MOBILE SCAREWARE POPUPS

Pages: 1
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
For the past day or so, on mobile, I've been geting scareware popups from a website called mobilean-tivirus.com on rmn. I haven't been having this problem on other websites, so I think it is a problem with the ad platform or something. If that's the case, it might be out of rmn's hands, but I thought people'd like to know it's been happening. I also wonder if other people who frequent the site on mobile have been having the same issue.

Update: I seem not to have the problem on a browser that blocks ads, so I think the problem may indeed lie with the ad platform. Though it may just be the browser blocking the popups.
We use Google Ads and SwitchAds right now. I will contact them both about this.

E:
what mobile platform are you using and what anti-malware software detected this?

E2:
it's hard to find anything on this site right now, must be a pretty new scam. I found this reference to it:

It says

"The page at www.mobilean-tivirus.com says:
WARNING!WHILE YOU LOOKING AT THIS PAGE.
Your phone has (13) Virus!
The Virus may comput you data.
Please follow the instructions to remove Virus
OK"

with the OK a clickable link

... from this thread where this website is discussing it:
http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/AB-Editors-Blog/Question1450374.html

I've emailed SwitchAds. Contacting Google now.

E3:
deeper in that thread, this nugget is revealed:

SirOracle
I am getting the following message which stops the AB site from working.It appears in a rectangle box at the bottom left of my screen and id one line reading : waiting for delivery.platform.switchads.com.

If I don't get a reply soon from SwitchAds, I will do my best to instruct Ankylo to quickly remove the offending ad service until SwitchAds cleans up their ads.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
I am running Android 5.0.2, and was using Chrome when the popups appeared. I didn't use any anti-malware to detect the scareware, I just got the popup and closed the page the moment I saw it. I checked my apps to see if there were any potentially bad downloads lately, but couldn't find anything.

But it seems it really was the ads causing the problem. That's actually a great relief, because I was worried my phone might've had malware on it.

"The page at www.mobilean-tivirus.com says:
WARNING!WHILE YOU LOOKING AT THIS PAGE.
Your phone has (13) Virus!
The Virus may comput you data.
Please follow the instructions to remove Virus
OK"

Also, yeah, that's the popup I was getting.
yeah, from what I gathered from that other thread, it is just a very aggressive looking annoying ad, but no malware is actually installed (unless you click the link and then install it). Scans from MalwareBytes and AVG don't reveal anything.

The best way to combat this right now would be to donate to RMN. Donors don't see ads. ;)
Jeroen_Sol
author=kentona
The best way to combat this right now would be to donate to RMN. Donors don't see ads. ;)

I guess this is the day. :)

At one point I felt so compelled to do it I actually made a paypal account just for that purpose, but then the activation of that account took too long and I lost the motivation to donate. :/
I have the same issue on mobile...
SwitchAds has looked into this, found the offending ad, and removed it! Let me know if you are still encountering the issue

Hi Kenton,

We have been able to replicate this pop up malware and have blocked this from delivering to the site.

Please do let me know if you see any further occurrences of pop up ads and I would be happy to investigate this for you.

Regards,
unity
You're magical to me.
Hooray! :D
Pages: 1