IS IT POSSIBLE TO CREATE THE EVER SO FAMOUS LV5 DEATH SKILL?

Pages: 1
I have a boss I want to give that skill to, but can't figure out how to replicate it. For RMVX Ace.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

You mean if your character is level 5 it would kill him?
Couldn't you just have a conditional branch for each player checking their level.
If the condition is met then they die, if not then nothing happens.
(This is assuming the skill is targeting all players.)

You would just need multiple branches to check for multiples of 5 if you want to go that way too.

or you could use this

...event it if you can though
don't use scripts unless you absolutely have to
Put this in the damage formula box:
if b.level % 5 == 0;b.add_state(2);0;else;0;end;

What happens here (broken into multiple lines)
if b.level % 5 == 0  ## If target's level is a multiple of 5

b.add_state(1); ## Add state 1, which would be "Death"
0; ## Damage dealt (I think this is required for every outcome)
else; ## If level is NOT a multiple of 5
0; ## 0 damage
end; ## End of the conditional branch

the a % b -operator is a modulus. Simply put it subtracts b from a until you either go to zero or cant go lower. If a & b returns zero, a is divisible by b.

Examples:
10 % 5 = 0
13 % 5 = 3
42 % 10 = 2
49 % 10 = 9
9 % 10 = 9

Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
You probably don't need the "damage dealt" part, or, even, an "else" case. I mean, I haven't tested this at all, but, I'm figuring it could look like...

if b.level % 5 == 0; b.add_state(1); end

...that?
author=Marrend

if b.level % 5 == 0; b.add_state(1); end
Tested it, works.

author=Sated
I know this isn't a design thread, but do people actually think those skills are cool to give to enemies? All it does is force the player to reload and grind a bit to alter their levels... or done really badly, traps the player in what could possibly be an unwinnable state depending on where save-points are placed!
I think its quite poor design to give to enemies, but I liked in some Final Fantasies you had couple hard enemies that could be easy if you had a certain blue magic.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
author=Sated
I know this isn't a design thread, but do people actually think those skills are cool to give to enemies? All it does is force the player to reload and grind a bit to alter their levels... or done really badly, traps the player in what could possibly be an unwinnable state depending on where save-points are placed!

The only game I've seen do this well is FFXIV; where they total up the levels of any players in the area and modulus that. If the sum level of all players in Level 150 Death is divisible by 150, well...
as an aside, I remember in an old unfinished game of mine, a character had a temporary Level Boost skill, with the idea of it being a general buff for battle. It was poorly implemented, but I guess the point I was making is that if you give a boss a instant-kill skill, you have to give the player a reasonable method of countering it.
You can even do this for RM2k3.

Make a switch attack. Common event to test level, and that it's divisible by five with remainder 0. 95 modulus 5 is zero, for instance. If the remainder is equal to 0, attack that character. You would need to rule out monsters however, at least for 2k3, unless you want to artificially assign levels by variable.
author=bulmabriefs144
You can even do this for RM2k3.

I would probably do this with an Element that most enemies are not suspectible to (0 dmg). For "level 5" enemies, give them the 800% dmg attribute, and make the skill do max damage. This works up only up to 9999 (max dmg in 2k3 iirc?), but should be enough since lategame bosses should be immune to this stuff in general.
Sorry for the late reply, my pc crashed and I just got it up and running again. I'll try all this out and let you know, thanks.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
author=Sated
author=LouisCyphre
author=Sated
The only game I've seen do this well is FFXIV; where they total up the levels of any players in the area and modulus that. If the sum level of all players in Level 150 Death is divisible by 150, well...
Honestly, that just sounds like a slightly more convoluted way of being cheap.

The entire basis of the game's challenge is 1) don't stand in the shit, 2) the shit becomes increasingly more difficult to avoid as you progress.

I am not sure how you could translate that into a game without positioning. Perhaps Level 5 Silence or HP % 5 Death would be more appropriate.
Pages: 1