if I get enough exchanges I'll think on what others I might need, but they are the main 3.

Also, if you want me to do writing for you, please give me the information you have already decided on so I don't end up writing something that contradicts your plans. Thank You.

EDIT -

- riderx40 ... what kind of plot? whole storyline or just opening scene, general overview or detailed storyline? I could do with a few sprites done, as it takes me about 20x longer than it should to make them...
author=ESBY
I can offer up mapping in exchange for some help with plot and dialogue etc. I'm pretty good with most tilesets and can do small edits and stuff if they're needed.
I don't really need mapping done, but If you can find a scripter that DOES need your services, then I'd be happy to do a 3-way trade map-script-story - you map for them, they script for me and I do story for you.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
author=Red_Nova
But yeah, I wonder why no one's asked anyone yet. I'm already seeing a couple of matches from the availability list.

I guess it also depends on whether both parties believe that the exchange is going to be mutually beneficial. Just because someone offers up their skill, doesn't mean everyone wants it. If you know what I mean.
author=FrozenFayt
I'm a writer, so I can do Stories, whether they are for worlds , characters, places, or just a well written prophecy....

I'm looking for a certain set of scripts, so 1 script for 1 story from the following: - All are VX Ace scripts needed, as that is the only RPG maker I own -

- what is essentially the rune system from Suikoden
- a Blue mage that, when they see an Enemy Skill get 10% towards learning it, and when it is used on them get 50% towards using it
- The FFV job system.
once I have these scripts, if I get enough exchanges I'll think on what others I might need, but they are the main 3.

Also, if you want me to do writing for you, please give me the information you have already decided on so I don't end up writing something that contradicts your plans. Thank You.

EDIT -

- riderx40 ... what kind of plot? whole storyline or just opening scene, general overview or detailed storyline? I could do with a few sprites done, as it takes me about 20x longer than it should to make them...

-More like the purpose of the main character to go around the world...,Like Most of the storyline and The General overview.I already done some events.so i need a general purpose for each main character.And i will be glad to do sprites for ya just PM me and we will get this done.
I can offer a little sprite work or a few character portraits.
In return, I could use some music and maybe some puzzle designs right now.
I won't be able to do anything asap though because I am sick sick sick a the moment.
Frogge
author=GoatBoy
I won't be able to do anything asap though because I am sick sick sick a the moment.

Ahhh I would have loved having your sprites in my game but I'm not good at either of them :\
Red_Nova
author=riderx40
-More like the purpose of the main character to go around the world...,Like Most of the storyline and The General overview.I already done some events.so i need a general purpose for each main character.And i will be glad to do sprites for ya just PM me and we will get this done.

Is this happening? I need to know so I can take you off the active list.

author=ExtremeDevelopment
author=GoatBoy
Ahhh I would have loved having your sprites in my game but I'm not good at either of them :\

That's how we learn.