CONVERTING GRAPHICS INTO 256 COLOR

Pages: 1
Hi, so in RPG Maker 2003 I figured out how to convert my graphics into 256 color, but a lot of the colors change too drastically. I tested it with the pre-made graphics and their faces turn green when I turn them into 256 color, but aren't they supposed to already be in 256 color? All the skin color is either green or nearly white. I don't know how to stop the drastic changes in color. Please help. :[

Thanks.
What are you using to convert the files? This sounds like something that used to happen to me in Paint Shop a long time ago whenever I used to convert anything into 2k3. I remember those greenish, white colored facesets quite well, actually.

IrfanView is a program that can convert image files into 256 colors and has little very distortion when converting them. It’s quite nice, actually, try using that and see if that helps you out. :)
Another good option is GraphicsGale, which has palette management to go with its conversion routine. It's a fantastic pixel art tool all around, too -- my mainstay for at least 7 years.
I vote for Ifranview as well. It really does seem to do a great job at making the image look nearly identical while still reducing colors.
Download Gimp. You can define each image's own 256-color palette (assuming there are actually 256 or less colors).

The following is copy/pasted from my own instruction TXT file. I haven't actually done it in awhile, and I have version 2.0 which may alter a step or two, but it should give you the gist of what to do.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. File -> Open : open the selected file
2. Dialogs -> Palettes
3. Right click anywhere inside -> Import Palette
4. use Image as source -> Okay
5. close Palettes
6. Image -> Mode -> Indexed
7. Use custom palette -> select new palette -> Convert
8. Save As -> rename it -> Save (both prompts)

Note : Don't forget to make BG the "transparent" color
Thanks to everyone who posted! I considered everyone's suggestions and was able to finally figure it out. :] Thanks again!
Pages: 1