LET'S DISCUSS FALLOUT 4 - SPOILERS (OBVIOUSLY)

Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
So after a Bloodborne craze, I decided to come back to ye olde wasteland. I didn't know it at the time, but I was super close to infiltrating to Institute! Finally, after losing two companions because they were sick of my presence, I have reached my destination! So I arrive a the Institute, revelations were had, and I made it back out. Eager to tell the one person that has yet to kill herself to escape my company, I rush over to Piper to explain the going on. What transpired at the Institute, who as in charge, and what they were trying to do should be made known to the press! The world must be told the story of one man's trip into the shadow organization!

Piper gives me a stick of bubblegum. That's it. Doesn't even mention the Institute. I try to talk to her again, and she just tells me that she has my back. Nothing else.

... I thought the Institute was something you cared about, Piper! How long have you been following this story? I just came back from an encounter with the Commonwealth's scariest organization with news that it is no boogeyman, that it's real, and I'm greeted with this? Was that all this whole investigation was worth to you, Piper? Was that all I was worth to you? Just one lousy stick of bubblegum?

I'm gonna die alone, after all.

God dammit.
... I thought the Institute was something you cared about, Piper Bethesda! How long have you been following writing this story?

sorry
Aw Red, you should meet Curie~ She'll take good care of you! She cares!

Alright, so I had to break out the Power Armour. Luckily I found some on my travels not far from where I am now or I'd be chow!

Found a small town with a settler and a bunch of flies and mosquitoes. Fun times were had destroying the local population, looted what I could find and decided to follow the lights. They led to a raider base which took me a while to clear because one of the raiders was a sneaky fellow who kept throwing grenades and hiding. Finally killed him off as night set in and figured 'eh, lets take a look around the joint.'

From the raiders place there was a small house to the left which seemed to lead to the square of a small town. Figuring I'd cleared out the local danger, I poked my nose in the house, doing a bit of looting. Not much around I spy some movement out of the corner of my eye... a fucking Death Claw bursts through the broken wall to the left of me! I'm using the broken house to kite around this bastard, using what is left of my molotovs and just trying not to get my shit wrecked. Finally take it down!

Woo~ Head across the street and there's a church. It took me a moment to notice the blood bags hanging in there and I was like 'Oh Gods no' but seemed the Death Claw had done me the favour of taking out the Super Mutants. Yay! Climb up the church and get to the steeple when I spot movement from the right... another fucking Death Claw. Okay, lemme snipe that shit!

I start long distancing this motherfucker and it's throwing rocks and stuff at me. Get it down to half health and it turns tail and runs like a mofo! I'm left scratching my head, wondering what to do. Do I give chase? Do I wait for it to return? What do?!

Now, the area it fled to has this high wall and I'm pressing Q over and over trying to activate VATS to see if it's coming back. I just so happen to activate it when the fucker is leaping over the wall. It's doing a fucking back-flip over the damn thing like it's in the goddamn olympics! Awesome form, 10/10!

I snipe at the fucker some more and it runs off again, the asshole. Fuck it, I'm going in! Run after it (hitting that F5 just in case) and I round the corner of the wall only to get my ass exploded by a land mine (whoever laid that is a fuckwit). Now I know why the creature decided leaping over the wall was a good idea.

I reload, round the wall again and stalk my prey... who is nowhere in sight. Fucking hell. So I loot a few buildings, keeping and eye out for the monster and hitting Q every now and then. Around the next corner is a small Red Rocket and I roll up on that like 'Heyo, I can fix my armour!' Nope. Motherfucking DC tried to flank me that whole time, working it's way around the outside of the town to get back to the church!

Sunuvabitch! I unload my subby on it, taking it down in short order (it was already at half health), then scope the area a few more times to make sure there's no more nasty surprises. Nothing out of the ordinary. Great! Back to looting.

Finished looting when I notice a shack on the hill overlooking the town. Welp, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I decide on a quick squiz at what they got going on up there - maybe find me one of those locked trucks since there's a bunch of them laying around the joint - and all's well. Not much to loot, but hey, better than a Death Claw jumping out of the wall at you. By now the sun's come up. Looking to be a nice day!

I'm looking for my dog to load up with my loot when I happen to spy movement in the trees about... say... 5 truck-lengths away.

...Two fucking Death Claws running through the forest. Of course my dumbass dog goes to engage one and sets it on my trail, so I'm raining down a hail of bullets on this beast, popping drugs like you wouldn't believe (thanking my lucky stars I thought to bring that Addictol with me this time) and running out of bullets fast. My guns ain't really good for this type of fight and I'm all out of 10mm and .038s which is JUST GREAT as they're my hard-hitting guns. No grenades, no molotovs. I've resorted to hitting the monster to create some room just so I can get a shot off, and my laser pistols are doing sweet fuck-a to this beast.

Finally, finally I wear the fucker down and kill it.

...I'm contemplating whether I should hunt down the fourth one and go down in a blaze of glory, or just turn tail and head to safer waters (like, oh, Lexington or the Corvega Plant or something) and stock up on bullets again.

I just did not expect to go from blowflies to Death Claws in the space of a few houses. >.<'

Also, this kind of this is what makes Fallout (and other games like it) fun! The sudden 'what the fuck is going on!!!' moments of crazy. ^.^

EDIT: Okay, so it turns out it wasn't a Death Claw I saw that was following the first Death Claw.

...it was a Behemoth.

Joy.

I killed it. Apparently it had been farming Death Claws because it had bits of them on it's body for loot, so... yikes. After that I beat a hasty retreat back home to Red Rocket and upgraded my everything as much as I could.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
10/10 read. That was quite the experience!
author=Liberty
Alright, so I had to break out the Power Armour. Luckily I found some on my travels not far from where I am now or I'd be chow!

I'm not the only one with like, seven suits of Power Armor stashed on deck, right?
Nah, I just wanted to avoid using Power Armour for this run - I'm supposed to be doing an 'only clothes' run, but I've been reduced to having to wear armour and now power armour in order to progress. ;.;

author=Red_Nova
10/10 read. That was quite the experience!

Yeah! And after that I found a bus and was checking it out when suddenly a stone rocked through the window and hit me (minor damage). Scared the crap outta me, but not as much as when I looked out the window and saw another fucking Behemoth just slinging stones! It couldn't get to me since I was in a bus and it was too big to enter, so I just pot-shotted it to death. It was riddled with bullets by the time I was done.

...an eventful day in the Commonwealth for me. XD
There's someone on YT who is doing a One Punch Man run. It's pretty decent and there's some nice weapons out there for melee. (Got a knife that does 50% more damage to ghouls, myself. Not that I use it, but it's an option.)
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
I usually find myself using melee less and less in Fallout, unless I spec for a melee heavy character.
I always end up missing the rat a tat tat tough
Red_Nova
Something had been bothering me for a while, so I went to go look it up. Remember when I said Preston Garvey drowned himself just to get away from me? Well, apparently he's flagged as "important" and actually can't die. But I combed Sanctuary top to bottom to find him to no avail. I guess he fell through the world, and he just happened to be on top of water when the deed was done. I swear I watched him go through a death animation, so I know he "died" but...

*sigh*

Just when I thought I couldn't get any lonelier, I now know that an NPC actually faked his own death and broke the game's own failsafe just to get away from me. I'm gonna go find Curie. Liberty, if you're wrong about her I swear to Atom I'll strip naked and run straight into the heart of the Glowing Sea.
Vault 81, my friend. It will be kind to you.
Red_Nova
So... how often does Curie give me Stimpacks? She promised me Stimpacks, yet I have yet to be given one. I got her to mid level affinity, got a shiny new Synth body for her, yet I have yet to be compensated for all this effort.

;_;
Red_Nova

I just saw this now. Thoughts?
Might be interesting. I know a few people were upset that the Survival mode was pretty much just "Let's make this just a bit harder but the same game." instead of actually being a mode where surviving was hard.

I wouldn't mind if they made the Survival mode start you off in a random location or something, with a quick randomly pre-generated story/class thing. Kinda like the Skyrim/Oblivion mods that do that. It'd add another layer of interest to playing Survival over normal mode, aside from the challenge. Just a basic 'roll and play' type deal. That'd be fun.

:Randomly rolls a ghoul with high Charisma and Luck, low everything else. Start in the dead sea area, one pipe pistol and 10 bullets: ;.;
An improved survival mode would be welcome; it will make the next playthrough more interesting. And a mod/feature similar to the Skyrim mod: "Alternate Start - Live Another Life", now that would change the whole game. Seem difficult to implement tough, Fallout 4 is less open-ended about what sort of character you are then Skyrim.
Red_Nova
I roleplayed this all the time in FO3, though I never turned up the difficulty past Hard, so I'm interested in seeing how Bethesda handles this. I never touched New Vegas since I heard it was just another FO3.

Finally beat the game last night. Ended up doing the Railroad route even though I don't like those guys. I wanted to do the Minutemen route but couldn't due to Garvey's "death", screw the Institute for walling themselves off underground and abandoning humanity as a whole, and screw the Brotherhood for hating on my Synth companion.

... I don't know what to think about the game, to be honest. I feel like I had more fun in my head than I did actually playing the game itself. Writing funny stories about my adventures and random happenings was a lot more fun than clearing out room after room after room of Raiders and Super Mutants without any real plot happening. Here's an existential question for you: if you Is that a testament to the game's design or the imagination of the player? If the latter, does that make the game itself good?

I played FO3, Skyrim, and now FO4. I thought Skyrim was incredibly boring and couldn't get past ten hours each time I started a new character (I tried four times), but FO3 and 4 were loads of fun for me for reasons I explained above. I'm not sure how to feel about that.

Good news, though: Curie has yet to kill herself to avoid me! She won't fork over any Stimpaks which leads me to believe she won't care if I die, but I've made my peace with that. At this point, my pre war life is over and I'm a desperate man. I'll take whatever I can get.
Oh Red, you missed something great with New Vegas, man. It was more story-oriented, for one, and what you did changed the ending of the story a bit more than usual in Fallout games. It also had a more true survival mode, having to eat and drink and it was a really good game!

You should definitely nab it if you see it on sale - whoever told you it was basically Fallout 3 were either idiots or yanking your chain. orz

Red_Nova
author=Liberty
Oh Red, you missed something great with New Vegas, man. It was more story-oriented, for one, and what you did changed the ending of the story a bit more than usual in Fallout games. It also had a more true survival mode, having to eat and drink and it was a really good game!

You should definitely nab it if you see it on sale - whoever told you it was basically Fallout 3 were either idiots or yanking your chain. orz

If half of what you say is true, then I need to have a little talk with the people who misinformed me.

Also, Fallout 4 plus Tom and Jerry = the best video ever made.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
I love Fallout 3, but New Vegas is really really good. (I don't want to say one is better but you'll see once you play both a bunch of times)

I'd take it over FO4, if that says anything. So much content and factions <3

Edit: I also could never get into Skyrim, much like you could only get a handful of hours in. I think the gameplay and engine just work better for a game like Fallout.